Acosta Danza and BRB dancers

In the recent article in the Times on Carmen, there was a detail that no one here seemed to have picked up on  .  "Acosta also plans to augment the Acosta Danza cast by bringing in a trio of dancers (Yaoqian Shang, Javier Rojas and Lachlan Monaghan) from BRB...to share the main roles"

The Acosta Danza Carmen performances at Sadler's Wells in July are very nearly sold out already, but thought some readers here might be interested. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• zxDaveM changed the title to Acosta Danza and BRB dancers

I noticed it in the article but as I was not keen on the extract from Carmen performed at Acosta's gala last summer even the promised presence of BRB dancers, including Monaghan who I like, doesn't make me want to rush to book for the full work.

I’ve just googled Acosta Danza Carmen and according to the Cuba 50 website:

Carlos Acosta now presents and features in his own adaptation of Georges Bizet and Prosper Mérimée’s story. In his new version, the story’s universal and timeless themes are laid bare in a sparse and powerful setting.” *

This suggests to me that Carlos will dance… can anyone confirm this? 

*ref: www.cuba50.org

The Times article referred to by Lynette above said that Acosta was planning to dance the role of the Bull. Not having seen the piece, and there not being any bulls in the opera, I have no idea if that's a substantial role or a cameo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

The Times article referred to by Lynette above said that Acosta was planning to dance the role of the Bull. Not having seen the piece, and there not being any bulls in the opera, I have no idea if that's a substantial role or a cameo.

Thanks for the info, Dawnstar. The Bull is like the figure of Fate or Destiny in other ballet versions, and only has a tiny amount of dancing - when I saw it, I thought "What a pity Matthew Golding and [second cast] Ryoichi Hirano get so little dancing and partnering in this version". It's mostly an acting role, but the dancer also spends the ballet with a large bull mask over his head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Thanks for the info, Dawnstar. The Bull is like the figure of Fate or Destiny in other ballet versions, and only has a tiny amount of dancing - when I saw it, I thought "What a pity Matthew Golding and [second cast] Ryoichi Hirano get so little dancing and partnering in this version". It's mostly an acting role, but the dancer also spends the ballet with a large bull mask over his head. 

It sounds like a good role fit for a mostly-retired 50 year old then!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lynette H said:

The Acosta Danza Carmen performances at Sadler's Wells in July are very nearly sold out already, but thought some readers here might be interested. 

I got my ticket a while ago. I've forgotten exactly what the excerpt in the Carlos gala was like. However, really looking forward to seeing it hopefully with some BRB dancers as well.