Ein Sommernachtsstraum A Midsummer Night’s Dream Bayerische Staatsballett Tues 14 th February Munich

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

by Mandy Kent

My Valentine’s Night’s Dream came true… I managed to book a front row seat for the evening performance on Feb 14th at the Bayerische Staatsballett in Munich. 

My main reason for attending , truth be told, is that I am an ardent fan of Shale Wagman, currently a First Soloist at the Staatsballett and showing a great deal of promise in his career within this company.

Tonight, Wagman was dancing the role of Puck: mischievous, exuberant and funny, a role he danced with verve and virtuosity.

In a previous performance he had danced Lysander.

The choreography is by John Neumeier…and whilst classical, it is very different from the Ashton version danced by the Royal Ballet in the UK . 

The score by Mendelssohn is interspersed with very pleasant , more modern hypnotic music by Ligeti which the fairy sprites danced to, adding to the mystery  and atmosphere of The Dream. 

The Mendelssohn was played by the Bayerische Staatsorchester , under the musical director Michael Schmidtsdorff, some of the other music was recorded.

Classic fairy tutus are not seen… the fairies wore unitards in white shiny Lycra, the Fairy King and Queen differentiated by silver sparkling caps . The various courtiers and aristocrats were conventionally attired.

The story begins with Hippolyta asleep on her chaise longue , a single long-stemmed fragrant red rose in her hand , dreaming of her forthcoming marriage to Theseus. Madison Young as both Hippolyta and Titania has a regal yet understated , very feminine presence, her playfulness only coming through in her scene with Bottom , here called Zettel ( Robin Strona … hilariously donkey-like) when in Ass’s form . The way she played with his Ass’s ears was hilarious .

Jinhao Zhang as Theseus and Oberon had a stately authority tinged with the mischief which he shares with Puck.

In the initial court scenes, Wagman’s quiet presence as Philostrat , Master of Ceremonies did not prepare us for his transformation into the naughty ,scene-stealing sprite Puck.

His sheer ballon and athleticism were astonishing and his acrobatics resembled an India-rubber man. The audience were entranced.

The young lovers Lysander and Hermia were danced with lively characterisation by Raphael Vedra and Carolina Bastos , whilst the  handsome moustachioed officer Demetrius (Ariel Merkuri ) was very entertaining as he spurned the advances of desperate spec -y Helena ( a very witty performance by Bianca Teixeira )…excellent partnering and acting throughout .  

And then …the amusement that can be found from a pair of spectacles… mislaid by Helena causing her myopic confusion, and borrowed by Puck with much hilarity as he floundered around the stage… muddling up which lover belonged to which partner and sprinkling the magical love-inducing rose nectar with abandon into the incorrect recipients eyes ! 

This clever storytelling worked so well.. accounting for the bizarre disjointed happenings in the Dream. 

But let’s not forget the Mechanicals . I have mentioned Bottom, but all of the conga-line of simple artisans were beautifully portrayed by various soloists , accompanied by a hurdy -gurdy machine…and the tale within a tale of Piramus and Thisbe was gloriously enacted. Three cheers for the Non-Frightening Lion! grrr / miaow …

It’s hard to top the gorgeous wedding pdd between Theseus and Hippolyta…however the final flourish of the rose by Wagman back in his green tail coat as Philostrat made you wonder where the real story ended …and the Dream began . 

With gratitude to : 

Shale Wagman

Staatsballett Munich

Lufthansa Airlines

And my dear friend Sabine

Edited by Mandy Kent
Name change
  • Like 13

A short but very sweet stay in Munich, finally reunited with Mandy Kent after almost 4 years! Back then, we were in St. Petersburg, watching Shale Wagman in La Sylphide with the Mariinsky Ballet. Who knows when a trip to this beautiful theatre will be possible again...we agreed last night that it is always good to take changes, as long as you can. As it was the case yesterday again.

Great review Mandy! I fully agree with it and will add just some things.

I too loved the very elegant moves in The Dream, and the very sparse decoration (by the amazing legendary Jürgen Rose): greenish sparkling, illuminated trees, (sometimes the fairies were hiding in), and the foggy floor added to the fairyworld illusion in a beautiful way.

As for the actual reason for our travels to Munich: OMG. Shale Wagman was phenomenal. He owns this Puck character, not only for the brilliant dancing with his amazing flexibility and high jumps, but for the mischevious acting as well. Every detail, from rolling his eyes when annoyed, being scared of Oberon, struggling with the sudden blurry view through glasses, feeling confused when he mixed the couples who were supposed to fall in love, to the innocent joy as this hobgoblin it's just so much FUN to watch. And the nice natural amount of black curls on Shale's head added enormously to the mischevious and cute appearance of Puck. 

I too loved the PDD's between Madison Young and Jinhao Zhang!! 

Overall, you could see the fun the dancers had onstage. Raphael Vedra had his debut as Lysander, alongside the beautiful Carollina Bastos (partnering Shale Wagman in Rubies Solo couple, next performance is on March 3rd, btw).

THANK YOU Bayerisches Staatsballett, and Mr. Puck in particular 😀, for a fun Valentine's night.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sounds like you two had a great time! 
And Shale must appreciate you both travelling the distances to see him! 

