Sergei Polunin - current dance and other projects

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Fascinating. This is definitely The Year of Dante & Ballet!

indeed … and both the Polunin and Royal Ballet projects were originally planned for 2020.  

And now both being performed much closer to Dante’s actual passing in September 2021, due to the pandemic.  

Divine intervention ? 😉

An interview about Metànoia, Sergei’s Dante project which premieres on Wednesday 1st September 2021

https://www.quotidiano.net/magazine/porto-il-mio-dante-a-danzare-in-purgatorio-1.6741916

(Translation by google)

Published August 29, 2021
"I take my Dante to dance in Purgatory"
Sergei Polunin, superstar of ballet, tries his hand at Ravenna with the Supreme Poet: "I feel that my path resonates with his verses"

by ELISA

"I have always thought of tattooed people as free and creative individuals, who defy bans, and I got several tattoos also because almost no one in the dance world has them".

Countercurrent Sergei Polunin, the most celebrated dance star of the moment. Desecrating, divisive (his best known tattoo is the one on Putin), ballet bad boy. "We are grains of dust suspended between good and evil, the angelic and the demonic - his words -; I believe that the true artist must come into contact with both dimensions, enjoying both the light and the dark".

And his latest work Metànoia, that is radical change, conversion, or the show that Sergei Polunin will bring to the Alighieri Theater in Ravenna from 1st to 5th September in absolute premiere, also deals with obscurity. Too easy to identify the title with the current existential phase of the Ukrainian dancer, formerly maudit on the run from his ghosts, now the proud father of little Mir, world, the child had by Elena Ilinykh, ice skater, and cultural entrepreneur through his Polunin Ink on all fronts, theater, cinema, fashion. He also recently stated that he is deleting his famous tattoos of him. Metamorphosis of pacification.

Of the three Dantesque chants, Polunin perhaps not by chance reserved Purgatorio to music by Gregory Revert; Inferno, on the other hand, is entrusted to his friend Ross Freddie Ray to music by Miroslav Bako and Paradiso to the twins Jiri and Otto Bubenicek to music by Kirill Richter.

When did he meet Dante?

"The Poet is known everywhere, he has a profound global cultural impact, understandable to everyone; however, it was the Ravenna Festival commission, three years ago, that gave me the real boost for my journey into Dante's world; I read the book in English , knowing full well that in Italian it is richer ".

What is the significance of making your debut in the city of Dante's tomb?

"I had not connected Dante to Ravenna so far. As soon as I arrived I saw the poet's tomb with enormous emotion. I traveled a lot in Italy for my shows, but always with little time to visit its beauties; now I would like to take Dante Metànoia to the most important places Dante's Italians, as well as on my international tours.

I care about the ensemble of talented artists gathered by the project, both for music and for video design and mapping, some with whom I had already collaborated, others in my team for the first time . This Dante is a creative platform shared by artists who surprised me with the ideas they were able to bring ".

What attracted him to Purgatory, so much so that he personally signed the act of the "middle world", that of repentance and purification?

"I did not want the too great responsibility of facing Hell or Heaven; I am at the beginning of my choreographic journey; I felt safer with Purgatory, halfway through the show, to give an emotional break, after Hell very colorful and before the brightness of Paradise; my path 'resonates' with Dante's, crosses the circles, with the guidance of Beatrice, that is the voice of Andjela Ninkovic; at the live piano there will be Kemal Gekic and Kirill Richter. team that knows how to listen and plan ".

Did he bring his family to Ravenna too?

"We are all here together: Elena is an extraordinary counselor; Mir follows rehearsals, he loves being in the theater".

In the meantime, his autobiography Free: a Life in Images and Words has been released with the contribution of a master like Albert Watson and the preface by Helen Mirren, who at 13 wanted to enter the Royal Ballet School and who dances with a lot of humor in Checco's Vacinada Zalone; how was this super project born?

"The lockdown simply gave a big hand. I had time to make it happen."

