Tchaikovsky Classics with Birmingham Royal Ballet at Symphony Hall

I saw this on BRB's website.  I think it's instead of their gala but it appears to limited to Tchaikovsky which I think is a bit limiting in terms of the repertoire.  Not sure if I can make it myself but wanted to share in case others were interested.  It's on Thursday 28 March which is annoying because I prefer weekend events as they're easier logistically.  

Tchaikovsky Classics with Birmingham Royal Ballet | Birmingham Royal Ballet (brb.org.uk)

• Like 1

The Company’s world-class dancers will perform some of the highlights from these great works including: from Swan Lake, the tender and romantic ‘white swan’ pas de deux from Act II and the breathtaking ‘black swan’ pas de deux from Act III, including the famous 32 fouettés; from The Sleeping Beauty, the exquisite Rose Adage from Act I; and from The Nutcracker, the beautiful grand pas de deux for the Prince and the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Alongside these, the Sinfonia, conducted by Principal Conductor Paul Murphy, will play some of Tchaikovsky’s orchestral music that inspired the greatest 20th-century choreographers such as George Balanchine (Theme and Variations).

The flashy bits then.

• Like 2

Actually, it's not a bad idea, is it? It could well draw in a fresh audience for ballet via 'popular' classical music (which isn't in any way denigrating Tchaikovsky). People go away humming the tunes and then consider a trip to the theatre to see a production? No names mentioned yet for dancers. It could give a few 'up and comings' a chance to dance these pieces, without the pressure of a full ballet.

Symphony Hall, Birmingham.  2,262 seat concert venue.  Hopefully makes a few quid for BRB also?

https://bmusic.co.uk/events/tchaikovsky-classics-with-birmingham-royal-ballet

• Like 2

I like the sound of the programme (would be happy with a mix of composers too)....won't know till next year if I can do the Thursday though, as I'll have to get the train up. Friday and Saturday definitely yes (provided no strikes). If half or more of their principals and first soloists are dancing the various Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker duets and solos, count me in.  😀 

Edited by Emeralds

Interesting re: Theme and Variations which ENB have just performed at Sadler's Wells. Carlos had scheduled it for June 2020 for BRB to revive their production before Covid caused it to be cancelled. It was on a bill with Alessandra Ferri and Carlos dancing a new pas de deux by Goyo Montero. The pas de deux, Chacona, was rescheduled after lockdown was lifted but not T&V. Wonder if it will be scheduled for 2024-5? 

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:

‘Tchaikovsky gala’

I think this is a clever piece of marketing the more I think about it.  Nothing obscure, people have heard of Tchaikovsky, heard of Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, nothing too taxing and a concert venue rather than a theatre. Lovely music with benefits.  One to take children, perhaps.

Nice evening out, before the holiday weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I think this is a clever piece of marketing the more I think about it.  Nothing obscure, people have heard of Tchaikovsky, heard of Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, nothing too taxing and a concert venue rather than a theatre. Lovely music with benefits.  One to take children, perhaps.

Nice evening out, before the holiday weekend.

Ticket prices reasonable too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

March 29th is Good Friday so the ‘Tchaikovsky gala’ is at the start of a long weekend. No work the day after for many so a trip to Birmingham a possibility depending on Bank Holiday (yay!) trains….

I forgot it was an early Easter next year! Thanks for the reminder.

Maundy Thursday can be the most busy day of the month for us and the worst time to attempt to get away for a ballet or concert, let alone one all the way in Birmingham, but I'll see....I'll know by the start of the month. 

I am so pleased that BRB & RB Sinfonia are continuing their orchestra plus dance concerts. I know lots of people love the format, and love watching dance and listening to classical music in this way.

6 hours ago, Ondine said:

Actually, it's not a bad idea, is it? It could well draw in a fresh audience for ballet via 'popular' classical music (which isn't in any way denigrating Tchaikovsky). People go away humming the tunes and then consider a trip to the theatre to see a production? No names mentioned yet for dancers. It could give a few 'up and comings' a chance to dance these pieces, without the pressure of a full ballet.

Symphony Hall, Birmingham.  2,262 seat concert venue.  Hopefully makes a few quid for BRB also?

https://bmusic.co.uk/events/tchaikovsky-classics-with-birmingham-royal-ballet

It's hardly a new idea.  Birmingham Royal Ballet & Sinfonia have been performing "An evening of Music & Dance" at Symphony Hall for at least 20 years.  This is just a themed version of the EoM&D, which has sold well for donks.

I've already got my ticket ... It is always a highlight of the year!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

@Ondine That link is from 2022, with Symphony Hall looking VERY full.  I know, I was there!

Yes the FB post is from 2022. I thought it gave a flavour of the event for anyone wishing to book.

BRB.thumb.jpg.db8186ccc4926cdc872bfa190857bf39.jpg

Another upcoming BRB event Feb 14th 2024 (where has 2023 gone?)

https://www.brb.org.uk/shows/an-evening-with-brb-at-hockley-social-club

An Evening with BRB at Hockley Social Club

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

On 17/12/2023 at 17:09, PeterS said:

March 29th is Good Friday so the ‘Tchaikovsky gala’ is at the start of a long weekend. No work the day after for many so a trip to Birmingham a possibility depending on Bank Holiday (yay!) trains….

I had completely not clocked that it was a long weekend.  That makes a lot more sense.  Thanks for flagging.  

