DD applied last year and thought the ballet class was quite challenging compared to other auditions which seemed to around the intermediate standard. The jazz class was much easier. The interview was brief and friendly. She did a self-choreographed contemporary solo and was lucky enough to receive a place and a Dada. She didn’t end up accepting as she chose elsewhere, but we were impressed with the school, good facilities and lovely staff who seemed very switched on to getting dancers contracts after graduation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, margarite said:

DD applied last year and thought the ballet class was quite challenging compared to other auditions which seemed to around the intermediate standard. The jazz class was much easier. The interview was brief and friendly. She did a self-choreographed contemporary solo and was lucky enough to receive a place and a Dada. She didn’t end up accepting as she chose elsewhere, but we were impressed with the school, good facilities and lovely staff who seemed very switched on to getting dancers contracts after graduation.

Thank you for this - was dada recieved at same time as Place? Did they mention year group sizes when you attended audition ?

No, she auditioned in January and was offered a place the week after. The Dada offer came in late March - my understanding is that they wait until all the audition days are finished and then they start to offer Dadas according to their ‘talent list’. I can’t remember exactly about year group sizes, 25 seems to come to mind, but i think if the classical route is chosen in the second year the classes are much smaller, as the majority seem to choose Jazz/musical theatre strand.

I think DS was around intermediate / advanced 1 level for ballet when he auditioned a few years ago and said it was fine, felt comfortable. They had some current students in the class too so that they have somebody there if they forget something and need to take a peek! There are all sorts of levels of each genre who apply, as some apply with a view to going down Jazz and Musical theatre focus route and others want to go down the ballet focus route. Everybody who auditions does both classes, so there are obviously people there with different strengths. 

For the solo, DS did a ballet and contemporary one, but go for whatever feels most comfortable as there were pretty much all dance styles. The interview was a friendly 5 minute chat, just to get to know them a little really... the basic questions around why they want to dance, where they want to go with it etc.

DS felt very comfortable there on the audition day, it was one of the friendliest and most welcoming we attended. He loved it then and still does - for him it just felt like home. He turned down a number of other offers to go there and hasn't looked back. Feel free to DM if you want any more info about the school.... he's still there so I can always ask him Qs for you if necessary! 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Last year we heard the Friday after Saturday’s audition via email. Glad your daughter found the audition ok. I was surprised that DD said it was quite complex last year as auditions do tend to be aimed at intermediate/adv 1 level and she was studying adv 2 at the time! I hope you get good news soon. 

8 hours ago, BalletRat said:

Dd attended audition on Saturday , did a contemporary solo and found the work fairly simple. Really hoping for a result soon - how long have others waited in past?

So pleased your DD had a positive audition. Letters/emails tend to be sent out promptly, about a Week. DaDa offers are later. 🤞🏻

• 2 months later...
On 29/11/2023 at 13:08, Dancingpotato said:

Thank you for this - was dada recieved at same time as Place? Did they mention year group sizes when you attended audition ?

Year group sizes are approx 30 or under. However many classes are smaller as they can be split by ability/pathway choices etc. 

My DD’s ballet class has 8 in it, I think. 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 08:29, Ballet-taxi said:

Year group sizes are approx 30 or under. However many classes are smaller as they can be split by ability/pathway choices etc. 

My DD’s ballet class has 8 in it, I think. 

With exam classes being even smaller. If I recall my DD joined 3 others for the final pre exam lessons. Pupils are only entered for exams based on individual merit rather than as a cohort. So each pupil has some control over their pathway.  🙆‍♀️

Edited by balletbean

1 hour ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Yes, much the same! There are 3 in her exam group. 

Can they still do the RAD exams if they have studied under a different board? DD has advanced 1 but all her exams have been done with IDTA could she still do the RAD at NBS do you know? 

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 21:13, La sylphide said:

Can they still do the RAD exams if they have studied under a different board? DD has advanced 1 but all her exams have been done with IDTA could she still do the RAD at NBS do you know? 

I can’t see any reason besides the pupils own abilities that could prevent them from taking the exam. Each pupil is judged on their own merit for exams at NBS. 
Might just take a little bit longer for those that have trained in other boards ie ISTD/IDTA to be become more acquainted with the terminology and slight tweak in technique as the examination boards may vary slightly but by the advanced level I’m sure pupils would take that in their stride.   
I’ve had a quick look at RAD but can’t see any restrictions from their perspective either. 🩰😊. Hope that has helped. 

• Thanks 1

On 29/02/2024 at 21:13, La sylphide said:

Hi there,

I have asked my daughter who is a year 3 student & she has said it is possible to take rad after studying a different exam board. Obviously it would depend on ability as to what grade. 

Mj 

• Like 2