When will his new film Dancer II by Anton Corbijn arrive, the preview of which is already online on Depeche Mode's In your Room?

"For the film, we are at the beginning; as for the rest, there are artists who prefer to concentrate only on the theater; I look for a balance between the proposals that stimulate me. Every time you have to know how to choose the best for yourself".

It is with huge thanks to the Italian health minister, Roberto Speranza, that I (and others from the UK) will be travelling to the premiere on 1 September of Metànoia in Ravenna this week.  Hooray!

He tweeted (is that how news is disseminated now?) on the evening of Saturday 28 August that travellers from the UK no longer need to quarantine from Tuesday 31 August.  You can imagine the frantic activity here to book flights, train, car hire, PCR tests, complete COVID forms, etc

TWEET:

Ho firmato un’ordinanza di proroga delle misure restrittive per arrivi da altri Paesi. Si dispone il superamento della mini quarantena di 5 giorni per chi viene dal Regno Unito nel caso in cui sia stato completato il ciclo vaccinale e contemporaneamente si abbia un test negativo.

A last minute rule change in my favour …. more ‘Divine Intervention’ ? 😉

Sergei and Arlene Phillips will be dance-people featured in this year’s Portrait Artist of the Year

Thank you to Graham Watts for the alert 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSzWvFqI7WS/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sky announcement here https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/portrait-artist-of-the-year-returns-to-sky-arts-on-13-october?fbclid=IwAR0-_xbRW0x3_jESQgwNB9L2KdJi1sgoSDkSOFPAg15lzvIKTmSn17Keu1k

The Palladium has more information … the London premieres of the solos that will be danced live are BOLERO and PARADISO.  Plus his book FREE will be available.

Eye-watering prices for limited edition signed copies of the book and meet&greet opportunity.  Im sure there will be cheaper priced seats for those who are there for the dancing and the conversation.

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/an-evening-of-dance-and-conversation-with-sergei-polunin/#info

BOLERO

choreography Ross Freddie Ray

music : Ravel

scenography : Teun Van Der Zalm

costumes : Dmitry Loginov

Premiered online on 25 May 2021

Created for Merck Russia to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis 

PARADISO

choreography Jiri Bubenicek

music : Kirill Richter

set design : Otto Bubenicek

costume design : not yet known

Premiere on 1 September 2021 at Teatro Alighieri, Ravenna Festival

Created for the 3 part Metànoia … Sergei and his team’s response to the challenge of Dante’s Divine Comedy

• 3 weeks later...

So much going on in my life and in Polunin universe, that I am way behind with updates.

Let’s start with today Friday 17 September .. Sergei is appearing at Wimbledon Bookfest to promote his book ‘Free’.  He will be interviewed by Simon Hattenstone .. so it may well be a rehash of the uncomfortable history … which would be a sad waste of audience time.  In my experience the audience will want to hear about his dance plans.   

https://www.wimbledonbookfest.org/Events/2021SunsetEvents/SergeiPolunin.aspx

Sergei2.jpg

Sergei Polunin

Free: A Life in Images and Words 

In conversation with Simon Hattenstone

Friday 17th September 2021, 5-6pm 

Robert Graves Tent

£20/£22.50

Today Sergei Polunin is known not only as a dancer and creator of his own productions, but also as an actor and artist. This is a unique chance to hear the emotional highs and lows of his journey from his childhood in Ukraine to the global phenomenon he is today.

The early life path of Sergei Polunin was akin to a dancer’s fairy tale. A precocious talent, ballet training in Kiev, admission to the Royal Ballet School in London at 13, first solo performance at the Royal Ballet at 19. At 20, promotion to the youngest ever principal. Then, at 21, a sudden rupture took place: the superstar Polunin moved on. What could have been the end of an incredible career became another beginning. The dancer met new mentors, went to Russia followed by other countries, conquered fresh audiences and new art forms.

