Public class of "dance schools of the 21st century" - Paris, 14 April

Did anyone else see this today?  It was an open-to-the-public (free of charge) class of students from the POB ballet school, RBS, Canada's National Ballet School, San Francisco Ballet School, Royal Danish Ballet School, Hamburg Ballett Schule, La Scala and Dutch National Ballet Academy, on the stage of the Palais Garnier. The class was given by Elisabeth Platel, with José Martinez also doing an introduction.

I really enjoyed it but would love to hear from people who know more than me! The students were all mixed up, so it wasn't possible to tell who came from where (with the exception of the POB school boys who were wearing their uniform). There were some lovely dancers, and they managed to deal with the rake at Garnier very well - Elisabeth Platel mentioned at the beginning that this was the first time on the stage for most of them.

After having read several comments on the forum about the artistic directors of some schools, it was nice to see how close Elisabeth Platel seemed to be to the POB students - calling them by their names, joking etc...she also clearly knew who to speak to in English and who in French. She certainly seems like a very 'present' director! I also appreciated how she weaved in exercises passed down from previous directors.

All in all, a great initiative and I hope POB continues to organize this sort of event.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My DD was one of the students, but I couldn’t attend as I live in America (and will be traveling to Europe to see her in her graduation performances in July). The invited schools are performing at Palais Garnier on the 17th of April. I so wish they were live-streaming. The show was sold out within a minute of ticket sales starting, so even if I could afford two European trips within a few months I would not have been about to go.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Birdy said:

The show was sold out within a minute of ticket sales starting

I’m always surprised with events that present/showcase students that parents dont automatically receive a pair of tickets or at least ‘first refusal’ to buy some ahead of the general public. 
Were it a ‘grown up’ evening sponsored by ‘X,Y & Z S.A.or Ltd’ I’m sure these sponsors would have received an allocation. In this instance I’d suggest parents are the equivalent of the sponsor.

• Like 1

That’s amazing that your daughter is one of the dancers, Birdy! You must be so proud! Hopefully one of the organizers will read this and film it so that it can be distributed afterwards at the very least.

For future information, in case the opportunity presents itself again, it’s always worth putting your details down on the waiting list for the performances at Garnier (and Bastille). They release more tickets in the weeks preceding the performance and it is pretty much always possible to get a ticket in this way (I had emails saying that places for the Schools Gala/performance were available last Wednesday and Friday). Another option is via the Bourse des Billets, where subscribers in particular (who have access to early booking) return their tickets. 

Not the most reassuring if you also have to buy plane tickets in advance, however!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that parents should have been offered tickets. Each school only brought 3-5 dancers so it wouldn’t have been that many seats. My time zone is 9 hours behind Paris so emails regarding available tickets usually came to my inbox during the night and would already be sold before I was able to get them. I had resigned myself to not going as she will be performing the same thing in Amsterdam in July. Still, such an incredibly rare opportunity to dance at the Palais Garnier. She will be dancing with Dutch National Ballet Junior Company in the fall, so things are going well for her right now. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Birdy said:

Still, such an incredibly rare opportunity to dance at the Palais Garnier. She will be dancing with Dutch National Ballet Junior Company in the fall, so things are going well for her right now. 

How lovely! And this public class is a nice way to give talented students exposure and stage experience as well as those 'networking' opportunities.  Hope all goes well at Dutch National. Do let us all know. 

• Like 1

Oh that’s good news for her to get a place with the Dutch National Ballet Junior Company she must be very good!! Wishing her lots of success there. 

• Like 1

I think I came across this….& (wrongly it seems) had assumed it was yet another ‘hey dance parents, pay yet more money to travel & stay away & probably a fee to attend too to get the chance to do a class where you might be seen by Directors or people who could possibly offer you a job’ competition masterclass thing. Lovely to hear this was not necessarily so. So, was it POB or an individual approaching specific schools with an invite for then to send  x number of students?

That sounds - for once - a good ballet initiative!  

Edited by Peanut68

What would make sense from this would be reciprocal events from the other schools… though starts to be expensive I guess - especially if schools tend to select the same few students to fly off…though maybe that could be a criteria….they can only select each student once so maybe more/all of a cohort gets an opportunity! 

Edited by Peanut68

'Dance School Gala' 17th April  https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-23-24/ballet/gala-des-ecole-de-danse

Synopsis

For the space of one evening, the “Gala des Écoles de danse du XXIe siècle” will allow students from several international institutions to perform on the Palais Garnier stage.

On this occasion, the Paris Opera Ballet School is inviting: The Canada’s National Ballet School / L’École nationale de ballet du Canada (Toronto), The Dutch National Ballet Academy (Amsterdam), La Fondazione Accademia Teatro alla Scala (Milan), The School of the Hamburg Ballet John Neumeier (Hamburg), The San Francisco Ballet School, The Royal Ballet School (London), The Royal Danish Ballet School (Copenhagen).   

