Boys-non vocational route to dance for 11+

Jane156

Looking for advice for alternative ways to get into dance other than vocational school at 11. This is for boys as I know it’s slightly different.

Can they be successful at applying later, say for Year 10, despite having to compete with vocational students who have had training every day for 3 years.
Any recommendations for keeping up? 

My son didn’t start ballet til he was 12. He danced locally and attended associate classes with Elmhurst and RBS. He was unsuccessful at 16 for Upper schools, only auditioned for RBS, Elmhurst and Tring, got a place but no funding. So carried on and started A levels at the local school. Applied a year later to one school only and was successful. He had grown. He has now been a professional ballet dancer in a National company for 4 years. 
There’s no rush to get them into vocational school. And he says himself that he really didn’t start to develop as a dancer til he got his first contract. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hanmah67 said:

Thank you. That’s really helpful. Which school did he end up at in the end? 

I feel that a really inspirational male teacher is key. His first year of training was awful. He just felt behind, rubbish and broke very quickly as the teacher didn’t have the patience to invest in a previously non vocational student. He very nearly quit and came home. Then he had Errol Pickford, a true legend who inspired and believed in all of his students. He saw potential and nurtured it. My son thinks of him often. Such a great loss to the ballet world. I adored watching him teach and watching the children’s faces 😊 They were the happiest times. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Lifeafterballet said:

I feel that a really inspirational male teacher is key. His first year of training was awful. He just felt behind, rubbish and broke very quickly as the teacher didn’t have the patience to invest in a previously non vocational student. He very nearly quit and came home. Then he had Errol Pickford, a true legend who inspired and believed in all of his students. He saw potential and nurtured it. My son thinks of him often. Such a great loss to the ballet world. I adored watching him teach and watching the children’s faces 😊 They were the happiest times. 

Couldn't agree more.   

Thinking broader, teachers who believe in their students are the key to all the happy experiences my children have had across the arts disciplines.

• Like 2

My son started ballet at 13. He attended Elmhurst young dancers and started vocational training at 16 at Kate Simmons he secured a contract on the day of his graduation. Finding an inspirational male teacher makes a world of difference and he was lucky to have some lessons with the wonderful Simon gray at my daughter's dance school prior to graduation 

• Like 1

Just a nudge to remind you that there are some excellent female teachers around, who manage to give their lone male students a push in the right direction.  I actually have had great success with the odd male student that comes my way, by diligently working with them on the RAD male syllabi.  Of course from an older age working in a boys class with a male teacher is the ideal solution, but I know of some inspiring female teachers, who by coaching the RAD male syllabi, have brought their boys up to Advanced standard.   I suppose it's luck really to fall into the right hands...... By the way I knew a young man in his 20s, who had only ever done folk dancing. He turned to ballet and after two years training got into the local ballet company. He became a soloist and did very well. 

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2