Sergei will recount why he quit alcohol and drugs, why he once took steroids, the time he laughed so hard on stage that he forgot the dance steps and what it’s really like to be a dance superstar.

Watch Sergei’s latest electrifying collaboration here: https://poluninink.com

Copies of Sergei Polunin's Free: A life in Images and Words will be on sale.

Free.png

Dame Darcey Bussell and daughter meeting Sergei and getting a free signed copy of his book ‘Free’ at the Wimbledon Bookfest on 17 September 2021.

Really interesting style of interview by journalist Simon Hattenstone.  Simon had himself chosen some photos from the book and asked questions about them.  His selection included photos in RB Nutcracker with Yuhui Choe, an audition photo sent to the RB school, and the split jete one taken in Crimea as a new principal, amongst about 10 in total.  

There are hundreds in the book … how does one choose a few to discuss at an event like this?  

Afterwards Waterstones had pre-signed books to buy which Sergei personalised.  I had brought my own copy along (bought at launch in May 2021) ‘just in case’.   As you can see I got lucky!   The ‘thank you’ is for a question I asked.

C4DDD049-A237-461F-BE20-6D4B39678015.jpeg

F9C7214B-C52F-48B1-BE63-B5B5FCA493F4.jpeg

0DC86AF0-BE75-479B-B4F4-8981C17F58B9.jpeg

Another extraordinary SACRE performance today, 20 September 2021 in Moscow to a sold out audience.

This is one of Sergei’s 2020 performances which has been re-arranged.   Another in his series ‘Up, Close and Personal’ which follow the format :

SACRE, interlude, on stage interview, and sometimes an extra gift performance of TMTC.

This one is an interesting venue with seating close to, and around the stage.  The Svetlanov Hall at the International performing Arts Centre in Moscow of Music is actually a music hall with the biggest concert organ in Russia.
https://www.mmdm.ru/halls/svetlanovskiy-zal

The sound for this performance must have been awesome.

▪️Audience Review from Galina Tarkhanova▪️ 

"Today I realized that my words about Polunin's magic did not mean even a hundredth part of the feeling that I experienced when I saw Sergei on stage.

There the nerve pulsates, the heart is torn in suffering, there is not a dancer, but an Artist filling all space with his energy. 

And you forget to breathe, and images are born in your head, and time is compressed, then to stretch out in wonderful memories and experiences again and again of this miracle - the dance of Sergei Polunin ... "

▪️Source - Galina Tarkhanova Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDXERpguWR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Photos of some SACRE leaps here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDTcNDgsRG/?utm_medium=copy_link

TMTC clip here

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUDja9XAGWZ/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by FionaE
Add information on hall

There are many IG posts about the show in Moscow on Monday 20 September 2021.  

This one from a lady for whom this was her first ballet.  She took an extraordinary photo …

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDnWfCrB1f/?utm_medium=copy_link

And swipe to 4/6 on this post for some lovely adagio and beautiful arms

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDVuZRrZFf/?utm_medium=copy_link

Next … is a gala concert in Serbia to raise funds to support the training of students attending Cranko, Neumeier, and Vienna schools amongst others, as grantees of the Sergei Polunin Foundation.

On the main stage of the Belgrade National Theatre on 28 September 2021.  Socially distanced audience still applies there.  

Sergei will perform his new ballet “Bolero” live.  It is a 17 minute solo …that’s a feat of stamina … with super backdrops and lighting effects.  

The prior year the gala included performances by the students as well as principals of the Serbian National Ballet, …  land Sergei performed TMTC.  

The IG post below announcing the gala is from the manager of the Serbian arm of the Sergei Polunin Foundation.  Zrnka Miskovic is also the executive producer of the new Dante Metànoia shows in Ravenna earlier this month.  She is credited with the concept and libretto and project management.  

Poster for the gala here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUFGGpwsf4x/?utm_medium=copy_link

On 23/09/2021 at 13:58, Scheherezade said:

Like many people on this forum, I have not particularly been following what Polunin has been doing of late but from what you report, Fiona, his foundation would seem to be doing some good work.