• Thanks 1

Yes, the Paris Opera Ballet School invited specific schools to participate. The schools then chose the students from their graduating class and what they would present. I’m sure there was a guideline regarding the number of students and length of the work. Each school is performing their own separate piece. POBS is hosting the students. It’s a wonderful idea and amazing opportunity. Maybe it will become a yearly thing with POB with different schools invited other years. 

• Like 5

I gather this is all part of the 'Cultural Olympiad' 2024 

https://parisjetaime.com/eng/article/cultural-olympiad-paris-a871?dpl5p=5

https://parisjetaime.com/eng/event/public-classes-schools-of-dance-opera-garnier-cultural-olympiad-e498

"Pierre de Coubertin, known as the father of the modern Olympic Games, believed that the combination of ‘muscle and mind’ (sport and art) was one of the core values of the Games. Although sculpture, architecture, literature, music, and painting were considered Olympic disciplines from 1912 to 1949, the arts gradually disappeared from the competitions. Nevertheless, these artistic disciplines are well represented during the games in the Cultural Olympiad – and a key part of the charter of the Games – organized alongside this major world sporting event.

For three seasons, Paris will be programming cultural, artistic, sporting and heritage events to showcase the cultural richness of France and create exciting experiences and memories for as many people as possible."

Excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stucha said:

There is a video of this on YouTube at the moment. It's not official, so I cannot give the link.

I won't link either, I think it is at  (search) Opéra de Paris, Cours public des Écoles de danse du XXIe siècle, 2024

YouTube channel of ParisAndAllThatJazz

Also 

Opéra de Paris, Spectacle de l'École de Danse, 2024

"The Paris Opera Ballet School, directed by Élisabeth Platel, presents its annual production. To mark the hundredth anniversary of the birth of Roland Petit, himself a pupil of the school, the young dancers are reviving his first ballet, Les Forains, which portrays a troupe of acrobats performing to a lively score by Henri Sauguet. In Un ballo, Jirí Kylián invites us to a ball where several couples are drawn together by the elegant music of Maurice Ravel. Lastly, Serge Lifar’s Suite en blanc brings his virtuoso grand neoclassical style to the stage. The Demonstrations offer the public the opprtunity to discover the many different interpretations of classical technique taught at the School."

Edited by Roberta

Posted (edited)

The search terms Roberts gave would be right for what took place at Garnier on Sunday. The description for that is:

Public class with students from dance schools of the 21st century

For the first time in public, the Paris Opera Ballet School invites students from 21st-century Dance Schools to share warm-ups and training on the legendary stage of the Palais Garnier.

With the participation of:

• Canada’s National Ballet School – Toronto
  • San Francisco Ballet School – San Francisco
  • The Royal Ballet School – London
  • The Royal Danish Ballet School – Copenhaguen
  • Hamburg Ballett Schule John Neumeier – Hamburg
  • Scuola di Ballo Academia Teatro alla Scala – Milan
  • The Dutch National Ballet Academy – Amsterdam

(Tickets to watch this class were totally free of charge to the public/open to anyone and everyone).

The second link that Roberta mentions ("spectacle de l'école de danse") is the POB school-only performances that are also taking place this week (in addition to the "Dance School Gala taking place with the other schools) - definitely rather complicated!

Edited by Garnier
  • Like 1

I saw the performance tonight of the Paris Opera Ballet School. The programme included two of my favourite French ballets, Roland Petit’s Les Forains and  Serge Lifar’s Suite en Blanc. Although it was Petit’s first ballet it already demonstrates his innate theatricality yet ultimately is very sad, as the circus artists, in the title, get no financial reward from their committed performances. Despite a few obvious mistakes it was well performed and quite moving. The middle ballet was by Kylian, Un Ballo, and was to two of Ravel’s best known compositions and was more contemporary. As I expected, the impressive opening tableau of Suite en Blanc gained huge applause and the applause continued throughout the performance, deservedly as most of the student dancers pulled off the tricky choreography. It’s a great tribute to classical ballet and I wish ENB would dance it again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garnier said:

The second link that Roberta mentions ("spectacle de l'école de danse") is the POB school-only performances that are also taking place this week (in addition to the "Dance School Gala taking place with the other schools) - definitely rather complicated!

Three separate events!  The class with all the different ballet school students was most enjoyable to watch. Lovely music also. 

This is tomorrow so nothing on YouTube as yet. 

'Dance School Gala' 17th April  https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-23-24/ballet/gala-des-ecole-de-danse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I saw the performance tonight of the Paris Opera Ballet School. The programme included two of my favourite French ballets, Roland Petit’s Les Forains and  Serge Lifar’s Suite en Blanc. Although it was Petit’s first ballet it already demonstrates his innate theatricality yet ultimately is very sad, as the circus artists, in the title, get no financial reward from their committed performances. Despite a few obvious mistakes it was well performed and quite moving. The middle ballet was by Kylian, Un Ballo, and was to two of Ravel’s best known compositions and was more contemporary. As I expected, the impressive opening tableau of Suite en Blanc gained huge applause and the applause continued throughout the performance, deservedly as most of the student dancers pulled off the tricky choreography. It’s a great tribute to classical ballet and I wish ENB would dance it again.

