This recording has long been unavailable in this country which is a great pity since it is of great historical and artistic interest. This is one of the first ballet productions which Nureyev staged in the West and also one of the BBC's earliest outside television broadcasts in colour. De Valois thought it the best Nutcracker production that she had seen and reportedly said as much when she attended the premiere of Sir Peter Wright's production of the same ballet. I believe that she held to that opinion even when told how much Nureyev's staging owed to earlier Kirov stagings of the work.

Although I can't comment on whether any attempt has been made to clean the tape or not I think it extremely good news that it is once again possible to buy it.My recollections of the dancers who appeared in this recording was enough to persuade me to buy a copy of the DVD. The list of names that I have provided is far from complete. It merely reflects the names I can remember off the top of my head.

• Like 2

On 25/12/2020 at 13:08, FLOSS said:

This recording has long been unavailable in this country which is a great pity since it is of great historical and artistic interest. This is one of the first ballet productions which Nureyev staged in the West and also one of the BBC's earliest outside television broadcasts in colour. De Valois thought it the best Nutcracker production that she had seen and reportedly said as much when she attended the premiere of Sir Peter Wright's production of the same ballet. I believe that she held to that opinion even when told how much Nureyev's staging owed to earlier Kirov stagings of the work.

Although I can't comment on whether any attempt has been made to clean the tape or not I think it extremely good news that it is once again possible to buy it.My recollections of the dancers who appeared in this recording was enough to persuade me to buy a copy of the DVD. The list of names that I have provided is far from complete. It merely reflects the names I can remember off the top of my head.

@floss do you have a link to where to buy?   It’s not showing when I search for Nureyev or Nutcracker on Opus Arte website? 

On 29/12/2020 at 08:30, ninamargaret said:

But it's not Collier - the cover says quite clearly it's Merle Park.

Indeed !   That’s an Amazon description error.  I’ve reported it to them.   Who knows if anyone actually amends these things 🤷

On 29/12/2020 at 08:30, ninamargaret said:

But it's not Collier - the cover says quite clearly it's Merle Park.

Collier does appear in one of the diverts in Act 2.  She's listed in the 'Pastorale' along with Carole Hill and Wayne Sleep.  Maybe someone saw her name in the cast list and just assumed that she had a principal role?