Sergei has been supporting the training of students for at least 3 years in Serbia and Russia.  Maybe longer, I am not aware of the details.  I believe some Serbian pupils were the first to benefit.  

He has given a number of grants to young Russian dancers since at least early 2019, including a number that he met through being a judge on the Big/Small Dance TV programme in Russia.  It is hosted by Svetlana Zakharova.  This year Bolshoi principals Vladislav Lantratov and Igor Tsvirko are judges. 

He also gave grants to ~15 young children to attend the new Sevastopol dance academy, of which he is rector.

Here is one very young boy, Matvei Ivanov who was awarded a grant by Sergei in 2019 https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EasUdIqyk/?utm_medium=copy_link

Matvei Ivanov then got to perform with Sergei and PoluninInk team in the Satori tour of Moscow, St Petersburg and other cities in Russia in October 2019.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3wDXc6oRos/?utm_medium=copy_link

The ballerina here is Alla Bocherova, principal of Yakobson Ballet.  She was most likely introduced to Sergei by Johan Kobborg, as he had staged a super Don Quixote for Yakobson Ballet where she was cast as Kitri

The ‘making of’ documentary for the Multiple Sclerosis inspired ‘Bolero’ video is now out.  

I am impressed with the thoughtfulness and sensitivity of all involved … from Sergei and choreographer Ross Freddie Ray especially … but also by the costume designer, the video crew, technical and lighting team.   The finished product is a super quality.  

More info on the Multiple Sclerosis Bolero project from producer and project originator Sergey Borisenko. 

- Do read below to understand more about this amazing project!
- He also tells of a new project!  Super news indeed! 👏👏👏

sergborisenko :
🔷️ Finally we can share with you a small documentary about how the Bolero ballet was created, which was filmed by director Marina Stasenko and cameraman Demid Malyuga
 ⬆️ Link to the documentary in my profile header

🔷️ A few facts about ballet:
 🔷️ The ballet is dedicated to all people in the world who are diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis
 🔷️ The ballet tells about the inner world of a person living with MS
 🔷️ The ballet is staged to the music of Maurice Ravel, which is considered the most frequently performed piece.  According to statistics, Bolero sounds every 15 minutes somewhere in the world.
 🔷️ At the beginning of the ballet, our friends with MS and our team members read Rudyard Kipling's poem "About if" translated by Samuel Marshak, which is considered the most frequently translated literary work from English
 🔷️ The ballet is staged online
 🔷️ The pre-premiere screening of the 6-minute part of the ballet was held on April 12, 2021 at the Baikonur cosmodrome on the day of the 60th anniversary of the first manned flight into space
 🔷️ The premiere of the ballet took place on the Day of the World Combat Against Multiple Sclerosis in May 2021 online and a press conference was held by Vladimir Vladimirovich Pozner
 🔷️ The ballet became possible with the large-scale support of the scientific and technological company Merck
 🔷️ Nikon Russia provided technical support for the filming of the documentary with its wonderful cameras and lenses

🙏 Once again, I thank our inspiring project team from the bottom of my heart !!! 🙏

⬆️ Link to the documentary in my profile header

🔷️ Well, Sergei and me and our wonderful team have another absolutely fabulous project ahead, which, I really hope, we will start at the end of this year

P.S.  You can't even imagine what kind of unique partner Sergey will have in a new project 😜

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUOmOGSqizj/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here’s the link to the full Bolero art video, which includes the poem ‘IF’ by Rudyard Kipling spoken by Russian people with Multiple Sclerosis, beginning with Sergei himself.

Sergei will dance this long solo live at his show at the London Palladium on 15 October … plus also the Paradiso contemporary solo from his Dante Metanoia choreographed by Jiri Bubenicek.  And …. the show includes a Conversation/Q&A section about the book.  

