At the end of a performance of Giselle in Seoul, Korea (where half of POB is on tour)), Director of Dance José Martinez has announced that sujet Guillaume Diop, who had just danced Albrecht opposite Dorothée Gilbert, Is nominated étoile.

Three in 10 days wowzas that's a bit speedy.

Diop is a beautiful dancer who has been regarded by many as étoile in waiting - he has already danced Romeo, Basilio, Solid and now Albrecht, just in the last two years.

Unlike Germain Louvet he has not even achieved the rank of premier danseur, having only been promoted sujet at the 2022 promotion competition. Louvet was nominated after being promoted but before the new year when the promotion would have taken effect.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Solid

Solor of course. Stupid autocorrect.

2 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Awesome. And he is only 23.

I just worked out that of the current male étoiles, apart from Mathieu Ganio (20) and Mathias Heymann (21), 23 is the "correct" age for nomination: Germain Louvet, Hugo Marchand, Paul Marque, and now Guillaume Diop. Marc Moreau (36) entered the company in 2004, when Diop was four 😂

• Like 3

I'm so lucky to have watched him being nominated on the stage in Seoul. No one had expected this and I think the audience was as excited and surprised as he was. Watching him dancing, I had no doubts he would make it to etoile someday. A great dancer with a huge presence. He also jumped entrechat for 32 times. But I had no idea it would happen that day right there considering he had just been promoted to sujet, he was a substitute for Hugo Marchant and they were on tour. Apparently Jose Martinez pretended to go back to Paris the day before posting a picture of an airplane for this surprise event. The performance itself was absolutely breathtaking but on top of that seeing a new star being born, truly an unforgettable experience

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ehrenfelder said:

I'm so lucky to have watched him being nominated on the stage in Seoul. No one had expected this and I think the audience was as excited and surprised as he was. Watching him dancing, I had no doubts he would make it to etoile someday. A great dancer with a huge presence. He also jumped entrechat for 32 times. But I had no idea it would happen that day right there considering he had just been promoted to sujet, he was a substitute for Hugo Marchant and they were on tour. Apparently Jose Martinez pretended to go back to Paris the day before posting a picture of an airplane for this surprise event. The performance itself was absolutely breathtaking but on top of that seeing a new star being born, truly an unforgettable experience

What a great experience!! Thanks for the report. I hope to see him perform someday.❤️

• Like 2