Prix de Lausanne - what are they apologising for on Instagram?

10 minutes ago, Medora said:

The official Prix de Lausanne has posted three times apologising for some comments that were made on their account. Does anyone know what this is regarding?

It may be that someone made a comment on Twitter about wanting to see more people of color on the panel. PDL's reply "We too! And we're sorry but statistically ballet doesn't include much variety".  (With thanks to @GWDanceWriter for posting the comment)

Their response was a mistake. Whoever runs their IG account wrote a surprisingly flippant reply without a brain or empathy or both, MAYBE in the aftermath of an exhausting week. Their apology caused the usual s***storm. I often wonder why people put so much negative energy in attacking on social media, instead of having the facts right and make some intelligent comments. Accusing the Prix that they don't accept enough PoC and have a problem with diversity is ridiculous, imo. 

• Like 2

The main person working on the boys contemporary this year was a “person of colour” though I hate writing this. He is a dancer and teacher from New York seems more appropriate ( Armando Braswell) 

However I’m sure there could be some improvement. 
Though it has to be remembered that many nationalities are represented at the Prix so teachers, choreographers and judges  (with the right knowledge of course) should come from all of these countries.
Diversity means not excluding anyone because of their Race or Colour or Nationality. 
It doesn’t have to look exactly the same every year. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I commented on Graham Watts’ Instagram, that Mizuka Ueno, currently principal at Tokyo Ballet and alumni of PDL (gained scholarship at Princess Grace Academy) said on her Instagram that she was offered to be jury this year but could not accept because of the strict regulations of re-entering Japan (2 week quarantine) when she has to dance her last Odette/Odile in 2 weeks. So they did consider having jury members that are not white. 

but anyway the deleted comment was inappropriate. 

• Like 1