You can buy seats to included signed copies of his book, or the limited edition book (I don’t know what’s different about that 🧐 though clearly more expensive) or just a seat to watch the show, latter are priced at £23.70 - £73.20

Tickets for the Palladium here 

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/an-evening-of-dance-and-conversation-with-sergei-polunin/#info

Catching up with info and reports of the Dante Metànoia shows in Ravenna from 1-5 September 2021

A report from the premiere (Translation by Google):

raisabeicu I came to Ravenna for the premiere of the show Metanoia // Sergei Polunin, which is based on Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy and last night I was still trying to put my feet on the ground again.

Three choreographers, three live musicians, three set designers, three parts: Hell, Paradise and Purgatory.

Last night, Sergei descended into Dante's Inferno, passed through Purgatory and danced the ascent to Paradise.  It was a show with live music, lyrics recited in Italian, surreal effects.  It was a rain on stage that seemed to splash you in the hall and a light of Paradise that blinded each of us.

Sergei is a dance genius and as I always say, he seems to step on the ground just to be able to fly better and better.

I am very grateful that I can see and feel what I saw and felt last night.  That I am contemporary with Sergei Polunin, that I can experience the afterlife in a theater called Dante Alighieri, a few meters from where Dante's tomb is, in a beautiful city in Italy.  That I can cry for too much happiness.  That I can let art transform any Inferno of life into a Purgatory that heals me from time to time until I get to distinguish the particles of Paradise.

Source and a few photos here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTZHEIyjNL0/?utm_medium=copy_link

An interview with Jiri Bubenicek by Graham Watts on the Paradiso section of The Dante Metànoia project which Jiri choreographed.  Otto, his twin brother,  designed the sets and video mapping.  

Super photos of Paradiso in this link too.

https://balletmagazine.ro/de-balet/letters-from-london-by-graham-watts-finding-paradise-with-polunin-jiri-bubenicek-on-choreographing-for-sergei/

A video documenting the book signings and Wimbledon Bookfest interview by Simon Hattenstone.   

I wish this included his actual responses as those are always interesting and revealing of his current thinking.  

• Like 1

There are not many seats remaining available for Friday’s dance and conversation evening with Sergei at the London Palladium. 

Sergei will dance live …

BOLERO 🌌
- choreography and concept by Ross Freddie Ray
- music by Maurice Ravel
- costume by Dmitry Loginov
- lighting by Konstantin Binkin 

PARADISO
- choreography by Jiri Bubenicek
- music by Kirill Richter
- set and video design by Otto Bubenicek

And the conversation section will be hosted by Daniel Lismore, around Sergei’s autobiography FREE

Last remaining tickets here … 
https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/an-evening-of-dance-and-conversation-with-sergei-polunin/

• Like 1

Sergei has had to rely on solo performances during the pandemic … due to the ever changing COVID social distance rehearsing and performing requirements, and of course, complex travel restrictions meaning employing a freelance international team has been nigh impossible.  

The only non-solo shows his company have been able to put on, since before the pandemic, have been Rasputin in Moscow (June 2021) and Budapest (August 2021).   Rasputin requires only 4 dancers in addition to Sergei.  Complications with travel restrictions required last minute cast changes for Budapest.  In the case of Moscow, connections in government departments helped to make exceptions for incoming foreigners. 

This pandemic has been especially hard on freelance performance artists.  Sigh. 

Did anyone here attend the Palladium book launch  ‘dance and conversation’ event?   Or was it just me and over 2,000 other lucky people 🤔 

If not, you missed some tremendous Sergei dancing … he is in really good physical shape and really good ballet form too.  Ross Freddie Ray’s Bolero has lovely adagio and port de bras.  There was a controlled slow pirouette from low second oozing closed to a perfect fifth that I hadn’t noticed before.  Unreal.  Sergei’s contemporary moves in Jiri Bubenick’s Paradiso were performed with more generous range and flowing quality than in Ravenna.

Sergei was charming, humble and expressed his gratefulness for the continued support he is receiving.  The conversation sections were split into two after each of the Bolero and Paradiso pieces.  There were wonderfully amusing anecdotes, including one about Prince Charles.  See video below.

