Vocational School Pointe Shoes (How many pairs?)

BalletChild

A question for parents with daughters at vocational level.  I know this is different for each individual but just trying to gauge how many pairs of pointe shoes the average vocational school dancer goes through in a year.

Edited by BalletChild
added more specific details

• BalletChild changed the title to Vocational School Pointe Shoes (How many pairs?)

Hi BalletChild. You will find they'll go through quite a few! It does depend on many factors, such as shoe and foot strength. I was so pleased when my dd went into Gaynor Mindens, because they lasted longer - she would usually get about 10 weeks out of one pair. I know other dancers in different shoes who were going through a pair every week, or more often. Usually it is a good idea to have two pairs going at the same time so that they can rotate and air them out to give them a chance to dry out and minimise softening. And do you have jet glue there? dancers put it under their shanks to help them last longer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kanangra said:

Hi BalletChild. You will find they'll go through quite a few! It does depend on many factors, such as shoe and foot strength. I was so pleased when my dd went into Gaynor Mindens, because they lasted longer - she would usually get about 10 weeks out of one pair. I know other dancers in different shoes who were going through a pair every week, or more often. Usually it is a good idea to have two pairs going at the same time so that they can rotate and air them out to give them a chance to dry out and minimise softening. And do you have jet glue there? dancers put it under their shanks to help them last longer. 

Thank you, when she was in associate training / dance classes / monthly training she was easily going through 2x pairs a month (pre Covid).  I have some glue somewhere.  

I guess we have been lucky as my DD's school provided at each start of the year (1 leo, 1 pair of tights, flats and 1 pair of pointe shoes). During the year they used the company "repair shop" where the broken shoes just got fixed. 

She was amazed that dead shoe she brought to the workshop came out like new. Don't ask me what they did to it 😂

My DD had a cultural shock as the way they give out shoes to the students. A lady turned up with huge bag, students lined up and have been asked  for shoes size and thats it. You are given shoe of random brand to dance for a year. 

She could not dance it them as they really felt like they have been made of wood. 

I have then shipped Gaynors to her which lasted long time. Griskho brand just "melted " in the humid environment they danced in so we could not use them. 

1 parlor of Griskho's she brought lasted only a week. 

Gaynors lasted 2 months.  All in all she had 3 Gaynors for a year. They just had to last as no ballet shop in the country and I could not fly there on a whim.  

• Like 1