When to apply for summer school?

taxi4ballet

DD is keen to do a summer school this year, so along with hordes of others she has applied for the RBS one - but their date for letting you know if you have a place is still a long way away. We're in a Catch-22 situation... Since the chances of getting in are so slim, do we apply for somewhere else now, or wait until we hear from them? Closing dates for a lot of the other schools are before the Royal results come out, and others might be full by then too. Help!

Hi Taxi4ballet,

as far as I can tell the Prague Masterclass doesn't have a registration date, so you could wait to see if your dd is accepted into RBS and then apply for Prague without having to pay the deposit too early. (This is my plan) There is of course a chance that Prague will be full and you could miss out.

We haven't applied for any others yet, I'm doing a bit of fact-finding at the moment. I don't know what to do really, I'm just imagining whichever way round we do it, it will be wrong... If I assume she doesn't get in the Royal, and decide to book (and pay for) another one, Murphy's Law will kick in and she'll get a place - if I leave it and wait until we get a yes or no, she won't! And then we'll be ringing round all over the place trying to find a different one that isn't already full... It wouldn't be so bad if all their dates didn't clash with one another... Grrr!!!

• Like 1

We haven't applied for any others yet, I'm doing a bit of fact-finding at the moment. I don't know what to do really, I'm just imagining whichever way round we do it, it will be wrong... If I assume she doesn't get in the Royal, and decide to book (and pay for) another one, Murphy's Law will kick in and she'll get a place - if I leave it and wait until we get a yes or no, she won't! And then we'll be ringing round all over the place trying to find a different one that isn't already full... It wouldn't be so bad if all their dates didn't clash with one another... Grrr!!!

yes, it really would be a good idea if all the ballet schools had the same application and acceptance dates to make life a bit easier for all the families. It actually wouldn't be that hard to co-ordinate :)

My dd has applied for rbs summer school and also enbs although not residential. Can i ask as i couldn't see a date for when you hear from rbs when

do you get a letter to say if they are in or not?

you may be no further ahead when you get your letter- you may get yes , no ... or waiting list.The first time my DD went to RBS  WL summer school she got on the waiting list and only found out the Tuesday before summer school started that she had a place.

A couple of years back we applied for RBS and Yorkshire (for which you have to pay a hefty deposit) among others. Then when DS got a place at RBS we immediately called Yorkshire and they were kind enough to refund our deposit (they hadn't even cashed the cheque so just sent it back). So that's probably worth knowing if you were considering them as one of your options....

• Like 1

Wish I had known that 2 years ago. DD was on RBS swl and we booked YBSS. 2 months before RBS rang and offered a place that I turned down because we had already paid for YBSS. After putting the phone down I kicked myself and rang RBS back BUT THE PLACE HAD ALREADY BEEN OFFERED TO SOMEONE ELSE!

Guest Autumn days

This is why we don't apply for Royal - in between my disability and my husband's shifts, we simply CAN'T do things at the last minute! :-)

Could you not apply anyway, Spannernadpony, on the basis that treat a waiting list place the same as a No? You never know, you may get a straight yes!!

• Like 2

I can recommend ENBS Summer course, dd has done it twice now and absolutely loved it. She's made some lovely friends through it, from as far afield as Japan and Brazil. (There were a lot of Spanish and Japanese, not sure why). DD very interested in finding out how other countries do things, (she found out last Summer that us Brits are a lot kinder to our knees-that is, don't force turnout!) so she always came back full of talk, not just about ballet but all the other interesting "stuff'. I know it's not RBS but at least there was no last minute change of plan. 

I don't know whether this is helpful but...(pasted form ENBS site)

"We will be accepting applications for Summer Course from 1st January 2013. Applications for Course A must be submitted by 1st March, and applications for Course B must be submitted by 1st April.  Our summer course is regularly oversubscribed, so please ensure that your application is submitted before the deadline. You will be notified if you have been selected to attend the course after the closing date. Application forms are available from info@enbschool.org.uk."

No application fee, just photos. 
  • Like 2

Hi Spanner and Pony, just to let you know, if u are offered waiting list you have to return a form stating whether you wish to remain on the waiting list up to the last minute or whether you will be making alternative arrangements and will therefore come off the waiting list. People are offered places at the last minute due to children pulling out due to injuries for example and they will always offer these places to others. Last year my youngest got offered a place very soon after being placed on the waiting list and we were told it was because she had made finals that year. My oldest (who had made yr9 finals) was offered a second week at the last minute even though we had originally applied for one week.

• Like 1

Hi Spanner and Pony, just to let you know, if u are offered waiting list you have to return a form stating whether you wish to remain on the waiting list up to the last minute or whether you will be making alternative arrangements and will therefore come off the waiting list. People are offered places at the last minute due to children pulling out due to injuries for example and they will always offer these places to others. Last year my youngest got offered a place very soon after being placed on the waiting list and we were told it was because she had made finals that year. My oldest (who had made yr9 finals) was offered a second week at the last minute even though we had originally applied for one week.

When my DD age 10 first went to RBS WL Summer school from the last minute waiting list it was due to a number of children ( mainly London JAs) being chosen to dance with the Bolshoi Ballet at the Royal Opera House - so it's not always due to others misfortune -it's sometimes due to alternative exciting opportunities. :)

• Like 3