Ballet audition photos (some useful advice).

NotadanceMa

Hello all

Just a quick bit of info for all those deliberations and discussions and those yet to deliberate about professional photos for intensives etc

Below is a screw grab from Emma Northmore and RBS guidelines for photos. 

Personally We have never used professional photos, just camera phone in our lounge, one year school hall with help from dance teacher. My child has been successful for every intensive they have applied for from Y6 now Y10. It really isn’t about the photo. And some of the photos we have submitted have been horrendous 😁

8149A935-23FF-4C52-B51E-6DA718DEB251.jpeg

• Like 5

I've never had professional ones either! Always been successful. Ours are done in the kitchen as we have a large white wall to use!

My dd now seems to know what oet of things they are looking for in the photo, so gives them a yes or delete 🤣

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 3

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Ballet audition photos (some useful advice).

I totally agree with above! Get your teacher to do them in the dance studio! She knows what they’re looking for too and probs cheaper! I don’t even charge my students for photos or time I’m more than happy to do them!

Save your money for when they really need a studio photographer to do them properly for job auditions as these generally need to be done every six months so that starts to get expensive! 🤣

• Like 3

I’ve never used a photographer for DD’s photos for lower schools/intensives (it’s just been me, an iPhone, some gaffer tape and a white sheet) but must admit we’ve gone to a professional for upper school admissions. For us, one less stress in a stressful year and no cries of ‘Mummm, you’re SUCH a bad photographer’ ‘you’ve made my legs look stumpy’ etc etc.

• Like 4

We have never used any professional ones, just from teacher…but I have to say I think they always look lovely when we have seen our friends. I guess it also makes it a special thing to do as part of the process if you can afford it. 

Out of interest, when you say it isn’t about the photo, do you mean, whether the photo is professional or not or the actual photos themselves.
As if the application isn’t about the photos then what is it about? Just was interested in that suggestion….

40 minutes ago, Millicent said:

RBS say that they make decisions based on the auditions and not the photos. The photos are just an aide-memoir if considering a dancer after the audition. No decisions are based on the photos except for summer/spring intensives.

Photos are used for initial screening at Tring and also as part of the digital first round at Elmhurst.