Repayment of funding

Diva05

My YP is at a vocational school (senior years) but they do not want to stay. Could somebody with experience please provide some insight into what happens regarding DaDa and living cost allowance? Will we be penalised financially for them leaving before the course has been completed? I had not anticipated being in this position at the start of their course, but I cannot stand by and watch their mental health deteriorate any further. 

I don’t know the answer but I hope you find a way out of this situation and can move your YP to a more suitable environment. 
We have been in similar circumstances and it’s dreadful to watch your offspring suffer and not be able to get them out immediately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

Does anyone know if you can apply for Dada funding further into a course, for example 2nd/3rd year ? 

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that the DaDa funding goes along with the Trinity Diploma which is run over 3 years. I’ve know students leave after 2 years with a level 5 qualification but not get a DaDa for years 6:2 and 6:3. 

37 minutes ago, Lifeafterballet said:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that the DaDa funding goes along with the Trinity Diploma which is run over 3 years. I’ve know students leave after 2 years with a level 5 qualification but not get a DaDa for years 6:2 and 6:3. 

Yes I mean a trinity diploma. 

12 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

I’m a bit confused - surely people’s circumstances can change during the course and it can be re-evaluated ? Also there is a certain amount of movement in and out of schools througout the 3 years ? 

The Dada gets financially assessed for and given prior to starting 6:1 and then lasts for the whole 3 years. It can’t be issued to another student or transferred to another school. That was our understanding. 
Those that start in 6:2 or just do a graduate year pay cash or receive an internal bursary in my experience. 

Edited by Lifeafterballet
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lifeafterballet said:

It can’t be issued to another student or transferred to another school. That was our understanding. 

Things may have changed, but I'm pretty certain that when my DD was at NBS, if someone on a DADA left, that funding was sometimes then passed to another student, or a student joining in a later year. I may be wrong though.

The government guidance for schools about DADAs is published https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-guide-2023-to-2024-academic-year/dance-and-drama-awards-guide

It is up to the institution how they spend the funds that they are allocated. It doesn't specify that the funding has to go to first year students only, but it does say that it should be used to support continuing students already in receipt of DADA funding ahead of students applying for the first time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glowlight said:

Things may have changed, but I'm pretty certain that when my DD was at NBS, if someone on a DADA left, that funding was sometimes then passed to another student, or a student joining in a later year. I may be wrong though.

The government guidance for schools about DADAs is published https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-guide-2023-to-2024-academic-year/dance-and-drama-awards-guide

It is up to the institution how they spend the funds that they are allocated. It doesn't specify that the funding has to go to first year students only, but it does say that it should be used to support continuing students already in receipt of DADA funding ahead of students applying for the first time.

That’s good to know - of course it makes sense that people who are already recipients should get priority but hopeful that you say it can be transferred to other students if someone leaves.