Press Release: Carlos Acosta's BRB2 begins new UK Tour with global emerging ballet talent

JVREn6xpBx2ibIFjsVLKudDzdBukq4refJGEtnsBwvMRGr2rh_PUsHZQRhqtXSN6KHLxgGAlRLbvvq25-teGm4B9_cTkpE3ws_TibU62bsyDBKpIOvdM0bkE0PjzKZlHdp_rS0jENOGO-tkMd3k1Jw

AZMsgMajcBFHXrfFEAIzLBnnP4TjAhHk64-Y14npANVgr5c3VCWlszhyQKR8pAvHy55AC-yoqBDfcyV5GjEfbzupwIxAXt5clghTXtkIm1LkH4t2I8NcY9KF2aPFDqWYFAKfR8pB6ZsNz7s2UY0D-A

PRESS RELEASE
17 April 2024

CARLOS ACOSTA’S BRB2 BEGINS SECOND UK TOUR WITH A NEW GLOBAL COHORT OF FIRST-CLASS 
EMERGING BALLET DANCERS

ALL 2023 BRB2 MEMBERS TO JOIN BRB COMPANY AS ARTISTS

qnj3pk079nyjb8xnwuwhxt84aew0

In Spring 2023, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s (BRB) Director, the world-renowned Carlos Acosta, launched BRB2 - a new initiative through which BRB pro-actively seeks out some of the best young ballet graduates from across the globe.

Announced today, after 12 months with BRB2, all five original members of the 2023 cohort will join the Birmingham Royal Ballet Company as Artists at the end of the current season. They are: Jack Easton, Frieda Kaden, Maïlène Katoch, Mason King and Oscar Kempsey Fagg.

Now, after a hugely successful inaugural tour in 2023, BRB2 hits the road again with further performances of Carlos Acosta’s Classical Selection, a mixed programme of balletic highlights chosen by Acosta himself, visiting some venues for the first time. Opening in Cheltenham, the tour then visits Poole, Northampton, Canterbury and Peterborough. BRB2’s visit to Canterbury will mark the first time Birmingham Royal Ballet has performed in the city.

BRB2 features some of the brightest young stars in the ballet world, hailing from the UK, USA, Ukraine, France, Germany, New Zealand and Australia, and offers a unique opportunity for audiences to be the first to see ballet’s elite rising stars on stage.

In this second year the original cohort, who are all joining the main Company as Artists from this Autumn, are joined by five new members of the company selected by Carlos Acosta and Assistant Director Dominic Antonucci. They are: Ariana Allen (UK / Royal Ballet School), Alisa Garkavenko (Ukraine / Princess Grace Academy), Thomas Hazelby (UK / Royal Ballet School), Alexandra Manuel (USA / Royal Ballet School) and Alfie Shacklock (UK/Australia / Royal Ballet School).

Alisa Garkavenko trained at Kyiv State Ballet School and Vaganova Ballet Academy in Ukraine. When Russia declared war on Ukraine, Alisa was offered refuge at Monaco’s Princess Grace Academy before joining BRB2. Alisa said: “I think it is really important to have junior companies like BRB2 because this kind of company, they are giving the opportunity to young dancers to show their talent. It’s an incredible experience.”

BRB2 is a magnet for the best UK and international talent, providing extensive training and professional experience, sending developed, professional dancers back into the dance sector and providing role models for the next generation. The two-year performance programme provides vital employment for the next generation of exceptional ballet dancers (aged 18-22) to transition from training into jobs at BRB or other leading ballet companies, impacting the dance sector worldwide.

BRB2 dancers have danced alongside the main Company, with many from last year’s cohort performing pivotal roles in the current repertoire, including the world premiere of Black Sabbath - The Ballet, The Nutcracker and the current UK tour of The Sleeping Beauty.

The music for End of Time and Dying Swans will be performed live by Jeanette Wong (Head of Piano) and Antonio Novais (Principal Cellist). Jeanette will also perform two solo piano pieces by Ravel to accompany a brand-new duet, titled Mirrored, choreographed especially for BRB2 this year by Will Tuckett.

Carlos Acosta said: “Everyone was so delighted with how the inaugural year of BRB2 went. It's been a great year, watching the inaugural group of dancers grow and develop, and to welcome the second intake join and quickly establish themselves as vital members of the Company. Many BRB2 artists are already taking important roles in the current The Sleeping Beauty tour (over 41 shows this Spring) and I cannot be more thrilled that all of the initial intake will be joining the Company full-time at the end of this season. It's not just about talent spotting though! My Classical Selection is a brilliant evening of ballet whether you are an established fan or looking for a way to discover what ballet is all about.”

