Tring Park Teachers Strike

Hi all, 

just wondering if people have seen these. 

‘With salaries that are already below other schools of similar calibre, the staff are being asked to take a 3.5% pay cut if they want to protect their pension scheme as it stands. This is unacceptable. The strain that this worrying situation will put on the mental health of staff is not only personally distressing, but publicly embarrassing for an institution that prides itself on pastoral care. 

Back in 2021, staff and supporters fought against the unethical “fire and rehire” proposal offered by the school. We are disgusted to hear that this so-called solution has still not been explicitly ruled out by the management. The school must clarify their stance on this. 

At the time of writing, the Instagram account @tringparkconcerns has 300 followers, and the growing outpouring of support is a testament to the loyalty & love we all hold for the teaching staff. Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor. As a group, we refuse to be silent. ’

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/article-listing/tring-park-school-teachers-strike-pension-sabotage.html

https://www.change.org/p/supporting-the-strike-at-tring-park-school-for-the-performing-arts?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_37930975_en-GB%3A9&recruiter=1091915792&recruited_by_id=77800960-9ad6-11ea-a357-277e7dc3865a&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_message&utm_term=take_next_step&share_bandit_exp=message-37930975-en-GB

Edited by Doing Dance 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 09:51, Jewel said:

Good on them.

There is another similar school where similar dubious practices have led to a huge percentage of staff leaving over the past few years.

Interesting.
Is the school one that can’t currently be discussed in the forum? 

On 23/03/2024 at 10:08, Doing Dance 1 said:

Interesting.
Is the school one that can’t currently be discussed in the forum? 

it's a school where certain matters relating to auditions and attendance can be discussed but not other opinions due to (now concluded but potential for future) court case.

The current level of employer contribution is 23.68% of teacher salary. The new % is more than a 20% increase to 26.68% of salary paid in by employer to pension.
In state schools the govt pays that figure into pensions. Independent isn't gov funded so the school has to meet that increase. 

Edited by Macy1

Wow - I had no idea that employer contributions to teachers' salaries were so high. I thought my private sector employer was generous offering up to 11%.

Having said that I'm not criticising the teachers for wanting to maintain their salaries. No-one wants to have their salary eroded, especially with the cost of living increases we've seen recently.

• Like 1

If you compare it to the nhs scheme the employer contributions are higher and personal contributions lower. I’m not really sure why it’s so high when the retirement age is 67/8 and average life expectancy is still lower 80s

5 minutes ago, Jewel said:

I can't speak for Tring but I know that at other similar places teacher salaries are already lower than in other schools/colleges.

Absolutely.  I noticed this too about most vocational schools, and this includes administrative staff. Quite the disparity from non-vocational schools and definitely different from universities (the latter normally have brilliant pension schemes from my experience, much better and even more generous than corporate).  I have noticed as much as a £10k difference in the starting salaries between similar administrative roles. 

I know someone who moved from teaching on the L6 diploma at one of these places to a university/conservatoire setting and the pay and conditions are so much better. (And the atmosphere is less toxic). 

• Like 1

I guess the governors of the private ballet schools are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only way to increase teachers' salaries and benefits would be to increase the fees they charge, which would not be what parents paying fees would want at all. And I suspect (but don't know) that their fees may be capped at what the government are prepared to pay for MDS awards.

I'm also surprised at the high employer pension contributions. 10% tends to be considered generous in the private sector. Again, I'm not saying that the teachers are wrong to be protesting their pay or benefits (which I know nothing about) but just surprised that they are such a high percentage of salary.

The other issue that is going to put huge pressure on teacher salaries is if Labour get in and add an extra 20% to private school fees by taking away the VAT exemption. Parents will be paying 20% more but it will go to government not the school/teachers. 

Posted (edited)

I understand that real term pay has been decreasing at Tring over the years. Their low, compared to similar schools, pay has not kept up with inflation so they’ve slowly been receiving a pay ‘cut’ and the teachers pension is the only financial reason some staff have remained. 

See attached post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4ndf5Fobpl/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by Doing Dance 1