RAD Primary Ballet exam

balletmummy

My dd will be taking her RAD Primary Ballet exam very shortly. She is 7.2 and has been taking two ballet classes a week out of choice since Pre Primary.  Just wondering what the format is for the exam and any other helpful tips that anyone might have...

Most of all, she is so excited about the prospect of having her first character skirt next term when she moves up to Grade 1 and to (her words) dancing longer dances!

Thanks to all for such interesting and informative pages as our children lead us along the dance route!

• Like 2

The format will be much the same as her usual classes. The teacher will go in with them if its a class award but not if its an exam. They'll greet the examiner and dance their exercises as normal with either the teacher or examiner guiding them through it telling them what's next.

There's more info on www.rad.org.uk/examinations (then choose 'graded exams' from the menu on the left then 'per-primary and primary in dance'). It sounds like she's doing RAD as you mentioned character in grade 1.

My DS will have his primary exam in 2 weeks time as well Balletmummy. This is his first ever exam but he's not worried. My older DD started ballet in grade1 ( saying that primary is not a real serious ballet ;-) ) so we also have no experience with Primary. Good luck to your DD.

My dd will be taking her RAD Primary Ballet exam very shortly. She is 7.2 and has been taking two ballet classes a week out of choice since Pre Primary.  Just wondering what the format is for the exam and any other helpful tips that anyone might have...

Most of all, she is so excited about the prospect of having her first character skirt next term when she moves up to Grade 1 and to (her words) dancing longer dances!

Thanks to all for such interesting and informative pages as our children lead us along the dance route!

Hi our teacher gave the children a dvd and the format of the exam with potential marks.  I must admit for both my daughters we only looked at the dvd a few times and they actually didnt take any notice of the written format.  I got the impression they had been coached well enough in the format and what was to come that it was more of an enjoyable experience for them.

Ax

Hi our teacher gave the children a dvd and the format of the exam with potential marks. I must admit for both my daughters we only looked at the dvd a few times and they actually didnt take any notice of the written format. I got the impression they had been coached well enough in the format and what was to come that it was more of an enjoyable experience for them.

Ax

Unless it was an original DVD she's breaking the law! I'm guessing it was just a copy she'd made herself. Frustrating because our dance school adheres to copyright and we can't get copies of the music, DVD or syllabus unless we buy them from the RAD. I know the specification can be distributed but none of the other stuff can legally be copied.

Hi balletmummy, my dd age 6 is doing her primary exam this month, it's her first one but has watched her older sister go thru them so is excited and looking forward to it, she too has been doing 2 classes a week and concentrating on the necessary exercises and dance. We were given the exam format to practice with and during her lessons she has been told where to stand and who she will partner. On monday they are doing a mock exam with all the mirrors covered. Good luck to your dd and let us know how it goes.

Seems liki so long ago my dd just did her grade 6 today.

When she did her primary her teachers said she would be fine as they only put them in when they know syllabus and they told the children to have fun and smile, a smile can go a long way.

Hope she enjoys the day, let us all know how it goes.

It's still called a class award though they are assessed individually - don't really know why it's not called an exam as such!

I've never known there be a pre-primary exam, it certainly hasn't existed in the last 20 years or so. The teacher may call it an exam though, it's pretty much the same in my opinion!

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the advice and support. What a lovely bunch of people you all are and what a useful and fascinating forum!

DD's exam seemed to go well and she came out happy, which is the most important thing and she is thinking of Grade 1 already!

Do any of you plan to be at the White Lodge Summer Fete in June? DD and DS (4) love the whole day and we are all looking forward to it! Do post if anyone is going as it would be great to meet some of you...

Many thanks to all and good luck to any others taking exams over the next few weeks!

• Like 3