U.S Visas

Cantref

Hi

Does anyone have any advise on applying for Visas for the U.S

My daughter has 2 offers for 10 month training places in the U.S from August to the end of May. 
The one company told us to apply for a student visa but from what I can see the company needs to be on the SEVP list to do this, which they are not.

The other company has said to apply for an extended tourist visa. I was worried that this would not be the correct process. Plus the embassy is only dealing with emergency application which does include the M1 student visa but I doubt the tourist visa. 
I have visited the U.S embassy in London website but am still unclear as to what we need to do.

I have contacted a couple of immigration attorneys who want between £200 and £750 just to answer my initial question.

I am happy to pay for support to get her application through but I do not want to waste my money if it is not possible as the companies are not SEVP listed. 
Any advise will be greatly appreciated! 

Both my dc had ballet contracts in the US but we’re unable to go as the US Embassy in London has been closed since last March and isn’t scheduled to open for face to face interview til this August.

There are no ESTA, holiday visas, allowed in at present and I doubt very much you could extend it for the whole season. Also, anyone currently entering the US from the U.K./EU has to quarantine for 2 weeks elsewhere prior to entry.

A performing arts/work visa is a P1. The company should apply for this. Dds petition cost us nearly $1000 before we gave up 😞 It was just a bridge too far. Too many hurdles. 
That’s before Covid vaccines/passports start to play a role in entering too. 
Im happy to answer any questions x

• Like 1

There are lots of Ballet schools on the SEVP list.  If they are a school, they should get on the list if they are accepting international students.  The list is lengthy and includes many small schools of all sorts.  I am confused, are you paying tuition or is this a ballet contract and will be receiving pay? Is there a school associated with the ballet company?

33 minutes ago, MPatti said:

There are lots of Ballet schools on the SEVP list.  If they are a school, they should get on the list if they are accepting international students.  The list is lengthy and includes many small schools of all sorts.  I am confused, are you paying tuition or is this a ballet contract and will be receiving pay? Is there a school associated with the ballet company?

We will have to pay tuition fees. They are 10 month programmes to bridge the gap between training and professional career. They will recruit from the training programme but obviously not guaranteed. 

Cantref it seems if they are taking international students, they need to apply to get on the list from their end.  You may be able to sway them, as Houston Ballet Academy is on the list, ABT JKO, Joffrey, Orlando Ballet, etc. There are many small high schools (Public and private) who take foreign exchange Students who are on the list,  Many small private universities.  So not sure they can get around it if you are paying them tuition. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I believe the US embassy in London is now open for limited face to face visa appointments. 
When you have your petition , this is arranged by the company, then you can go onto the website and see what appointments are available x

Thank you! Was not sure of the process (1st time applicant for USA visa).

2 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

Thank you! Was not sure of the process (1st time applicant for USA visa).

Just to be aware, Ds’s petition/application was paid for by his company and DD’s cost us just under $1000. Then the US embassy charge for the face to face 😞 

2 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Just to be aware, Ds’s petition/application was paid for by his company and DD’s cost us just under $1000. Then the US embassy charge for the face to face 😞 

I feel I only work for ballet! 😐

So upset I can not tell you. 2 trainee offers, 1 Junior Artist offer starting September and October respectively and 1 uncooperative US embassy who scheduled our interview for visa at their earliest appointment for end of March 2022. 

DD all day in tears...can this go any worse for graduates this year? All this hard work and now feeling the emptiness. 

FlexyNexy, I am so sorry that is the case.  I will say in my past experience, if the schools know anybody (friend of friend etc) who works for the US state department, they can sometimes move things along.  Ask everybody you know and see if they know anybody!! Wishing you the best of luck.  This is just horrible…

3 minutes ago, MPatti said:

FlexyNexy, I am so sorry that is the case.  I will say in my past experience, if the schools know anybody (friend of friend etc) who works for the US state department, they can sometimes move things along.  Ask everybody you know and see if they know anybody!! Wishing you the best of luck.  This is just horrible…

Thank you MPatti, we will definitely try this too.  I just can not believe that they would not hire extra staff processing student visas when they know that September is coming and most auditions are during summer intensives.  

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this. We just went through this process in Australia. I would definitely keep trying and even contact some of the schools and see if they can help. I feel for you guys 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, lilacfairy said:

What about the U S Embassy in Edinburgh is that open ? They usually have more appointments available.

When we were seeking an appointment the only two choices were London or Belfast. I was visiting a European country last November and stayed opposite the US Embassy that was accepting appointments for US visas. I spoke with them to see if they would see Dd and they informed me that she had to go to her own countries US embassy. So no luck there 😢

To add I have just looked at the US Consulate in Edinburgh and they say they do not issue visas and you have to go to the London US Embassy x

26102194-CA73-49F3-A337-89D73FD3F73E.png.13abd8b29acd6d5894beedda10ec4e4a.png

Edited by cotes du rhone !

On 05/07/2021 at 13:03, cotes du rhone ! said:

Try having two at vocational school 🤣🤯 It doesn’t even end when they graduate sadly £££

Oh yes it does.... my Hisband keeps reminding me & my 15 & 17 year olds.....feeling very anxious....& that years of training & costs could do easliy amount to nothing.... the whole visa situation sounds a nightmare too...is this also an issue to attend summer intensives there? Thinking next year... 

18 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Oh yes it does.... my Hisband keeps reminding me & my 15 & 17 year olds.....feeling very anxious....& that years of training & costs could do easliy amount to nothing.... the whole visa situation sounds a nightmare too...is this also an issue to attend summer intensives there? Thinking next year... 

Dss first year post graduation was in the US. He was paid but it still cost us a fortune to get him out there and set him up. Then the US contracts are only 9 months, August to May if you are lucky. Then you come back to the U.K. with no income for three months and the whole thing starts again 😩 Europe has been better. Cheaper to get him set up and they pay all year round 😊 And thats classed as a success 😅

Dd trained for 8 years and a term and had a contract but couldn’t get there so decided to stop. She took her pointe shoes off after her live Nutcracker performance with BRB and never put them on again. It made us feel sad at first but now we are all so much happier. Ballet isn’t the be all and end all. There is a lot of life after. I know a lot of girls who have made the same decision. Sometimes you just have to draw a line, physically, mentally or financially, whether that’s the child or the parents, enough is enough x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This year some USA schools and companies mentioned only to apply if you already hold visa (working or student)...regarding summer schools, we are doing all via Zoom this year (most of them are virtual and in person for people already in country). 

Before covid, my DD has attended summer schools on ESTA.  

• Like 1

FlexyNexy, I was just talking with some UK family.  You mentioned you have an appointment for next year, have you requested it to be expedited? My family mentioned you can request that, and need to list your reason. Not sure if that helps, or if you did that already.

19 hours ago, MPatti said:

FlexyNexy, I was just talking with some UK family.  You mentioned you have an appointment for next year, have you requested it to be expedited? My family mentioned you can request that, and need to list your reason. Not sure if that helps, or if you did that already.

Yes we did and they have declined it! It was rather automated message so I don't believe anyone actually looked into our request. Tried to call number of times and I didn't get anywhere.  We have even emailed and the message response was just bland and directing us to talk to immigration lawyer.  Hopeless. 

4 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

Yes we did and they have declined it! It was rather automated message so I don't believe anyone actually looked into our request. Tried to call number of times and I didn't get anywhere.  We have even emailed and the message response was just bland and directing us to talk to immigration lawyer.  Hopeless. 

‘Talk to immigration lawyer’..... yep, direct you to sinking ever more money....typical!