Royal Ballet School performances

The Royal Ballet School are currently performing at Opera Holland Park.  For the Upper School this includes Raymonda Act 3, Neumeier's Yondering, some student choreography and Ashton's Swan Lake waltz for 12. It seems likely that some of these will feature in the main stage performance on the 16th. It's quite odd seeing the pieces in daylight - the stage lighting doesn't make much of an impression, and I think the Wayne McGregor piece came off worst for this.  Looking forward to seeing the dancers perform with live music at the ROH. 

The venue has been updated, but not, it seems, for the better. It looks like they have searched every second-hand shop in London for chairs, mainly dining chairs with hard backs. It was a remarkably uncomfortable experience.  All the dogs of London seemed to be right outside and engaged in a barking competition, but nevertheless it it's still a lovely place to be on a summer's evening and the performance was very enjoyable. 

The programme gives some details of graduate contract, but just numbers, not names - five to the RB Aud Jebsen scheme, five to BRB Junior Company, and others (no numbers) to ABT Studio company, Boston Ballet II, Dutch National Ballet Junior Company, Norwegian National Ballet 2, Ballet am Rhein Dusseldorf, The Sarasota Ballet, Scottish Ballet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Where were you sat and does the orchestra get in the way of people on the rear part of the stage?

No orchestra. A long apron extending from the stage into the auditorium results in even the front rows being a long way from the dancers and feet partially obscured. Neither was the case previously.

The discomfort levels are high unless you are lucky enough to get an easy chair with a comfortable back.

All of which is a pity because the student show itself is very enjoyable, albeit with (in my view) too much of a nod to the modern end of the spectrum.

[I originally wrote something in the Doing Dance section.]

• Thanks 1