Feet exercises?

MeganReid

I  don't know how old you are Megan, but to be honest I would say it would be best to ask your dance teacher. imo it is better to have someone who knows what they are doing check that you have got it right as tiny differences in technique can make a world of difference with excersises, ballet or any other form of excersise. Most teachers would be really happy to help a keen interested dancer. 

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 1

I agree. Exercises are as individual as pointe shoes and what suits one person won't necessarily suit another. There could be various reasons why a foot is less flexible, and it isn't always due to a problem at the front of the foot.

I too suggest you ask your teacher, and as a next step, perhaps see a dance physio.

Pardon my ignorance Spax but who is and where would I find Shirley Hancock ?My younger dd was told via feedback from RBS that she was stiff in the metatarsals. She does regular foot stretching excercises but something more tailored to her maybe better .

The best way to gain flexibility in the metatarsals is through the careful execution of tendu.  When correctly done it will both stretch and strengthen the foot - and of course it is also correct technically.  And - there is virtually no danger of injury or overuse.

I can answer the question about Shirley Hancock - she's a hugely experienced dance physio who was ENB's physio for many years and now works in Marble Arch, as well as acting as consultant physio to some Vocational schools. She is amazing but obviously you have to be within travelling distance to Marble Arch. :-)

If you're not, then not to worry, there are other dance physios available. I think there was a thread about it a while back.

• Like 2

Yes Shirley Hancock is one of a growing number of very good physiotherapists in the UK. She's worked with many schools and companies over her career, and co-authored one of the most published and referenced books on dance medicine.

Your first port of call should be your teacher who can give advice.

If that isn't successful then try the practitioners register on Dance UK's website and arrange a consult with a physio or someone else suitable who can advise you on the most appropriate exercises to do for the correct part of the foot/ankle. Feet/ankles are very complex - made up of many, many joints and each part can be stretched and/or strengthened individually by doing different exercises. It's important that the most suitable exercises are given and that the dancer is instructed on how to do them with the correct technique, supervised by whoever gave the exercises, before they are 'taken home'.

• Like 2