Does attending RBS JA hurt chances of attending WL?

LivingForBallet

So I recently heard that attending RBS’s Junior Associate programme could harm a dancer’s chances of getting into the main school? That the school doesn’t take from the JA programme very often, that they’d know all the dancer’s weaknesses etc.. just looking to see if this is total rubbish or not? Anyone attended JA and then gained a space at WL? Thanks! 

In my DD’s year at WL there were at least 4 girls from JAs and one from MA ( never a JA). There may have been more but that’s all I know about.

I think there’s a little truth in that, for the Summer Intensives they like to see new international talent - students they haven’t seen before.

• Thanks 1

The only young dancers I know if who started at RBS White Lodge at year 7 had all been JA’s first. There was a thing whereby parents felt that being a JA in London was ‘better’ than a regional centre & upped their chances to get into WL but I think that was rubbish (though it did perhaps mean more likely to be able to be selected for Nutcracker at ROH if opportunities extended to JA age dancers or to perform at Summer Fair at White Lodge). 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ruby Foo said:

In my DD’s year at WL there were at least 4 girls from JAs and one from MA ( never a JA). There may have been more but that’s all I know about.

I think there’s a little truth in that, for the Summer Intensives they like to see new international talent - students they haven’t seen before.

This is what I was told. That the school wanted to see dancers they hadn’t seen before. It has me a little confused. Thank you so much for your input! 

I don’t know if things have changed but my friend’s DC was a JA and they were all prepared for the audition in year 6 and had the teacher they were used to taking the class. Only a couple of non JAs were there and I would have thought that would put them at a disadvantage. This was outside London.

When it comes to summer intensives that is different, it’s much more international altogether. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the final year at JA, they do prepare students for the WL audition. Although I'm unsure if being a JA enhances your chances, I doubt it poses a hindrance. Numerous JAs successfully gained a place at WL last year, at least 8 of the current year 7s.

• Thanks 1

Posed a hinderance for my son - but he is an exception.  He didn't get on with JA teacher who remarked, after the audition when he apparently stunned them all, that had she known when she wrote her report what he was capable of she would have made a different recommendation.  He was also identified as hyper mobile and whisked off to physio on arrival.

No doubt the flexibility (he wasn't hyper mobile) would have been picked up anyway but I honestly believe had he been seen fresh rather than as a known quantity a different opinion might  have been formed. 

Given the Jas presumably have the look RBS want, it's not surprising many of them are offered places.  But certainly DS had friends who weren't Jas who were offered places at WL.

Equally, not being at WL has not prevented my DS from gaining professional contracts.  

• Thanks 1

The majority of kids who started WL in Year 7 (over the last few years anyway) were JA's prior to that. Having said that, I don't think it makes any difference at all whether you have been a JA or not in terms of whether you will be selected for a full time place - they will select who they like on the day (although as others have said, the Y6 JAs are prepped for the audition and may know the teacher/be familiar with the studios etc so they may have an advantage in that respect).

I think the majority as JAs simply because the majority of 9/10 year old children in this country who are serious about ballet and thinking about a vocational school will naturally also be interested in an associate scheme and RBS associates is one of the best known/has the biggest reach geographically. 

• Thanks 1

My dd was at royal finals and recall a few years ago and never gained a ja place. She was a Elmhurst YD and Tring CBA associate. Had privates every 2 weeks on the run up to auditions. It is possible. She is now auditioning for upper schools but hoping to stay at Elmhurst.

• Thanks 1