I tend to go as often as possible to Munich. It's in my country, and as long as he is here...I don't have to travel very far! St. Petersburg made me "pray" that he would not stay there. 😉

• Like 4

Well it’s over 300 miles!! That would just about put me up in Scotland in the UK!! Quite a trek!! 
The only problem with St Petersburg was the pfaff of getting a Russian visa! 
However I haven’t travelled abroad since Brexit so have no idea how difficult it would be to get a visa just for Germany these days!! Was it a pfaff Mandy? 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:just for Germany these days!! Was it a pfaff Mandy? 

No visa requirement Lin, just took my UK passport and travelled with Lufthansa at very civilised time of day from Heathrow. And despite the fog induced delays… well worth any slight pfaff involved 

• Like 1

But do be aware that to travel into Europe now that the UK is a 'Third Country,' and regardless of your passport's Expiry Date, you will not be permitted to travel if its Issue Date is more than 10 years ago.  A friend's weekend plans in Austria unravelled at the gate over exactly this last Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

But do be aware that to travel into Europe now that the UK is a 'Third Country,' and regardless of your passport's Expiry Date, you will not be permitted to travel if its Issue Date is more than 10 years ago.  A friend's weekend plans in Austria unravelled at the gate over exactly this last Friday.

Passport expires for Germans (older than 24 years old) after 10 years. What about the UK?

Edited by Sabine0308

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

I thought that a passport’s maximum duration in the UK is 10 years? Perhaps your friend presented an expired passport without realising it? 

If you renew in the months before your current passport expires, the remaining term is added to the new 10 years. eg Mine was issued in September and expires 10 years and 3 months later in December. 

• Thanks 1

Sim:  PeterS has it right and my friend's passport expires some 6-7 months after the 10-year Issue anniversary.  That said, he got away with it a month or so back for another visit, so maybe much depends on the awareness of the person on the departure gate!

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/eu-passport-renewal-expiry-rules-uk-aRaVG6j5PpyJ

• Like 1

No VISAs needed for UK in EU … but your passport does get stamped in and out, which is rather a fun record of places you have been.   However if you travel a lot (I intend to before I get too old) then the 10 page passport is going to need replacing before it expires!

• Like 1

Getting back to the Dream, I no longer live in the UK, but I recall the Paris Opera Ballet visiting London c1983. They performed Neumeier’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. Just as Mandy had a wonderful time seeing Shale Wagman perform Puck, those POB performances at Covent Garden enabled me to see Patrick Dupond dance Puck. What a dancer! Great memories 40 years on. This was before Eurostar led to Paris being an easier destination to access. 

I have followed the Forum for ages without commenting, but Mandy’s review finally encouraged me to comment.
Great dance performances remain wonderful memories.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, EmilyKaye said:

Getting back to the Dream, I no longer live in the UK, but I recall the Paris Opera Ballet visiting London c1983. They performed Neumeier’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. Just as Mandy had a wonderful time seeing Shale Wagman perform Puck, those POB performances at Covent Garden enabled me to see Patrick Dupond dance Puck. What a dancer! Great memories 40 years on. This was before Eurostar led to Paris being an easier destination to access. 

I have followed the Forum for ages without commenting, but Mandy’s review finally encouraged me to comment.

Welcome out of the lurking shadows, Emily!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EmilyKaye said:

I’m so glad that I inspired you Emily. And thank you for your recollections of  Patrick Dupond 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mandy Kent and Sabine0308, thank you for your report on Neumeier's Midsummer Night's Dream!  I saw it danced by the Hamburg Ballet in San Francisco (Alina Cojocaru danced but the entire cast was superb) in 2014 and found it fascinating.  You've convinced me to book a trip to Munich (a city I fell in love with many years ago) for next year to see Shale Wagman and the Bayerisches Staatsballett. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Josette said:

Mandy Kent and Sabine0308, thank you for your report on Neumeier's Midsummer Night's Dream!  I saw it danced by the Hamburg Ballet in San Francisco (Alina Cojocaru danced but the entire cast was superb) in 2014 and found it fascinating.  You've convinced me to book a trip to Munich (a city I fell in love with many years ago) for next year to see Shale Wagman and the Bayerisches Staatsballett. 

My pleasure 

see you there next time !! 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 22:09, Josette said:

You're welcome and hope to see you there! In any case, I'm sure you will have a great time in the beautiful opera house and City.

• Like 1

I saw this production for the first time in June last year (was supposed to be Shale as Puck but he pulled out for family reasons) .  

It’s fabulous and I would highly recommend it.  Clever use of minimal sets makes for an uncluttered stage and lots of space for super choreo and dancing.  The familiar Mendelssohn score is used for the lovers and Hippolyta/Theseus, an electronic score for the fairies (all wearing silvery bodysuits) and hand-organ for the mechanicals.  

It’s an excellent full length interpretation and faithful to the play.  I prefer it to Ashton’s cut down version because we get the dual role dynamics of Hippolyta/Titania and Theseus/Oberon and how their love develops because of the dream.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1