Ballet Black - Say It Loud, Black Sun - The Lowry - 1st December 2022

I saw Ballet Black's 20th Anniversary Programme at The Lowry last night and what an exhilarating evening it was!

As the Quays auditorium filled (the smaller performance space at The Lowry) a palpable air of anticipation and excitement was building up.

The first item on the programme was Say It Loud which was developed by the whole company to celebrate the anniversary.  It was mostly balletic in style and consisted of a number of sections both lyrical and more edgy.  Somehow you just got drawn into the performance and didn't want it to end.  It was an excellent start to the celebration.

After the interval we were treated to Gregory Maqoma's Black Sun which was not hugely balletic in style but was very energetic and utterly magnificent.  Mthuthuzeli November performed African-style chanting while dancing and I just couldn't take my eyes off him.  He is a world-class superstar and we are so lucky to be able to enjoy his performances on the British Stage.  

The whole company performed with their hearts throughout and were utterly magnificent.  They got a very well deserved standing ovation.

It was a little bittersweet because tonight marks the retirement of the luminous Cira Robinson as she moves on to the next phase of her career as AD of the Yorkshire Ballet Seminars.

The programme has some wonderful photographs reminding us of productions over the last 20 years.  I only got to see them when they first started touring out of London and as far as I am concerned the company is unmissable.

Long live Ballet Black!

• Like 8

I interviewed Cassa Pancho way back in the day when BB was a fledgling company.  She was worried about its funding and whether she could sustain the company.  Her ideal scenario was that one day BB would not be required...but I am so happy to see this lovely company not only survive, but thrive.  Bravo to them all, and to all their supporters.  

• Like 7