VERDENSBALLETTEN 2023

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

via Google translate

At the World Ballet, we are passionate about presenting ballet and opera at the very highest level in non-traditional settings.

We have therefore looked forward to presenting this year's artists, who with their talent and expertise, passion and impact guarantee a world-class performance.

International ballet stars

The participating ballet dancers come from The Royal Ballet of London, Staatsballett Berlin, The Royal Ballet in Copenhagen, and The Norwegian National Ballet in Oslo. Distinctive companies that each have their own distinctive character and that represent a high international level.

You will be able to experience the dancers in classical ballet, modern dance, and completely new choreographies created especially for the World Ballet's performance. r

Artistic director solo dancer Steven McRae

Iana Salenko
Anne Rose O’Sullivan
Yasmine Naghdi
Astrid Elbo
Reece Clarke
Marian Walter 
Xander Perrish

Jens-Christian Wandt
Sofie Elkjær Jensen
Niklas Walentin
Alexander McKenzie

More information: https://verdensballetten.dk/

Same dancers as 2022.   And many of these have performed regularly on this

sumner outdoors tour.  

You’d rhink the audience might be interested in experiencing other dancers too.  There are plenty of good ones about.  (I have the same criticism of the Ballet Icons Gala in London).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

So I clicked the link & then got completely bamboozled…. Is it in Danish/Norwegian? So at a loss to even work out where this is! But thanks for the heads up! 

The performances are touring Denmark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

So I clicked the link & then got completely bamboozled…. Is it in Danish/Norwegian? So at a loss to even work out where this is! But thanks for the heads up! 

Right click...translate page

Never been to Denmark….

My life plan (or more likely pipe dream?!) is to start visiting places I’ve never been tying in with ballet galas & companies not before seen….

Keep buying the lottery tickets… 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

There will be free concerts of RDB at the open air all over Denmark in June. The only problem is that if there is rain (even few drops ), the concert is cancelled.

https://kglteater.dk/det-sker/sason-20222023/ballet/kongelig-sommerballet

If you press +, you'll see the places where the dancers perform. Unfortunately the information is only available in Danish, but you can see the dates and places - last concert is in Copenhagen.

Edited by Estreiiita
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

This year Verdensballeten's team have been really unlucky as it was the rainiest July in many years.

On the 1st of August  I've been to the open air gala concert "Dance for hope" in Mindeparken in Aarhus. Unfortunately it was raining non stop through the whole performance (only right in the end the sun came out and we were awarded by beautiful rainbow).

Nevertheless many of the dancers decided to perform even under the bad weather conditions - especially many thanks to the british participants, they all were up the scene and maybe their performance wasn't on the usual top level as they should have danced quite carefully, but still they were superb in showing the beauty of the ballet to many spectators that came to see them. Actually it was only Xander Parish who didn't take part in this gala.

I've recorded some of  the performances but have to apologize as in the middle of the first number something happened with my camera and the sound almost went off, but if you would like to estimate, under what conditions the dancers had to perform, here it is:

1) Astrid Elbo (RDB), Reece Clarke (ROH), the excerpt from the white pdd from "The Swan lake":

2) Pdd "Cote a cote" (created to the poem of prince Henrik, late husband of our queen Margrethe), Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Steven McRae (both from ROH):

3) a very touching pdd "Les adieux", chor. Eric Gauthier , music Metallica (played by Niklas Walentin, the violinist), Iana Salenko and Marian Walter (both from Berlin):

4) Steven McRae "Czardas", music Vittorio Monti:

Besides we saw "The dying swan" performed by Iana Salenko, the beautiful performance of danish jazz flamenco dancer Selene Munoz, opera and pop singers and monologue of Sofie Gråbøl, a famous danish actress.

There was a great atmosphere at the concert and I'm very glad that I've been there (and watching Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Steven McRae made me willingly buy a ticket to see them performing "Don Quichote" together in October!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

We had similar at Athelhampton the last three years. Unfortunately not happening this year, but should be on next year.

I’m assuming Athelhampton is more expensive (if you want a decent view) compared to the  Verdensballetten tours … which are open air and hence at risk of weather in Denmark.  

There is also Hatch House in UK … again expensive because it’s marquee and includes dinner. 

However at least Hatch House have a high stage so that most people can actually see the dancers’ legs and feet.   They haven’t got that right at Athelhampton yet.  

Why they can’t learn from Steven McRae and Johan Kobborg of over a decade of doing this successfully in Denmark is beyond me! 

Seems there could be an opportunity for something more affordable touring the UK outdoors venues like in Denmark.   

Edited by FionaE
Grammar

Well, to be honest, the tickets to Verdensballetten's shows aren't cheap, around 60 pounds, let's say and you still can't be sure if it rains or not; the ticket to this Gala concert I saw was 300 DKK, around 34 pounds, but then it was for a good cause and still a pleasure.

Edited by Estreiiita

Cheapest seats at Athelhampton were £50 and as a fairly small audience you were not too far away. Yes you lost the feet sometimes, the first year the stage was too low, but it was the first public performance of ballet in UK after the pandemic. No costumes and audience socially distanced, but the evident delight of the dancers to be performing was truly moving. Marianela Nunez in particular looked like a kid let loose in a sweetshop!

The following two years it was all much better organised. Stage was raised, but still I think it needs to be a bit higher. Both stage and audience were covered last year  with large awnings, so rain not a problem. I truly hope it returns for 2024.

I’ve been to Athelhampton every year in the £50 seats … I couldn’t see anything from the waist down even when they increased the height of the stage.  I purposefully chose to stand behind the back row.  

So £50 for a standing ticket! 

As you say @Pas de Quatre … a lot closer to the stage than standing stalls circle in ROH.  

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any advice for booking one of these events? I am thinking of arranging a trip for one of the summer 2024 performances. I have looked at the website but it is in Danish, although I do try to figure some of it out. Tickets went on sale earlier this month but there seem to be availability still. Any tips will be appreciated!