Still not sure about wanting to see just Tchaikovsky.  The last gala in 2023 was a lot better curated with clearer themes and a slightly more varied programme with a mix of old favourites and some newer works like Interlinked pas de deux and a more modern take on Carmen.  But I'll see what else I've got on.  

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, alison said:

Looks like a great evening’s entertainment that has almost sold out with Grand Tier seats only left at £30.

We're delighted to announce the full repertory and casting for Tchaikovsky Classics at Symphony Hall on 28 March:

Polacca from Suite no.3

Swan Lake: White Swan pas de deux
Cast: Miki Mizutani and Max Maslen

Swan Lake: Cygnets pas de quatre
Cast: Rosanna Ely, Reina Fuchigami, Frieda Katoch, Rachele Pizzillo

Swan Lake: Russian Dance

The Sleeping Beauty: Garland Dance
Cast: Elmhurst Ballet School

The Sleeping Beauty: Sarabande and the Prince's Solo
Cast: Tzu-Chao Chou

The Sleeping Beauty: Bluebird pas de deux
Cast: Sofia Linares and Enrique Bejarano

Marche Slave, Op.31

INTERVAL

Polonaise from Eugene Onegin

The Nutcracker grand pas de deux
Cast: Yu Kurihara and Lachlan Monaghan

Capriccio Italien

Swan Lake: Act III pas de deux
Cast: Momoko Hirata and Mathias Dingman

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like an interesting set of dances and Tzu-Chao will be amazing in the Prince's solo.  I'm not going on this occasion (because the timings don't work for me) but I'm glad it's sold well for them.  

• Like 1

And the press release (issued a couple of days ago but I've been in glorious Sunderland for Sleeping Beauty):

PRESS RELEASE

14 March 2024

unnamed.png.063f25287df2c25be8a0d58245d6a6d0.png

FULL PROGRAMME AND CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR

TCHAIKOVSKY CLASSICS AT SYMPHONY HALL

A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF THE LEGENDARY COMPOSER

image002.jpg.37e443d1cc07cb8b99f662160469f61a.jpg

The award-winning Birmingham Royal Ballet and Royal Ballet Sinfonia return to the city’s famous Symphony Hall on 28 March with a spectacular night of Tchaikovsky Classics.

Tchaikovsky Classics celebrates the music of the legendary composer whose classical ballet scores for Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker, a feature in BRB’s classical ballet programming, are recognised across the globe.

The evening features world class dancers from BRB’s main company including principals Lachlan Monaghan, Max Maslen, Miki Mizutani, Momoko Hirata and Tzu-Chao Chou, as well as students from Birmingham’s Elmhurst Ballet School

Performance highlights include excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s great works including the tender and romantic white swan pas de deux from Swan Lake; The Sleeping Beauty’s heart-stopping, bravura pas de deux for the Bluebird and Princess Florine from Act IV and the beautiful grand pas de deux for the Prince and the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker.

Alongside these, the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, conducted by Principal Conductor Paul Murphy, who will be BRB’s new Music Director and Principal Conductor from July, will play some of Tchaikovsky’s orchestral music that inspired the greatest 20th-century choreographers such as George Balanchine (Theme and Variations).

Further highlights include the Russian Dance from Swan Lake, rarely performed in current versions of the ballet, and features one of the most prominent and virtuosic violin solos in the repertoire performed by Leader of the Royal Ballet Sinfonia Robert Gibbs.

Finally, making his conducting debut performance with the Sinfonia, will be Yi Wei, BRB’s Constant Lambert Conducting Fellow, who will be taking the baton for Marche Slave, Op.31.

The full programme and casting has now been announced:

Polacca from Suite no.3

Cast: Miki Mizutani and Max Maslen

Marche Slave, Op.31

Cast: Yu Kurihara and Lachlan Monaghan

Capriccio Italien

Cast: Momoko Hirata and Mathias Dingman

Tickets for Tchaikovsky Classics at Symphony Hall, part of B: Music, on 28 March at 7.30pm are available at www.bmusic.co.uk

Notes to Editors

Birmingham Royal Ballet 

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future. The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta. Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 100 shows a year nationally and internationally. 

Royal Ballet Sinfonia 

Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances with Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, and La Scala Ballet.

• Thanks 1

On 17/12/2023 at 17:09, PeterS said:

March 29th is Good Friday so the ‘Tchaikovsky gala’ is at the start of a long weekend. No work the day after for many so a trip to Birmingham a possibility depending on Bank Holiday (yay!) trains

Avanti are not running any Birmingham to London trains over the Easter weekend. Chiltern are running a Saturday service with longer trains than usual on Good Friday. 

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

A revised casting has been posted on BRB website:

Polacca from Suite no.3

Cast: Céline Gittens and Yasiel Hodelin*

Solo violin: Robert Gibbs

Marche Slave, Op.31

INTERVAL

Cast: Miki Mizutani and Max Maslen*

Capriccio Italien

Cast: Yu Kurihara and Lachlan Monaghan*

* change from originally announced casting

• Thanks 2

BRB’s main main full length ballet next year is Cinderella. After this evenings Music and Dance offering Swan Lake has to follow the year after. TonightYu Kurihara was absolutely phenomenal as Odile in the Black Act Pas de deux. Lachlan Monaghan’s Siegfried didn’t stand a chance. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This young lady is something very special

• Like 5