Help with finding obscure ballet

I don't know if this is allowed on here so please delete/move if inappropriate.

Could someone help me identify the ballet that is casually mentioned here (timestamp 6:07)? Giselle is the first one and the second one is unintelligible to me. Dupiana? Is it some obscure piece I would've never heard about? Does it exist at all? For context, this show was aired in 2013 featuring a fictional Australian ballet school & company. I went through some old season announcements online but found nothing that could help me. Thanks

Could it be the (fictional) choreographer’s name? Like “the Ratmansky”, “the Balanchine”. It didn’t sound like a ballet I’ve heard of although they did say it very quickly. It looks a bit like a mix of The Next Step (Canadian, on CBBC), Tiny Pretty Things (US, Netflix).....maybe slightly more innocent than TPT! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Could it be the (fictional) choreographer’s name? Like “the Ratmansky”, “the Balanchine”. It didn’t sound like a ballet I’ve heard of although they did say it very quickly. It looks a bit like a mix of The Next Step (Canadian, on CBBC), Tiny Pretty Things (US, Netflix).....maybe slightly more innocent than TPT! 

Maybe. I'm guessing it's something in french they're pronouncing horribly, or it could be a choreographer as well, but not the fictional one. They do consistently refer to existing ballets 99% of the time, all of which I know, except for this one, so I would be surprised if it was imaginary.

It's a good show, one of the better "ballet school" programs aimed at tweens and teens, and indeed, a lot more innocent than TPT and more realistic than TNS. It's all on youtube if you or someone in your life wants to give it a watch :))

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I'm now worried about Tim. I hope he's better.

After this instance, Tim is never seen or mentioned again, so his injury could have gone both ways. I'm afraid I can't give you any more information on his health, but we'll send him some virtual well wishes

• Like 1

Ondine and MoVR now have a mission to watch the rest of the episodes and see if this Du Biana/Dobiana ballet or person ever appears 😊. It’s not even an Australian choreographer I’ve heard of eg Murphy, Welch, Topp, Baynes, Harbour, Tankard, Bonachela, Podesta, etc etc. Among ballets old and new, also drawing a blank, sorry! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Ondine and MoVR now have a mission to watch the rest of the episodes and see if this Du Biana/Dobiana ballet or person ever appears 😊. It’s not even an Australian choreographer I’ve heard of eg Murphy, Welch, Topp, Baynes, Harbour, Tankard, Bonachela, Podesta, etc etc. Among ballets old and new, also drawing a blank, sorry! 

I've seen the whole thing (65 episodes!) front to back twice already, and Doo Piana is never mentioned again. I was going through the episodes in more detail recently and it bugs me that I can't understand what they're saying. Bonachela appears in an episode by the way! 

I'll try to let it rest, maybe someone in the future has an eureka moment. Thanks for trying though! 

• Like 2

For what it's worth, it sounded to my ears like the first two letters were "Di" and not "Du". If you could get in touch with the screenwriter he/she would probably be happy to tell you. This is the kind of thing that would wake me up at 2 o'clock in the morning. Good luck! Please post if you find out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MoVR said:

I don't know if this is allowed on here so please delete/move if inappropriate.

Could someone help me identify the ballet that is casually mentioned here (timestamp 6:07)? Giselle is the first one and the second one is unintelligible to me. Dupiana? Is it some obscure piece I would've never heard about? Does it exist at all? For context, this show was aired in 2013 featuring a fictional Australian ballet school & company. I went through some old season announcements online but found nothing that could help me. Thanks

Unfortunately the video is unavailable to me. Which episode of Dance Academy was it? I have the DVDs so can check it for you.

• Thanks 1

I put the subtitles on they are saying "deep Jana" not that I can find a ballet of that name on Google. The word deep was all lower case on the subtitles. 

Chopiniana would seem the nearest had I not seen the subtitles.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Unfortunately the video is unavailable to me. Which episode of Dance Academy was it? I have the DVDs so can check it for you.

It's season 3 episode 1. Do the Dvd's have accurate subtitles?

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

I put the subtitles on they are saying "deep Jana" not that I can find a ballet of that name on Google. The word deep was all lower case on the subtitles. 

Chopiniana would seem the nearest had I not seen the subtitles.

Hope that helps. 

The subtitles are auto-generated and dont exactly pick up things they dont understand, like obscure French things. Thanks for trying though!

I thought about Chopiniana too, but they call it Les Sylphides in Australia, even mention it within the series, so I ruled that one out.  

The subtitles on YouTube are auto-generated. Those on the DVDs are not.

The lines are:

Grace: I think it's a bridge-building kind of day.

Ollie: They're doing Giselle...

Ben: I thought it was De Piana.

Tara: De Piana, then Giselle.

It's a fictional ballet, and if it's the one with Tara and Grace dressed as chickens, it's a) a rip-off of Fille and b) as listed in the credits, uses an extract from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition: V. Ballet of the Chick[en]s in their Shells. The choreography is by Stephen Colyer, a graduate of ABS, who has worked as a theatre director and choreographer after dancing with AusBallet, Royal Ballet of Flanders, and Opera Australia among others.

As an aside, I personally find it amusing that the Australian actor Barry Otto (whom I interviewed in about 1988) plays Sir Jeffrey, the "National Ballet Company" AD. In the film sequel to the series, the new AD, Madeline Moncur, is played by his daughter, Miranda Otto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yay, mystery solved!

I thought that because of the chickens and farmhands it was supposed to represent La Fille mal Gardée as well, even though the music is from Pictures at an Exhibition and Sylvia respectively, how weird they didn't just call it that. Now it's a weird sort of in-between ballet.

Thank you for putting the pieces together :))

I thought Barry (and Miranda) Otto was a great addition to the cast, he's got a very particular style to him which I enjoyed.

• Like 1