Paris Opera Ballet La Bayadere streaming on December 13th

Paris Opera Ballet will be streaming La Bayadere on December 13th 14:30 Paris time on their new platform. It will cost 11.90 euros.

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/products/la-bayadere

ACTE I : Dorothée Gilbert, Germain Louvet, Léonore Baulac
ACTE II : Amandine Albisson, Hugo Marchand, Valentine Colasante
ACTE III : Ludmila Pagliero, Mathias Heymann

Trailer.

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/packages/la-bayadere/videos/trailer-bayadere

It will be available for 7 days. There are some more contents in their catalogue that could be viewed. 

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/browse

Just purchased my livestream for this. It looked like the same payment set up as the ROH streamed performances. Am going to purchase the RB streamed Nutcracker too and BRB Nutcracker and the Young dancers Academy livestreamed tonight with Vadim, Marianela, Matthew Ball and Yasmine. They are great initiatives to see world class ballet ballet that even in normal times I wouldn't have been able to see (not all of them anyway) but increasingly I can't wait to get back to the 'real thing' in a theatre and see them onstage.

• Like 4

There was a change in the cast for the third act. Instead of Pagliero as Nikiya it was Myriam Ould-Braham, who is Mathias Heymann's usual partner. I first saw them dance together in Fille when Alexander Grant mounted it for Paris: and very fine they both were in that. She wasn't entirely on form in Bayadere, and the standard was a bit variable across the company, but it was lovely to see the company dance the ballet, despite some of the out-dated elements in Nureyev's production.

But one of the highlights came after the ballet had finished when it was announced on stage that Paul Marque, who had danced the golden idol, had been promoted to etoile.

It's available for six more days.

• Like 5

I saw that Marque was promoted to Etoile.  Unfortunately I can't say I had heard of him, but congratulations to him anyway.  

I find it disappointing that Francois Alu is still not an Etoile.  It seems Aurelie Dupont has a downer on Alu, such a shame as I was so impressed with him when I saw him in Rubies and again in Swan Lake, albeit as Rothbart.  Personalities really should be set aside and promotions made on merit.  I have to say I joined the comments on instagram questioning why Alu has not been promoted (not that he appeared in this particular show) as there were many others asking the same.

I haven't seen all of this production yet but found certain elements slightly strange. At the start and end there seemed to be audience noises and there were two twenty minute intervals that were timed on the recording as if there was an audience, yet bows and curtain calls were taken in complete silence. You'd think they could at least have done what the RB did and have a few socially distancing dancers /stage crew in the audience. 

Also the small girls and non dancers onstage were all wearing face masks. Not the dancers of course but it still looked a bit odd. 

Having said that I do love the production. The sets and costumes are so opulent I think they put the RB production to shame. Perhaps could do with some stronger lighting in parts but that often seems a problem with many filmed Bayaderes. They look great at the theatre but not strong enough lighting for film. 

• Like 1

Paul Marque is only 23 but, according to Danses avec la plume (DALP), his promotion has been expected for a year, most probably after a performance of Raymonda, which got cancelled due to the strike. Apparently he won the Golden medal at Varna in 2016 and the following year was voted by AROP (the Opera  organisation, a bit like the Friends of Covent Garden) as dancer of the year. He is especially strong on classical roles, having chosen to dance Siegfried in a key promotion competition. As DALP states, the current preference under Dupont, the director of the ballet company, is for neoclassical and contemporary works, which won't benefit his career, although DALP stresses that Dupont, like Millepied before her, has encouraged his career, giving him many opportunities. And after the new Opera director(Alexander Neef) had announced his promotion, Dupont embraced Marque very warmly. It was all very emotional, Paul Marque looked overcome and the theatre erupted with loud applause.

This contrasted with the performance, where there was absolute silence each time the dancers took their bows, quite weird. (There was no audience).

The decision to allocate different dancers to each act didn't work well for me, the Nikiyas and Solor's were so different. The company does occasionally have different dancers in key roles in a full length ballet, most frequently for a well known etoile's final performance.

Joan has replied while I was typing this so I will miss out some points which would have repeated hers, but in addition to the 2 intervals, nothing happens for the opening 30 minutes, before the first act starts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FionaE said:

This livestream appears to be ‘only available until 31 December’

Is that correct? 

that's what the website says...although the wording is a bit confusing. I think we're in the "replay" period now. Anyway, they are still selling it. 

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/products/la-bayadere

Edited by oncnp