Summer Intensives that fit British School Schedule

expatballetmom

Hi-

Expat ballet mom moving from U.S. to England this summer. My daughter is a vocational ballet student and has participated in a number of summer intensives ABT and SAB in the states but they usually happen a bit earlier beginning end of June-end of July. I wonder which summer intensives do British ballet students tend to apply for (other than RBS) that happen later in the summer? Are there other popular ones in Europe that suit the UK school schedule? (Thinking ahead for next summer!) 

Related question is- do British ballet students tend to do homeschool?

Thank you for any advice you may have!

RBS

Yorkshire Ballet Seminars

Malvern Ballet Seminars

Elmhurst Ballet School

National Youth Ballet

Moorlands Ballet 

Academy of Northern Ballet (Leeds)

My daughter has done the first 3 all of which are mostly in holiday time.

In terms of home schooling.....not really, though I know a couple who do. But my Dd is at vocational school

Edited by sunrise81

Hi @expatballetmom I know of home schooled kids, they dance with my DD who trains after school every day (Russian not RAD - so it is a possible choice. 

The ENBS summer intensive is another option if your daughter is over 14. It’s non residential but has people from overseas and also vocational schools here. My daughter had a great time there last summer! 

• Like 1

Here is my view of some of the common routes that ballet students take in the UK.

One route for vocational students in the UK is to go to one of the full time vocational schools such as Royal Ballet School, Elmhurst, Hammond, Tring or Moorlands.  These take students from the age of 11 and most students board.  They are fee-paying schools but most have some sort of funding support (although I'm not sure how it works if you haven't been domiciled in the UK)

Many other ballet students train with excellent local teachers close to their homes until they are 16, often supported by 'Associate' schemes which usually offer weekend classes.  I think all of the schools I mentioned above have an associate scheme, and there are others (eg Norther Ballet, Central School of Ballet) These students generally go to an ordinary school for their academic education and have to juggle school, ballet and travel.  Some home school but that is the exception rather than the rule.  If you go down this route, finding an excellent local ballet teacher is paramount.  There is lots of experience on this forum and I'm sure people will be able to give you suggestions if you want to share your location.

At the age of 16 most serious ballet students in the UK will be looking to go into full time ballet training.  The schools listed above offer training at this level, but there are others - Central School of Ballet, English National Ballet School, Northern Ballet School, Rambert etc.  Some of these give the student the opportunity to continue their academic eduction, but others don't.

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the UK.

• Like 2

RBS students attend all manner of summer intensives around the UK (and abroad) … I assume it does depend upon funds available.  Some summer schools have scholarships to help.  

in addition to the more well-known ones mentioned above I know of these two … and that RBS pupils have attended both

- Masters of Ballet Academy in London … this year they have Denis Matvienko as guest teacher 

https://www.mastersofballetacademy.com/courses.php?course=7

- Bristol Russian Ballet School … who have ex-Mariinsky dancer Anastasia Demidova Parish (wife of Xander Parish) teaching

https://bristolrussianballet.com/summer-intensive/

Edited by FionaE
Add links
  • Like 2

FWIW, Scottish schools take the summer break rather earlier than English (and presumably Welsh/Northern Irish) ones do.  Whether that has any effect on any intensives north of the border I don't know.

• Like 1