BRB2 - Carlos Acosta's Classical Selection

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

Well no as they haven't been to my part of the sticks. Were you there when RC was in Peterborough?

Anyhow we are currently discussing the critical review not the performance?

Possibly he has a few useful things to say?

If you weren’t there how do you know his put downs are justified? You’re supporting his analyses. I’m saying that if he doesn’t like something, there’s a more professional way to express it. It looks like he’s gone to a primary school recital and said “gosh, they’re terrible- they can’t do double fouettes or memorise a full concerto”. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

If you weren’t there how do you know his put downs are justified? You’re supporting his analyses. I’m saying that if he doesn’t like something, there’s a more professional way to express it. It looks like he’s gone to a primary school recital and said “gosh, they’re terrible- they can’t do double fouettes or memorise a full concerto”. 

He's entitled to his opinion, which is an informed one, he's an experienced critic, and he gave praise where he felt it was warranted. It's his job. 

This was a professional performance by a professional company of professional dancers and it has to be viewed in that context.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 3

So, his professional bad review is in print, my F minus review of his review is in cyberspace. Would give an F minus minus but it just looks like a typo,  I will leave it as F minus.

The world is in balance again. 

Wishing BRB2 toi toi toi for their next shows, and to ignore all mean critics. 😊 

• Like 5

I doubt very much he cares about your review here TBH.   He won't be filling pages on a forum fuming about it I'm pretty sure. 😏

You appear to have missed all the positive things he says.  The art of being a critic, however, is not about being uncritical.  It's a tough old world out there, in the arts, and if you want to carry on getting state funding, you need to ensure it's warranted. I'm sure BRB will be taking all that he says into consideration.

It may choose to reject it,  I'm not sure that would be wise but hey.

• Like 3

I've finally read the review. I don't know how many here are familiar with RC's opera criticism, but I felt this was in the same vein: constructive criticism. Art needs reviewers to be critical friends, not cheerleaders.

I feel like I'm his repeat defender on this forum, but while I often disagree with his opinions I would not question his right or qualifications to have them. My view of him is that he's a thoughtful reviewer, always striving to see things with the fresh eyes of an average punter and taxpayer (more so than most reviewers IMO). Underpinning this is decades of watching ballet both at his own expense and as a professional reviewer. And as has been pointed out above, he's writing in the Spectator, which has/had the reputation of paying peanuts but allowing its writers latitude to say what they really think.

Also: he was there; most of those criticising him here were not.

Edited by Lizbie1
say for see
  • Like 4

Christiansen does not like BRB under any circumstances, mainly on the grounds that they are not the Royal Ballet.  Had the performance been fully lit, with a live orchestra and given to a full audience he would have found something else to criticise.

I am sorry the company still give him press ticket.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Christiansen does not like BRB under any circumstances, mainly on the grounds that they are not the Royal Ballet.  Had the performance been fully lit, with a live orchestra and given to a full audience he would have found something else to criticise.

I am sorry the company still give him press ticket.

He had a fair few positive things to say. He may well have bought his own ticket of course, and the show may well have been less than perfect. It's his job to say so.

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s the title he has chosen for the review which I find objectionable.  It is far from balanced and frankly, unpleasant and certainly undeserved. 

That's almost certainly an editor's work.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

That's almost certainly an editor's work.

I agree,  though I don't see what's wrong with it really.  Nottingham had the orchestra at least? Nothing wrong with saying, 'Good in parts but it needs to be better'.

"Patronising to the people of Peterborough: BRB2’s Carlos Acosta Classical Selections reviewed

There was no scenery, rudimentary lighting, recorded music and junior company dancers – this wasn’t the real thing"

6 hours ago, Ondine said:

I agree,  though I don't see what's wrong with it really.  Nottingham had the orchestra at least? Nothing wrong with saying, 'Good in parts but it needs to be better'.

"Patronising to the people of Peterborough: BRB2’s Carlos Acosta Classical Selections reviewed

There was no scenery, rudimentary lighting, recorded music and junior company dancers – this wasn’t the real thing"

It was Northampton.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

So it was hit and miss as to who got the orchestra?  Nottingham didn't?

Peteborough also drew the short straw it seems.

The orchestra was only scheduled to play in Northampton - as was clear in the publicity and emails I received from the company.  Unfortunately I was unable to attend the performances I had booked but I believe there was a pianist and another musician used in a couple of the pieces.

• Like 1