Are summer schools abroad really worth it?

OnTheMove

Summer schools abroad seem so expensive (and that’s before the cost of travel). Are they really worth it? 

If you think they are, which ones are recommended? Where do you get the best tuition and where is best to be ‘seen’? 

I’m interested to hear everyone’s opinion 😊

7 minutes ago, Newbie126 said:

I would also be interested on opinions on this, its seems the theme of 'being seen' is catching but is it really worth it ?? 

Yes is it worth it? I don’t know. I’m thinking doing YAGP may be more worth it? 

We always picked European summer schools because they were cheaper than the UK ones!

I would honestly say its not worth doing any summer school to be seen, but it is for the life experience and the training.  If DS hand't been to Austria (?) and Copenhagen on his own I'm not sure he would have been able to successfully move abroad when he was just 18.

Experience of friends who paid a fortune for the "name" ones .. so did everyone else and the classes were crowded.

• Like 3

I guess that it gives you an experience of a school so maybe is worth it if you have a particular place you are fascinated by! YAGP is good exposure too.  I think it always helps getting an international outlook on what is out there and what your peers are doing from other countries. Ballet is global ! It’s confidence building knowing that you can hold your own amongst people trained differently and a lot of fun to meet other young dancers with the same passion. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

I guess that it gives you an experience of a school so maybe is worth it if you have a particular place you are fascinated by! YAGP is good exposure too.  I think it always helps getting an international outlook on what is out there and what your peers are doing from other countries. Ballet is global ! It’s confidence building knowing that you can hold your own amongst people trained differently and a lot of fun to meet other young dancers with the same passion. 

That’s a good point. Always good for your dc to see their foreign peers. 

• Like 1

The international summer intensives my daughter and son did were the most happiest memories we have of their ballet journey. Experiencing different countries and cultures, making new friends and we found them less competitive and stressful. They ignited their passion for ballet and allowed them to explore their artistry and performance ability. More freedom I guess 😊 it’s not all about corrections imo

They also helped them later with the international auditions they attended. They knew what they were up against and most of the time were met with friendly faces from past summers. From her experiences of international intensives, competitions, short term visits and YAGP Dd knows a lot of her brothers company dancers. It’s a small world really and it’s good to get acquainted with it early. You can’t rely on the school to give you everything you need, or competitive U.K. summer intensives. Dd was offered RBS SS from YAGP twice and passed it up to go elsewhere. She did YBSS twice and found it tense and competitive with a focus on a particular schools students. The only U.K. summer and Easter intensives we returned to year on year was Malvern. It gave my children everything they needed. Quality teaching in a nurturing, fun and inclusive environment. 
International summer intensives are expensive and we were lucky enough to be offered scholarships to attend the majority. A few we turned into a holiday and others they travelled alone to, developing confidence, independence and life skills. 
When Dd was 17 when she flew on her own to Fort Lauderdale for an intensive. The houseparent was collecting her at the airport. She must have looked a lot younger than her years and border control detained her, took her passport and accused her of travelling on someone else’s. She rang us and mid conversation she was told to hang up. They didn’t believe her. It’s only when the intensives houseparent came forward to verify her identity and age that she was allowed to pass through 😅 You didn’t need a parental letter to travel then, I think under 18’s do now. 

Houston was a bit hairy too as I recall 🤣

• Like 10

Considering some of the comments here recently about the quality/difficulty of UK-based summer schools, I'd have thought the answer to the original question ought to be "Yes".  But obviously you'd need to be selective.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alison said:

Considering some of the comments here recently about the quality/difficulty of UK-based summer schools, I'd have thought the answer to the original question ought to be "Yes".  But obviously you'd need to be selective.

Yes probably. I wonder which summer schools are best? 

14 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

The international summer intensives my daughter and son did were the most happiest memories we have of their ballet journey. Experiencing different countries and cultures, making new friends and we found them less competitive and stressful. They ignited their passion for ballet and allowed them to explore their artistry and performance ability. More freedom I guess 😊 it’s not all about corrections imo

They also helped them later with the international auditions they attended. They knew what they were up against and most of the time were met with friendly faces from past summers. From her experiences of international intensives, competitions, short term visits and YAGP Dd knows a lot of her brothers company dancers. It’s a small world really and it’s good to get acquainted with it early. You can’t rely on the school to give you everything you need, or competitive U.K. summer intensives. Dd was offered RBS SS from YAGP twice and passed it up to go elsewhere. She did YBSS twice and found it tense and competitive with a focus on a particular schools students. The only U.K. summer and Easter intensives we returned to year on year was Malvern. It gave my children everything they needed. Quality teaching in a nurturing, fun and inclusive environment. 
International summer intensives are expensive and we were lucky enough to be offered scholarships to attend the majority. A few we turned into a holiday and others they travelled alone to, developing confidence, independence and life skills. 
When Dd was 17 when she flew on her own to Fort Lauderdale for an intensive. The houseparent was collecting her at the airport. She must have looked a lot younger than her years and border control detained her, took her passport and accused her of travelling on someone else’s. She rang us and mid conversation she was told to hang up. They didn’t believe her. It’s only when the intensives houseparent came forward to verify her identity and age that she was allowed to pass through 😅 You didn’t need a parental letter to travel then, I think under 18’s do now. 

