Northern Ballet (Leeds) Junior Associates

Just found out my daughter has made it through to the final audition in 2 weeks and I wondered if anyone could give me any info about what to expect? Is the final audition usually harder than the first for example and do they do things like splits? My daughter is excited but nervous.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet (Leeds) Junior Associates

My daughter auditioned for JA last year. I feel like the second audition was more larger, around 50 dancers. But I don’t think it was significantly different to the first. Though, it was longer. I’d wondered if it was also testing their stamina, because the class itself is almost two hours long. I just asked my daughter and she said they were asked to get into box splits, not side slits. And do things like folding over in straddle. 

Good luck to everyone, my daughter has really enjoyed it this year, they have their assessments this evening actually, so we’ll find out if got a place for next year soon. 

My daughter’s abit worried about box splits, as she can’t go to the floor yet. Shes almost there but not quite and she’s worried this will affect her chances. @Diagon This audition is an hour and 15 like the first. 
Thank you for everyone’s replies! I guess all we can do is wait and see. 

On 11/03/2024 at 06:28, Dancing_Mae said:

My daughter’s abit worried about box splits, as she can’t go to the floor yet. Shes almost there but not quite and she’s worried this will affect her chances. @Diagon 

Tell her not to worry about splits as there are many other things they'll be looking for. My DD was an associate for 3 years and still couldn't get full box splits when she left. She left of her own accord, I should add, when she decided the classical route was not for her. The training was excellent. 

Posted (edited)

@BalletMummy123 Yeah I was suprised by how many there were! But then again it said on my letter not to worry about group size, as they place a lot at this age, so not sure what to think… My daughter has asked me two mornings in a row if we have had the email yet 

Edited by Dancing_Mae

• 3 weeks later...

Do keep trying @lucy14 and @Dancing_Mae, my DD got a no in her first year, followed by reserves for both associates and CAT the following year, then a reserve for associates the next year with a place coming offered from the reserve list. She’s now been offered her 4th year in associates with them (we didn’t continue with the CAT route after covid). 

• Like 2

Do encourage them to keep trying. My daughter has made the reserves list. If we don’t get offered a place I’ll certainly encourage her to try again next year. 
Does anyone know how many are in the reserves list and likelihood of a place coming up please? 

Yes, I second the open class option. My daughter did two years in open. Has just finished a year of JA, and has been offered a place on CAT level 2 and IFA. Open do a great end of year show too. 

49 minutes ago, Twinkletoesmama said:

Do encourage them to keep trying. My daughter has made the reserves list. If we don’t get offered a place I’ll certainly encourage her to try again next year. 
Does anyone know how many are in the reserves list and likelihood of a place coming up please? 

I’m not sure of the numbers on the lists but places definitely come up, DD was reserve for IFA a few years ago and got a place a few days after offers. Lots are offered both associates and CAT and can only take up one offer so places do come up in the next few weeks. Deadline for accepting offers is towards the end of May so I guess reserve offers will be made before and around then? 

• Thanks 1

Just to reiterate what others are saying, we auditioned last year and got nos across the board. We joined open classes (which by the way have been LOVED) and tried again - been offered a place on CAT and IFA. Reserve places will come up as the timetable clashes so people can't accept both. Highly recommend open classes as a good route though, game-changer!