BRB’s First Soloist, Kit Holder, will again lead BRB2 as Artistic Coordinator, he said: “Last year’s inaugural BRB2 tour was a huge success and set the bar very high both technically and artistically. It’s been wonderful to support the development of these young dancers who are already becoming seasoned professionals and I’m really pleased that our initial cohort will all be staying on to continue their careers as full members of Birmingham Royal Ballet. I am excited to watch their careers continue to develop and I’m proud to have helped propel them on to continuing success.  I’m also excited by the new dancers who have joined us this season to begin their professional careers and I look forward to showcasing the talents of all of these young artists with audiences across the country in the spring.”

The programme for the 2024 UK tour includes the world premiere of Mirrored, a wholly new duet created by William Tuckett for BRB2. Further pas de deux include Frederick Ashton’s Rhapsody - premiered at The Royal Ballet in 1980 by Mikhail Baryshnikov and Lesley Collier; August Bournonville’s most famous ballet La Sylphide; the love duet from Swan Lake - probably the most famous pas de deux in ballet; Carlos Acosta’s take on Fokine’s The Dying Swan which features two dancers instead of one (hence The Dying Swans plural) and is double the usual length; Marius Petipa’s Diana and Actaeon pas de deux; Ben Stevenson’s End of Time set to Rachmaninov's gloriously melancholic Sonata in G Minor (3rd movement).

In the second half Gustavo Mollajoli’s A Buenos Aires celebrates the spirit of tango to music by Astor Piazzolla; the iconic Edith Piaf’s Je ne regrette rien choreographed by Ben Van Cauwenbergh, whose Jacques Brel-inspired humorous gala piece Les Bourgeois will also feature. Acosta’s choreography for the Carmen pas de deux promises to raise the temperature with Bizet’s heat-seeking score. Will Tuckett’s new duet Mirrored will captivate audiences before Jorges Garcia’s Majisimo closes out the programme, performed to Massenet’s music from Le Cid.

See listings information for full tour details.

Listings information

Everyman Theatre Cheltenham

Fri 10 May 7.30pm; Sat 11 May 2pm & 7.30pm

The Lighthouse Poole

Sat 18 May 2.30pm & 7.45pm

Northampton Royal and Derngate

Sat 25 May 2.30pm & 7.30pm

Marlowe Theatre Canterbury

Wed 29 May 2.30pm & 7.30pm

New Theatre Peterborough

Sat 1 June 2.30pm & 7pm

Programme (subject to change)

Rhapsody – pas de deux

Choreography: Frederick Ashton

Music: Sergei Rachmaninov, Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini

La Sylphide – Act II pas de deux

Choreography: August Bournonville

Music: Herman Lovenskiold

Swan Lake – Act II pas de deux

Choreography, Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, Sir Peter Wright

Music: Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky

The Dying Swans

Choreography: Carlos Acosta (after Michel Fokine and Michel Descombes)

Music: Camille Saint-Saens

Diana and Actaeon – pas de deux

Choreography: Marius Petipa, Agrippina Vaganova

Music: Cesare Pugni

End of Time – pas de deux

Choreography: Ben Stevenson

Music: Sergei Rachmaninov, Cello Sonata in G Minor (3rd movement)

Interval

A Buenos Aires

Choreography: Gustavo Mollajoli

Music: Astor Piazzolla, Primavera Portena

Je ne regrette rien

Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh

Music: Edith Piaf's Je ne regrette rien (Dumont/Vaucaire)

Les Bourgeois

Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh

Music: Jacques Brel’s Les Bourgeois

Carmen

Choreography: Carlos Acosta

Music: George Bizet – Shchedrin

Mirrored

Choreography: Will Tuckett

Music: Maurice Ravel

Majisimo

Choreography: Georges Garcia

Music: Jules Massenet (from Le Cid)

Notes to Editors

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs around 100 shows a year nationally and internationally.

• Like 1

Can’t help but wonder how come BRB2 has recruited from RBS but no dancer from Elmhurst - BRB’s local ‘partnered with’ school. Is Elmhurst just not ‘making the grade’? I don’t intend to be contentious - just think it’s a shame if Elmhurst dancers in training tend to only get work experience (unpaid) opportunities with BRB….

It’s as if the shared ‘Royal’ title aligns RBS more with BRB…. Blue Blood means more than sharing a neighbourhood? 

• Like 1

Peanuts:  The shared neighbourhood only began some 20 years back, whereas BRB shares a history with what's now the Royal Ballet starting with the Sadler's Wells Theatre Ballet post-WW2 and on via the RB Touring Company.  But you do make a point as regards the present day. 

