RBS Associates Workshop

Neverdancedjustamum

Hi, I’m a first time Associates mum and was wondering if anyone else is going to the MA workshop in Birmingham on Sunday? Not familiar at all with Birmingham, the handful of times I’ve had to go there for work I’ve gotten lost every single time (once spent a good 10 minutes walking around one of the main train stations being failed by my iPhone maps before swallowing my pride and mustering the courage to ask someone for directions). Is Nicholson fairly easy to walk to and find from Moor Street Station or are we better off taking a taxi? How many DCs usually show up to these workshops? I think this is the first time they’re holding it in Birmingham, which I admit I was quite gutted about because I am personally quite lazy travelling far for anything. I’ve roped in my (non-dancing) DS to keep me company while DD is at her workshop - it’s going to be a long wait! Any tips on where to spend a few hours in Birmingham? 

21 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Hi, I’m a first time Associates mum and was wondering if anyone else is going to the MA workshop in Birmingham on Sunday? Not familiar at all with Birmingham, the handful of times I’ve had to go there for work I’ve gotten lost every single time (once spent a good 10 minutes walking around one of the main train stations being failed by my iPhone maps before swallowing my pride and mustering the courage to ask someone for directions). Is Nicholson fairly easy to walk to and find from Moor Street Station or are we better off taking a taxi? How many DCs usually show up to these workshops? I think this is the first time they’re holding it in Birmingham, which I admit I was quite gutted about because I am personally quite lazy travelling far for anything. I’ve roped in my (non-dancing) DS to keep me company while DD is at her workshop - it’s going to be a long wait! Any tips on where to spend a few hours in Birmingham? 

I can’t help with the associates query, but when I was in Birmingham a few weeks ago I found a wildlife sanctuary in Edgbaston, not far from City Centre.  There is a very nice Costa just up the road aswell.

I was just about to warn of the road closures... we almost missed an entire class stuck in traffic coming from town! Definitely better to walk.

It's almost the opposite end of the city but the roof top garden at Birmingham Library is a nice spot to while away a bit of time. Have a lovely day 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Elz said:

Be aware of the £8 congestion charge if you drive into Bham. Personally, I hate driving in Bham city centre. Depending in where you are coming from, try and get a train or tram in from a suburb. 

I'm pretty certain that most cars are exempt from the clear air charge? But yes driving in Birmingham isn't the best!

Thanks so much everyone! I’m literally taking note of the suggestions on my phone and will try and work our way through them tomorrow. We have pretty much the whole day. We are taking the train in (v early start for us) then walking to Nicholson to drop off DD. My DS (15yo) would love all the suggestions above although Cadbury World is something my DD would love more. DS and I have always loved aquariums from when he was a toddler so that may well be top of our to-do list. I now need to Google how to get to these places from the City centre. No doubt I’ll get lost again (my history has proven this time and time again) but my DS has great navigation skills and only needs to go to a place once to remember directions to it again. 

• Like 1

If you are coming into Moor Street and want some refreshments the Millennium Lounge there is fab.

The Sea Life Aquarium is near Symphony Hall (but on the other side of the canal) if that is any help.  I would allow a good 20 minutes to walk there.  One way to walk would be along the canal network.

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

If you are coming into Moor Street and want some refreshments the Millennium Lounge there is fab.

The Sea Life Aquarium is near Symphony Hall (but on the other side of the canal) if that is any help.  I would allow a good 20 minutes to walk there.  One way to walk would be along the canal network.

Thank you, Jan! I think that’s where we will be arriving actually. All the train stations also confuse me but I just checked out tickets and it is indeed Moor Street. We will check out Millennium Lounge for sure 🙂