Bath/Bristol Advanced Adult Ballet Classes

elizabeth.mp3

I am thinking of moving from London to Bath and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any really challenging/advanced adult ballet classes in the Bath/Bristol area, preferably ones that are 1h 30m to get a full class in? I am concerned because it seems like most classes are only 1h long as opposed to the 1h 30m I am accustomed to, and it also seems like it might be trickier to find studios that really take adult ballet seriously (from what I see there are plenty of training schools for children).

I trained with a pre-professional company in the US for many years and would like to continue this level of classes - I currently do int/adv classes at Danceworks in London and those are challenging enough.

There is also Bristol Ballet and they do performances though think the adult one is called 

Ballet Bristol 

They meet every Wednesday and their class is 90 mins followed by pointework and then whatever Rep they are working on. 
I don’t know which part of Bristol they meet in and whether it’s on the Bath side etc. 

Edited by LinMM

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

There is also Bristol Ballet and they do performances though think the adult one is called 

Ballet Bristol 

They meet every Wednesday and their class is 90 mins followed by pointework and then whatever Rep they are working on. 
I don’t know which part of Bristol they meet in and whether it’s on the Bath side etc. 

Oh nice! Thank you so much, I'll check them out :)

20 hours ago, elizabeth.mp3 said:

I am thinking of moving from London to Bath and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any really challenging/advanced adult ballet classes in the Bath/Bristol area, preferably ones that are 1h 30m to get a full class in? I am concerned because it seems like most classes are only 1h long as opposed to the 1h 30m I am accustomed to, and it also seems like it might be trickier to find studios that really take adult ballet seriously (from what I see there are plenty of training schools for children).

I trained with a pre-professional company in the US for many years and would like to continue this level of classes - I currently do int/adv classes at Danceworks in London and those are challenging enough.

I wouldn’t get put off by the fact that there is a school for children attached to Bristol Russian Ballet School. There is a weekly class at an advanced level, one of the dancers is an ex principal of ENB. Chika and Yury were both  principals in Russia and are also involved in directing productions for ballet companies in the U.K. some of their recent  students are training at top schools in the U.K., parts of Europe and Russia. I think if you’ve done classes at Danceworks especially with the Russian teachers you will find the style very similar. They are lovely people too! Depending on your age you could ask them if you can join the advanced classes with the older students too. They are 4 times a week. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

I wouldn’t get put off by the fact that there is a school for children attached to Bristol Russian Ballet School. There is a weekly class at an advanced level, one of the dancers is an ex principal of ENB. Chika and Yury were both  principals in Russia and are also involved in directing productions for ballet companies in the U.K. some of their recent  students are training at top schools in the U.K., parts of Europe and Russia. I think if you’ve done classes at Danceworks especially with the Russian teachers you will find the style very similar. They are lovely people too! Depending on your age you could ask them if you can join the advanced classes with the older students too. They are 4 times a week. 

This is helpful to know, thank you so much! I don’t do Russian-style classes specifically, but I’m sure they’re good.

23 hours ago, elizabeth.mp3 said:

This is helpful to know, thank you so much! I don’t do Russian-style classes specifically, but I’m sure they’re good.

The youth company train on a Sunday but ex members and pro dancers have joint in for the class part previously. That is on a Sunday. Yury is an excellent teacher and often coaches the professional Russian dancers when they perform at the Royal Opera. 

• Like 2