Post 16 accommodation funding advice

VSurge

Hi, I’m hoping someone may have some advice for me please?

my DD is 17 and has a Dada which is amazing. The issue is, we can’t afford to send her if we also have to fund the accommodation. It is a diploma course so don’t think it is eligible for student finance. Does anyone know any ways around this please? I’ll feel awful if we have to say she can’t go but ultimately I have other children and am a single parent so just can’t afford it😕

• Like 1

Hi VSurge and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on your dd’s DaDa place! I’m sure someone with more recent knowledge than I will be along soon - in the meantime, have you emailed the school to see what they suggest? 

If you look on the dada chart there are some income brackets where you will get a contribution for living expenses. 
As you move up the income brackets it quickly reduces to nothing at all so accommodation has to be self funded. 
We haven’t found any way round it unfortunately and for this reason my daughter could only apply for degree level courses. 

We do know of someone last year who was offered additional funding directly from the college but I don’t think this is common. 

Edited by oliviaT
  • Like 1

Elmhurst US add school and accommodation fees together and then Dada it. This made it more affordable to us as a middle income earning family. Compared to ENBS where it would have cost us £5000 a year more even with the Dada 😅 
It does all depend on your income and eligibility for the maintenance grants. I would ask the schools finance department and get them to give you a break down. Some schools have internal bursaries/sponsors to help families with costs. Worth asking x

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Elmhurst US add school and accommodation fees together and then Dada it. This made it more affordable to us as a middle income earning family. Compared to ENBS where it would have cost us £5000 a year more even with the Dada 😅 
It does all depend on your income and eligibility for the maintenance grants. I would ask the schools finance department and get them to give you a break down. Some schools have internal bursaries/sponsors to help families with costs. Worth asking x

This is really useful. I will ask them if they do something similar and that would definitely then be affordable x

47 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Hi VSurge and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on your dd’s DaDa place! I’m sure someone with more recent knowledge than I will be along soon - in the meantime, have you emailed the school to see what they suggest? 

I am going to call them Monday but from what her dad said, there was no real suggestions. Although, I suspect he didn’t ask the right questions🙄

• Like 1

Do check if the sliding scale might take into account your other children as I think there may be an ‘allowance’ towards each dependant (ie.  an amount per child taken off the total household income that’s assessed for funding). You may find this could bring you into a lower Band & perhaps offer more? Best of luck 

• Like 1

Definitely do all the things suggested above.  

• Apply for any DADA maintenance allowance you are entitled to
  • Talk to the school and see if they know of any way to help
  • Research whether there are any local funds in your area which might be able to help. 

Also consider that, depending on which school she is going to, your DD may be able take part time work to help support herself.  

As well as working weekends and possibly evenings, working during the holidays can help to build up the funds for term time.

I know that when my dd was at Northern Ballet School (albeit many years ago) she had several friends who did this to fully fund their living expenses.  

There are lots of options as well as the usual shops and cafes option.  My dd worked in the school's theatre.  Call centres can be a good option.  One of dd's other friends supported herself through university working in McDonalds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, glowlight said:

Definitely do all the things suggested above.  

• Apply for any DADA maintenance allowance you are entitled to
  • Talk to the school and see if they know of any way to help
  • Research whether there are any local funds in your area which might be able to help. 

Also consider that, depending on which school she is going to, your DD may be able take part time work to help support herself.  

As well as working weekends and possibly evenings, working during the holidays can help to build up the funds for term time.

I know that when my dd was at Northern Ballet School (albeit many years ago) she had several friends who did this to fully fund their living expenses.  

There are lots of options as well as the usual shops and cafes option.  My dd worked in the school's theatre.  Call centres can be a good option.  One of dd's other friends supported herself through university working in McDonalds.

Some good suggestions. A couple of pupils at NBS also had jobs at the airport. Albeit before recent events 😷. Manchester is certainly geared towards opportunities for part time work. Just trying to find a flexible employer to squeeze shifts it in within the time restraints of the course can be a challenge. 🤞🏼