LBC Late availability : rehearsal of ENB school summer programme. Today Wednesday 28 June at 1.45pm

At the time of writing we have a few places available for this lovely rehearsal later today.  Please email events@tlbc.org.uk if you’d like to attend.

The schedule for the rehearsal includes Schaufuss’ La Sylphide, a new creation by Andrew McNicol, and Balanchine’s Who Cares.  

Full info here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/visit-to-enbs-summer-2023-rehearsals

• Like 1

I went to this rehearsal yesterday and had the enormous treat of seeing Deborah Wingert from the Balanchine Trust rehearsing the students in “Who Cares” She is totally an inspirational teacher and just so funny! The students more than rose to the occasion and were just terrific in this.

If anyone can get to the Peacock on Sat July 8th or Sunday afternoon on 9th please do it’s worth it for this piece alone. The icing on the cake yesterday was when one of Deborah’s own teachers Christian Holder turned up so a lovely little reunion there and so lovely to see her so moved by seeing him. Good teachers never forgotten!! 
These two are both interesting in that Deborah was picked out by Balanchine at 16 years old to join the company ( and talking about height on another thread …she must be about 5ft 10 tall!) and Christian Holder was the first recipient of a grant in UK to study with Martha Graham in the States. 
But back to the students we also saw a sort of neo classical piece being rehearsed and saw what hard work goes into perfecting everything…lots of repeating sections ….sometimes just for correct positioning of an arm or foot even! 
They are also performing parts of La Sylphide which we did not see yesterday but am sure will be fab too. 

I haven’t seen anything to date as yet about whether any of these students have been offered places in the main Company but I do hope they are at least looking at them!!! 
Thankyou LBC for another lovely afternoon. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, alison said:

Can anyone confirm whether it's the whole of who cares? or only a chunk? The Sandler's wells website is ambiguous.

Alison - based on the NYCB version - ENBS is just doing the four opening corps segments plus a modified finale without the soloists and principal participatory elements - and certainly minus all of their (i.e., principal and soloist) pdd and solos which make up a good portion of the original - which itself runs 40 minutes in total in its entirety.  Hope that makes some sense.  In short - and in answer to your question - no, it is not the whole thing - much as La Sylphide is very much a truncated concert highlight version.  This allows the ENBS to also showcase brief premieres of work such as have been created for the students.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

At the rehearsal we saw a section where there are 5 ( I think) or 4 not sure now pas de deux which seem to lead into each other but whether the main two in each of the pas de deux were from the corps in this ballet ( so a sort of corps section with some pas de deux interspersed ) or they were supposed to be “soloists”  I don’t know  as I don’t know the ballet well enough. 
They were amazing anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Judging by the programme notes list of Gershwin songs compared to the list on the Wikipedia entry for "Who Care's", the ENBS performance was the first half  (8 out of 17 songs).  

I went on Sunday and enjoyed it a lot.  I noticed in particular a male Indian dancer, Love Kotiya.  This reminded me that a year or two ago, another Indian ENBS  student, Kamal (Noddy) Singh was getting attention in the media.  Does anyone know what he is doing now?  

• Like 1

Yes he is a wonderful dancer isn’t he 

Some of the students said where they were going next year but he didn’t …I don’t think …would be great if ENB would take him!! 
On the rehearsal day he had to work especially hard as was in two casts but seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself! 

Edited by LinMM

We had an article about Love Kotiya in Links in December.  It looked as though he was not meeting his "Go Fund Me" target so I am really glad to read that he was able to join ENBS.

https://www.vogue.in/culture-and-living/content/nick-sethis-photo-essay-with-indian-ballet-dancer-love-kotiya-is-equal-parts-striking-and-inspirational

Here is a link for a recent IG post where he mentions being passed to go to the ENBS International Training Programme.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuKa89eITj2/?hl=en

Thanks Janet.  Does anyone know what Kamal (Noddy) Singh is doing? 

If you search for "Kamal Singh ballet" on Youtube there were quite a few mediai stories about him 1-2 years ago - including from the BBC and Telegraph.  

Has he graduated?  

• 3 weeks later...