The curtain calls for the three ballets are here from 14th April performance.  I think it will be OK to link?

Gorgeous building, worth watching for the opening shots! 

Edited by Roberta

3 hours ago, Roberta said:

The curtain calls for the three ballets are here from 14th April performance.  I think it will be OK to link?

Gorgeous building, worth watching for the opening shots! 

Thanks, Roberta, for the glances of the building. The facade has been in the process of being cleaned for over a year and is intended to be uncovered in time for the Olympics.

The ceiling of the seating area is covered by a magnificent work by Marc Chagall, that’s not shown. During intermissions one evening last summer, I sat there marveling at it and taking pictures. I consider it to be, perhaps, the most beautiful building in France.

41 minutes ago, Buddy said:

The ceiling of the seating area is covered by a magnificent work by Marc Chagall, that’s not shown. During intermissions one evening last summer, I sat there marveling at it and taking pictures. I consider it to be, perhaps, the most beautiful building in France.

Yes the Chagall ceiling is rather wonderful also.

https://www.pariscityvision.com/en/paris/landmarks/opera-garnier/chagall-ceiling

The students who participated in the stage class and will be dancing in the gala performance are very fortunate indeed!  

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1

Thank you so much Roberta for the information you gave to enable us watch the  international students' class given by Élisabeth Platel. I adore her classes and always wish I had the youth and technique to do them!! I was just a bit disappointed that she didn't move the students around at the barre as they do at the Prix de Lausanne so that we saw different ones at the front. 

Have you watched it Birdy to see your DD? If so you must tell us what she was wearing so we can pick her out. I am definitely going to watch it again.

• Like 1

My DD was at the back so nearly impossible to see most of the time. During combinations she was often off to the side.  She is a tall girl with light brown hair, wearing a 3/4 sleeve royal blue leotard with kind of a circular cut out in the back. She has an annoying tendency to avoid being seen when it suits her.

13 hours ago, Birdy said:

My DD was at the back so nearly impossible to see most of the time. During combinations she was often off to the side.  She is a tall girl with light brown hair, wearing a 3/4 sleeve royal blue leotard with kind of a circular cut out in the back. She has an annoying tendency to avoid being seen when it suits her.

I hope you can spot her here!  Not last night's performances (which I'm assuming were not allowed to be shown for rights reasons possibly) but the curtain calls and all students on stage at the last part.

How glorious for them!  Their own Grand Défilé. 

Opéra de Paris, Gala des Écoles de danse, 2024 

The RBS students seem to have been the sensation of the gala night …  performing excerpts and variants of Rhapsody. You can find clips on their instagram stories, and on others.  (Look at Guillaume Giraudon for instance)

Emile Gooding (male solo)

Rebecca Myles Stewart and Ravi Cannonier-Watson (duet couple) 

There was a fourth RBS student in the Grand Defile, taller girl with brown hair, Katie Robertson.   I haven’t yet found what she danced. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C55kkkvIcLV/?igsh=aXEzNmw5NTZ0aXRu

Edited by FionaM
Add link
  • Thanks 1

Ravi Cannonier-Watson, Emile Gooding et Rebecca Stewart were students of the Royal Ballet School. They danced excerpts from "Rhapsody" by Ashton. All three of them were brilliant. But Emilie was truly... Whaou !  He danced the grand variation that opens the ballet with such brilliance, he impressed the whole audience ("Emilie" was the only word you could hear during the intermission among the spectators). He was the revelation of this gala. But all the students did well, it was a very beautiful evening, rich in these various dance schools. A very beautiful program. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Amelie-DALP said:

, Emile Gooding

He appears to be doing very well at the RBS!

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2024/02/11/the-prix-de-lausanne-partner-school-choreographic-project-with-pre-professional-year-student-emile/

Arrived at the RBS via Tring and yes another former Billy Elliot, plenty of stage and comps etc experience, also elite level gymnast. 

https://billyelliotthemusical.com/cast/emile-gooding/

A glimpse of Rhapsody (not last night)

https://www.instagram.com/emilegooding/reel/C4y23ytI6bC/?hl=en

Ravi Cannonier-Watson has his own website

https://www.ravicannonierwatson.com/bio

https://www.royalgazette.com/arts-entertainment/lifestyle/article/20240201/ravi-heads-to-paris-opera/

Rebecca Myles Stewart is an inspiration!

Edited by Roberta

Katie Robertson is a lovely dancer and think she graduates from RBS this summer. 
Will look at videos when get home! 

Edited by LinMM

As far as I can gather five students went to Paris, or that was the intention, three danced in the gala.   It's not terribly clear at the moment, no doubt further details will emerge over the coming days. 

Katie Robertson in 2022 at the RBS  

Edited by Roberta