daisy50

Hi everyone 

I have two daughter one is nineteen the other twenty one both at college studying law and psychology. 

Both have had extensive dance classes in ballet  and contemporary from an early age and are still continuing this.

They have now decided they would like to pursue  dance full time.

My question is what is available in both ballet / contemporary and musical theatre and what is the last possible age to apply 

• Like 1

This is a very difficult question to answer, normally most professional training colleges only take students up to the age of 19/20, however there is sometimes some variablility and flexibility. It depends really on what they want to train in and what their capabilities are. Contemporary/musical theatre colleges are most likely to take older students, which ones also depends on location, whether you need funding (not all offer the funding options), and their aptitude for the course. Their teachers might be the best source of advice for this.

I realise this isnt really very helpful, maybe see what they really want to do as course vary enormously depending on what their preferences are.

2 hours ago, daisy50 said:

Hi everyone 

I have two daughter one is nineteen the other twenty one both at college studying law and psychology. 

Both have had extensive dance classes in ballet  and contemporary from an early age and are still continuing this.

They have now decided they would like to pursue  dance full time.

My question is what is available in both ballet / contemporary and musical theatre and what is the last possible age to apply 

Hi. I wish your daughters all the best.  Exciting times ahead.  If they are seriously considering changing their career direction, some might say they are caught up on the middle of the ages some colleges require. If your eldest is close to graduating with her college course it may well be a good idea to complete the course.  They could continue their training at their current studio. Increasing hours and extending their skill set within associated genres, singing is a bonus. Some institutions welcome the older applicant to the usual 16/18yr olds. The ones I’m thinking of is London Studio Centre and Rambert.  

Also looking at this from a slightly different angle. 

Depends within the performing arts industry of where they see themselves performing.  Obviously a classical ballet company requires vocational school training to even begin to gain access to the ballet companies but there is nothing to stop anyone from attending an ‘open audition’ held by many companies within the industry as they is no prerequisite that all applicants must be a graduate from a recognised dance school/college. ie cruise ships amongst many others. Obviously this has advantages but also no guarantees. The companies are looking for highly skilled dancers not a particular degree or diploma. Not easy I appreciate that but  it has happened in the past where contracts have been offered without a degree/diploma.  The person I know in particular auditioned and remained performing with the particular cruise ship company to close on 9yrs. Leaving by choice having moved up through the ranks from ensemble to solo performer.   
That’s just one example but there are other contract opportunities. 

Might be worth looking at “Industry Auditions” as they have their own Instagram page and website. The website is full of useful information as well as offering audition guidance Headshots/CV’s etc. 

Good luck. Happy to answer any more questions that you may have 😊

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Hi @daisy50,

My dd is at NBS and one of her classmates had done a university degree before starting her training. I'm not sure of the implications long term but it shows that some schools take older students.

I'm also not sure how it would work with funding as the student mentioned isn't from the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DancingShoes said:

Hi @daisy50,

My dd is at NBS and one of her classmates had done a university degree before starting her training. I'm not sure of the implications long term but it shows that some schools take older students.

I'm also not sure how it would work with funding as the student mentioned isn't from the UK.

Same here. In my DD’s yr at NBS there was a pupil older than her peers but as she wasn’t from the Uk I’m not too sure how the funding worked. Funding being a constant issue for so many as we all know only too well 😔

When my dd was at NBS there were several students in her year who were over 19.  One of her flat mates was a fully qualified nurse who had chosen a career change - he was in his mid twenties and went on to have a career as a dancer.

So I would definitely say look at Northern Ballet School.

I was also going to suggest contemporary schools such as Northern School of Contemporary Dance and London Contemporary Dance School, but as these are funded through student loans, funding might be a problem if they've already done a degree.