Houston was a bit hairy too as I recall 🤣

This is good to hear that your children had such a wonderful time. Other than airport experiences in America. Scary! 

It’s something worth looking into then from your experience. 

My dc would love to meet people from other countries and train with them I’m sure. 

Which ones do you know have help with scholarships and bursaries? And I wonder how you go about getting them? 

I’m thinking my dc can do one of the European semi finals for YAGP this year and something may come from that - you never know. 

On another note, do you know when you can register for them as the website isn’t mentioning 23/24 yet? 

2 hours ago, OnTheMove said:

Yes probably. I wonder which summer schools are best? 

This is my DD's first year of summer intensives, so the info is coming from other people:

Paris Opera

Dutch National

European School of Ballet

Danish ... (not sure about the name)

Art of

Prague

BIB

18 minutes ago, BarbaraH said:

This is my DD's first year of summer intensives, so the info is coming from other people:

Paris Opera

Dutch National

European School of Ballet

Danish ... (not sure about the name)

Art of

Prague

BIB

Thank you. I like the idea of European school of ballet especially. Wonder what experiences people have of that. 

9 minutes ago, OnTheMove said:

Thank you. I like the idea of European school of ballet especially. Wonder what experiences people have of that. 

I’ve heard really good things. My DD wasn’t able to go the year she was offered but I’ve seen on social media British students getting offered 3-month internships off the back of their summer intensives.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I’ve heard really good things. My DD wasn’t able to go the year she was offered but I’ve seen on social media British students getting offered 3-month internships off the back of their summer intensives.

That’s great to hear. My dc couldn’t go this year but it’s something worth applying for next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

That’s good although that is the limit that they can spend there so not very useful if you are still at school ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kerfuffle said:

That’s good although that is the limit that they can spend there so not very useful if you are still at school ! 

Definitely. I always did wonder who can actually take up these places if you’re from the U.K. and in full time education. Perhaps it is easier for home schooled students.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheMove said:

I think you'll find some if you do a forum search.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Definitely. I always did wonder who can actually take up these places if you’re from the U.K. and in full time education. Perhaps it is easier for home schooled students.

I think quite often they are graduates of upper  schools so older ? 

My DD never liked UK summer schools except Malvern during Easter in her primary age.

As a senior student, she loved Ellison, Alvin Ailey, Prague, ABT, Chicago and San Diego. Ellison being the most challenging and so worth it.
Portugal - in Leiria - Annarella Sanchez is worth it too (only the summer not the year program).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

My DD never liked UK summer schools except Malvern during Easter in her primary age.

As a senior student, she loved Ellison, Alvin Ailey, Prague, ABT, Chicago and San Diego. Ellison being the most challenging and so worth it.
Portugal - in Leiria - Annarella Sanchez is worth it too (only the summer not the year program).

Does Ellison have accommodation that they provide for SI students do you know?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

Yes they do! My DD has been to Ellison SI and thoroughly loved the challenge and training environment. We didn't use the accommodation so I wouldn't be able to give you a review on that. 

@expatballetmomthankyou that’s great to hear.
My son is Y9 and wants to apply for the Ellison SI for next summer. It is also on his list for Upper Schools. There is a boy in US that started there in September who he knew from a Russian based ballet school and he loves it.

The school looks amazing so the SI will hopefully inform his choices for US.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

My DD did not want to stay in the accomodation and opted to stay with homestay in Queens. She commuted daily (40 mins) by metro. She had both worlds...ballet during the day and evenings exploring NY, she went to NY Yankees game, Capezio and Yumiko stores 🙂 Liberty Island, Carlos Bakery for cakes...you name it. The blend with locals was best option for her. The family was lovely, they treated her as one of their own, the mum cooked meals, evenings under the stars in the garden watching cinema screen. Sge had best time of her life in NY.

• Like 3

On 15/03/2023 at 14:24, FlexyNexy said:

This sounds fantastic but a dream financially for my family. 

I could send my dc to one next year maybe. 

I’ve never heard of Ellison. I will look into it. I’m veering towards EBS. 

What did you find the benefit of going to the USA was in particular? 

16 hours ago, OnTheMove said:

This sounds fantastic but a dream financially for my family. 

I could send my dc to one next year maybe. 

I’ve never heard of Ellison. I will look into it. I’m veering towards EBS. 

What did you find the benefit of going to the USA was in particular? 