Raucous applause … like a pop concert when Sergei gave the audience a surprise gift of performing Take Me To Church.  

Full house, standing ovation and many books of FREE purchased on the night.  It was a very special show. 

A vlog from the Ballet Twins including the Prince Charles anecdotes …

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The Prince Charles story is a hoot.

The briefings the Royal Family receive would normally tell them such things as Sergei’s country of origin. But believing he is Russian is a very common mistake.

Yes !   Do not disagree with a royal!  Hilarious.   And the way he delivers it 👏👏👏

Of course he is Russian by passport now, but wasn’t at 13.  Only Ukrainian.   Earlier in the conversation he’d talked about having a place at Vaganova school but couldn’t accept it as his family couldn’t afford it (not free to non-Russians).  He added it would have been free if he had converted to a Russian passport.  But of course his family couldn’t afford the cost of doing that either.  

Considering how many interviews there have been over the years, it’s surprising to learn these details only now.  I guess the interviewers haven’t asked the right questions.

A gift from Sergei Polunin.   I urge the naysayers to have a look at this … I hope you can see the quality work here.

It’s his show from beautiful Bánffy Castle in Transilvania this summer … in full and available for 24 hours.  Fabulous solos and an entertaining onstage conversation with the director of the film festival where Sergei was the key guest.  

It’s been impossible for Sergei’s international group of dancers ‘PoluninInk’ to work together during this pandemic, so this show is all solos.  

Running order:

- Intro

- BOLERO, music by Ravel, concept and choreography by Ross Freddie Ray.  This version was made to support Multiple Sclerosis sufferers by depicting their symptoms and resilience.  Look out for the loss of abilities. (This is a relay of  the original video, it was not performed live … as the next solo is 40 minutes, which is a feat of stamina in itself.)

- SACRE, music Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, concept & choreography by Yuka Oishi.  This version is based around Nijinsky’s life.

- conversation.  Listen out for Romeo & Juliet discussion … shortly to be at Royal Albert Hall, plus some explanations of Sacre.  

- extra gift of TAKE ME TO CHURCH.  The audience went bonkers during this .. cheering & hollering at every move, but the video has used a separate soundtrack.  

I was there …. spontaneous standing ovation and deafening applause from the 2000+ audience most of whom who will not have seen him dance before.   

• Like 2

UPDATE … I see Bolero has been removed from the World Ballet Day video, which is also available free on the Transilvania International Film Festival app.   It was there earlier.  

Why, who knows?  It’s a mystery to me, as the Bolero video is freely available on Sergei’s YouTube channel 🤷🏼‍♀️ (it was duplication).

Sergei performed his Bolero ballet with full lighting effects and nebulae video background, on Monday 18th October at an exclusive Russian Gala Dinner held to highlight Russian culture at the new Raffles at The Palm Hotel in Dubai, as part of the Dubai Expo2020

(I’m guessing the Expo was Covid delayed, and not renamed or redated).  

https://russian-gala.com/

There were many close-up clips posted on IG stories of attendees, which you can see in the Sergei fan groups on Facebook.  There were also official cameras, so maybe we will see official footage later.

Here’s an overview video from the organiser, Victoria Lopyreva (TV host, FIFA ambassador, Miss Russia!) where Sergei appears briefly.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVnOtafJQ_2/?utm_medium=copy_link

Some photos here https://www.instagram.com/p/CVihvy0LpFr/?utm_medium=copy_link

Some more photos by professional photographer Ivan Mudrov which were posted by Moscow celebrity hairstylist Eugeny Zubov who is clearly a fan (he posted the longest segments of Bolero)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVR3Tsgsa7A/?utm_medium=copy_link

After performing, Sergei wore his 3-piece suit and shirt, with highly decorative lapel buttons, by Dolce & Gabbana.  This outfit makes regular appearances when he is at his smartest.