Instructions for JA Character skirt

Pas de Quatre

As Covid restrictions are easing, it is now highly likely I shall be able to hold my show later this term.  One of the groups is a Tarantella, and I have not seen suitable ready-made red skirts (I have tops and corset belts) so was thinking of making them myself.  In an old JA booklet (1998-9) I have instructions on how to make the offical JA skirt, basically three widths of material gathered.  However, as the material had to be bought from the official supplier Express Dance Supply, it doesn't actually give the width or type of material.  Can anyone help.  I presume the instructions have stayed pretty much the same, but don't have any JAs at present so can't ask a parent.  I suppose I could always ring Express Dance and ask them, but I thought someone here might know!

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add sentence

The 3 widths are 45” each. So depending how long you want you will need length x3 + hem and waistband allowance. JA skirts usually have a half inch hem, then another few inches turned over to allow for growth. The bigger hem gives the skirt a little extra weight allowing it to hang better. 
fabric is a lightweight cotton/polycotton. 

• Like 1

Thank you Dd_dance.  That's a great help.  The instructions I have cover the length and extra hem allowance, it was just the fabric width that wasn't mentioned.  I want the skirts at least knee length so those would be too short Peony, but thanks for your input.  In fact doing the three widths is a very easy way to make the skirts and I will probably have some help!  Just straight seams to join the pieces, fold over at waist and sew with enough room to thread elastic , then fold over and sew hem - all can be done by machine.  I won't bother with fitted waistbands.  Much easier than full circle character skirts!  Also I feel for fast posé turns the gathered skirt gives a better effect than circular which can end up wrapped round the legs or even the waist.

This basic principle appears in an old book Beginning Ballet by Joan Lawson.  Each layer of a romantic tutu is 4 widths gathered at the waist, and I have made several of these over the years. 

• Like 1