With regards to finances, I had second job for almost 5 years to support all this ballet madness. Straight from finishing my 9 - 5pm I took a bus and 6pm started my evening job till 9pm. All that for 5 years and glad is all gone behind me. 
She did not fly 1st class or direct by Virgin Atlantic...she took 2 stop overs to get to NY, home stay is considerably much cheaper option where airport pick up, 3 meals and private room costed me for 1-month USD700. Metro card was I think USD 20 per week. I made sure I find homestay close to the metro station.

As for benefits, the SI in States are much more intense, all on pointe, partnering classes and great variety of extra classes such as Broadway jazz and very little breaks. She did walk out from ENB (both spring and summer intensives) same as RB (Covent Garden) as being boring. She compared them to a day dance camp. Traveling overseas for SI opened her eyes where she stands in the ballet competition. There are few cheaper options in Europe, one I have mentioned was Portugal.

So, by me working all those hours so she can pursue her dream, I made dam sure I don’t pay someone just for the fancy summer school T shirt and name.

One another I would recommend but not sure that is now, post covid, happening is SI in Cuba with Carlos Acosta and his Acosta Danza It was cheaper last cost was USD 1,200 for 4 weeks including accommodation in close by hotel. https://acostadanzasummerschool.com/

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

With regards to finances, I had second job for almost 5 years to support all this ballet madness. Straight from finishing my 9 - 5pm I took a bus and 6pm started my evening job till 9pm. All that for 5 years and glad is all gone behind me. 
She did not fly 1st class or direct by Virgin Atlantic...she took 2 stop overs to get to NY, home stay is considerably much cheaper option where airport pick up, 3 meals and private room costed me for 1-month USD700. Metro card was I think USD 20 per week. I made sure I find homestay close to the metro station.

As for benefits, the SI in States are much more intense, all on pointe, partnering classes and great variety of extra classes such as Broadway jazz and very little breaks. She did walk out from ENB (both spring and summer intensives) same as RB (Covent Garden) as being boring. She compared them to a day dance camp. Traveling overseas for SI opened her eyes where she stands in the ballet competition. There are few cheaper options in Europe, one I have mentioned was Portugal.

So, by me working all those hours so she can pursue her dream, I made dam sure I don’t pay someone just for the fancy summer school T shirt and name.

One another I would recommend but not sure that is now, post covid, happening is SI in Cuba with Carlos Acosta and his Acosta Danza It was cheaper last cost was USD 1,200 for 4 weeks including accommodation in close by hotel. https://acostadanzasummerschool.com/

Well done for managing to afford it with an extra job. Sadly, that isn’t an option for all families.

It’s interesting that the homestay is much cheaper so definitely worth looking into. Thanks. 

I am surprised your daughter didn’t enjoy ENB and RBS. I know a lot of Americans come over to experience them. My dc has made friends with many. I suppose expectations come into it. 

That’s very reasonable the Acosta Danza course. I will look into that. Thanks. 

It would be very exciting for my dc to experience a SI abroad. 

• Like 1

I think they're absolutely worth it, even if you don't continue with ballet beyond that point they're an incredible experience and absolutely life changing. 

As to which ones are the best, it depends what your ambitions are and what you want from the experience. If you want to be seen, then think about who you want to be seen by. If your ambition is ABT, don't go for the Paris Opera summer school for example! If you're just going for the experience, look at what else the school is offering. Some offer extra activities, others don't. Some offer accomodation, for others you have to find your own. Summer schools both in the UK and abroad are a great way to get a feel for a school if you're thinking about full time training there. 

Years ago I did the summer school at Princess Grace Academy for a month and ended up being offered a place on the full time course so it was obviously very much worth it for me!

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
On 15/03/2023 at 14:24, FlexyNexy said:

Hi there.  I know this topic is from a few months ago, but my daughter is considering summer intensives and upper schools in the USA and we were looking at San Diego as an option.  Did your daughter learn a lot in that one?  My daughter will be just coming up to her Upper School auditions and would like to dance professionally in future.  She chose San Diego as we have family and friends there, so we could turn it into a holiday as well.  We'd be happy to look at any other USA based intensives as well so open to further recommendations.  

12 minutes ago, squaretoes said:

Hi there.  I know this topic is from a few months ago, but my daughter is considering summer intensives and upper schools in the USA and we were looking at San Diego as an option.  Did your daughter learn a lot in that one?  My daughter will be just coming up to her Upper School auditions and would like to dance professionally in future.  She chose San Diego as we have family and friends there, so we could turn it into a holiday as well.  We'd be happy to look at any other USA based intensives as well so open to further recommendations.  

Hi! If you’re looking at USA for full time, I have heard Miami City and Houston Ballet School often makes year-round offers to SI students. I also know of a full time offer to an international student at ABT JKO from this year’s SI. The Harid Conservatory in FL is also one to look at. I know they’ve made offers to internationals recently. 

• Thanks 1