National Dance Awards (for 2021)

8 minutes ago, emmarose said:

On another note, did anyone see Nela's acceptance speech?

She dedicated her award to her cat Romeo, it was both funny and cute.

I was there so I saw her speech.

She dedicated her award to a number of people, including her parents and her life partner, before finishing up with Romeo.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I was there so I saw her speech.

She dedicated her award to a number of people, including her parents and her life partner, before finishing up with Romeo.

Yes, I didn't mean to leave anybody out, just thought it was a very cute moment.

There's a video on her Insta for anyone who hasn't seen or wants to.

• Like 1

One lovely moment from the ceremony that is worth recording here is when Sir Matthew Bourne received the award for Best Modern Choreography for The Midnight Bell, he reminded everyone that the credit in the programme is Matthew Bourne and Company, so he invited the dancers to join him on stage!

• Like 7

I find it a bit odd that here we are half way through June with an awards ceremony for 2021....why such a long wait for these? Does it really take  6 months to arrange a shindig? Afterall, being pretty much based on performances then the judges surely knew their winners not long after December closed the year! 

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I find it a bit odd that here we are half way through June with an awards ceremony for 2021....why such a long wait for these? Does it really take  6 months to arrange a shindig? Afterall, being pretty much based on performances then the judges surely knew their winners not long after December closed the year! 

The awards are usually earlier in the year.

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Actually “the judges” didn’t. 

The members of the dance section of the Critics Circle (I believe there are 60 of them) have a period after the end of the qualifying year to submit recommendations. From that come the shortlists and then all members vote for the winner in each category.  All that takes a bit of time, bearing in mind that those involved in the process also have a “day job”.

The timing of the ceremony also needs to take into account the ability of nominees to attend.

Before the pandemic the qualifying period was September to August with the awards the following February.  The 2020 qualifying period was extended to December due to the prevailing circumstances. Following that, the qualifying period is now January to December.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2