• Thanks 1

It was something that crossed my mind also when I read the press release.   Has the 'partnership' with Elmhurst come to an end with no notice? Students from there danced in the recent concert with the orchestra. 

The RBS students are higher calibre and the RB cannot take them all.  The Aud Jebsen young dancers scheme at RB is 6 only I think, and there are up to 30 graduating dancers at RBS each year.  Some go abroad of course.

It shouldn’t be surprising that many of the graduating group go to BRB and ENB.  

13 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Peanuts:  The shared neighbourhood only began some 20 years back, whereas BRB shares a history with what's now the Royal Ballet starting with the Sadler's Wells Theatre Ballet post-WW2 and on via the RB Touring Company.  But you do make a point as regards the present day. 

I just think they clearly defined BRB as its own ‘Royal’ company as opposed to being RBS2…. So isn’t it time to have a second separately defined school - BRBS…?

13 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I just think they clearly defined BRB as its own ‘Royal’ company as opposed to being RBS2…. So isn’t it time to have a second separately defined school - BRBS…?

Although separately run The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and The Royal Ballet School all come under the same Governors of the Royal Ballet Companies. Carlos Acosta, like David Bintley before him is a Governor of the Royal Ballet School. 

• Thanks 1

How frequently does Carlos Acosta visit Elmhurst? David Bintley was a very frequent visitor to the school - working with students, adjudicating internal competitions etc. This, I’m sure was, at least in part, due to his strong relationship with Robert Parker. I’d be genuinely interested to know if this is continuing under Carlos’s tenure. He is vice president of the school after all. (He is both a governor and on the Advisory Council at the RBS.) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RMM1 said:

Although separately run The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and The Royal Ballet School all come under the same Governors of the Royal Ballet Companies. Carlos Acosta, like David Bintley before him is a Governor of the Royal Ballet School. 

And therein then lies the issue…. BRB needs to break free & deserves its own independent governance, it’s own independent funding stream & board of governors & should not be considered the ‘little sibling’ & thus perhaps living with a second thought, hand me down culture. Bet decisions are made & money committed to RB before they get round to BRB….

Carlos himself should push for this! If anyone can get the conversation into traction surely he can?

Personally, I’d like to see RB & BRB as competitors! That would give RB the shake up it needs!! To question better the programming/pricing/touring etc etc! I feel RB just sees itself as untouchable & far too safe on its throne…

We also see far too little of overseas companies over here to also open up an element of competing for our custom & making RB more visibly earn it’s reputation as one of the worlds finest ballet companies (which it undoubtedly is I’m sure)  Wonder why ROH does not become available to them often enough 🤔 ?

39 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

And therein then lies the issue…. BRB needs to break free & deserves its own independent governance, it’s own independent funding stream & board of governors & should not be considered the ‘little sibling’ & thus perhaps living with a second thought, hand me down culture. Bet decisions are made & money committed to RB before they get round to BRB….

Carlos himself should push for this! If anyone can get the conversation into traction surely he can?

Personally, I’d like to see RB & BRB as competitors! That would give RB the shake up it needs!! To question better the programming/pricing/touring etc etc! I feel RB just sees itself as untouchable & far too safe on its throne…

We also see far too little of overseas companies over here to also open up an element of competing for our custom & making RB more visibly earn it’s reputation as one of the worlds finest ballet companies (which it undoubtedly is I’m sure)  Wonder why ROH does not become available to them often enough 🤔 ?

Birmingham Royal Ballet does have its own separate funding from ACE and has done for many years.

I don't know how often Carlos Acosta visits Elmhurst but I know that he does.  He seems passionate about the education of children in dance.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I don't know how often Carlos Acosta visits Elmhurst but I know that he does.  He seems passionate about the education of children in dance.

I don’t doubt that he is but is he as passionate about the Elmhurst students as his predecessor was (and the wonderful Marion Tate) or is that ‘special relationship’ a thing of the past? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Out-the-other-side said:

I don’t doubt that he is but is he as passionate about the Elmhurst students as his predecessor was (and the wonderful Marion Tate) or is that ‘special relationship’ a thing of the past? 

I've no idea but you could write and ask him.

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've no idea but you could write and ask him.

Hmm it’s always difficult to detect ‘tone’ in a written message but I very much doubt you are seriously suggesting that it would be credible for a member of the general public (albeit with an historic link to Elmhurst) to ask the question ‘Are you as committed to the students of your associate school as your predecessor?’ 
As Elmhurst continue to sell themselves as ‘in association with Birmingham Royal Ballet’, I think it’s fair enough to muse on whether this relationship has changed. That was why I asked the genuine question of how much actual, day to day involvement he has with the school as we have personal experience of what that looked like under David Bintley. Maybe a current Elmhurst parent can answer that. 

4 minutes ago, Out-the-other-side said:

Hmm it’s always difficult to detect ‘tone’ in a written message but I very much doubt you are seriously suggesting that it would be credible for a member of the general public (albeit with an historic link to Elmhurst) to ask the question ‘Are you as committed to the students of your associate school as your predecessor?’ 
As Elmhurst continue to sell themselves as ‘in association with Birmingham Royal Ballet’, I think it’s fair enough to muse on whether this relationship has changed. That was why I asked the genuine question of how much actual, day to day involvement he has with the school as we have personal experience of what that looked like under David Bintley. Maybe a current Elmhurst parent can answer that. 

It was a genuine suggestion.

Musing is all very well but it doesn't provide an answer that only Carlos Acosta can give about his level of commitment.

8 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

It was a genuine suggestion.

Musing is all very well but it doesn't provide an answer that only Carlos Acosta can give about his level of commitment.

Thank you for clarifying. Even if I had the incentive to email ( I don’t - DD is as my name suggests, out the other side) I’m sure the any response would be he is giving as much of his time to Elmhurst as his schedule allows. And this may well be equal to, if not greater than, Mr Bintley. Or maybe they were the golden years but we just didn’t know it??? I do know, however, that the association with BRB is a big selling point for the school and so transparency about what this actually looks like on the ground should be a given. 

• Like 2

On 20/04/2024 at 14:44, Out-the-other-side said:

Being a parent of one of last year's Elmhurst grads, Mr Acosta only appeared at the school when royalty was scheduled to visit and her grad year were given zero opportunities to dance with the company, unlike previous years.  As parents we were all astounded by this and the school didn't seem willing or able to shed any light on why this was.  Mr Acosta has been a VP of Elmhurst for quite some years but you really wouldn't know it.  And it would be useful to remember that some of the RBS upper school students completed LS training at Elmhurst, Oscar Kempsey-Fagg being one such.  I won't say any more as could get me into trouble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, dancefanatic said:

Being a parent of one of last year's Elmhurst grads, Mr Acosta only appeared at the school when royalty was scheduled to visit and her grad year were given zero opportunities to dance with the company, unlike previous years.  As parents we were all astounded by this and the school didn't seem willing or able to shed any light on why this was.  Mr Acosta has been a VP of Elmhurst for quite some years but you really wouldn't know it.  And it would be useful to remember that some of the RBS upper school students completed LS training at Elmhurst, Oscar Kempsey-Fagg being one such.  I won't say any more as could get me into trouble.

It's disappointing but not surprising. Some people might wonder if he spreads himself too thinly.... director of two, arguably three, companies, and of his academy in Cuba, persisting still in a performing career, often outside of his own companies, developing interesting projects and academy in Woolwich... I've probably missed a few things out! His celebrity status and charisma benefit fund-raising but sometimes the kudos attaches to him personally and doesn't spread to his organisations - I was disappointed that last week's Observer spread on the arts in Birmingham referred to him (and inevitably had a photo of him) but didn't discuss BRB.

He avows his commitment to BRB but a cynic might wonder if he views that company as a stepping stone to an even more celebrated company. Watching part of the Sky Arts documentary on ENB in Paris yesterday it was touching to hear Rojo assert her commitment to ENB as her family... and look where she is now! Who knows if Acosta could be on the same trajectory?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Well, I'd hazard a guess that Acosta surely is Heir Apparent to a certain Mr O'Hare.....maybe once he finally hangs up his own dancing shoes?

I have to say that at the moment I hope your guess is wrong (though I acknowledge that it's very plausible)... in spite of Acosta's undoubted personal charisma.

Edited by bridiem
clause added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I have to say that at the moment I hope your guess is wrong (though I acknowledge that it's very plausible)... in spite of Acosta's undoubted personal charisma.

I’d be surprised interested to know if this is based on you being happy with current leadership at RB & wishing many more years of this? Or do you have a preferred future candidate? Be interesting to know who people have in their future planning wish list! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peanut68 said:

I’d be surprised interested to know if this is based on you being happy with current leadership at RB & wishing many more years of this? Or do you have a preferred future candidate? Be interesting to know who people have in their future planning wish list! 

Well I'm not aware that KOH has any plans to retire yet, so for various reasons I think it's best not to think about his successor yet. And not for this thread anyway. It was just a slightly knee-jerk reaction to your suggestion! I will now seal my lips :)

• Like 1

I'm very much looking forward to seeing BRB2 in Cheltenham with my best friend in a few weeks.

I had to miss my scheduled performances last year so I'm interested to see how it matches up to my expectations.

• Like 1