Dance school for over 18 in Europe

Piepie

Hi, I've had a look through previous forums and I can't find anything to look at, sorry if this has all been covered before.  My daughter wants to go to a contemporary school in Europe, preferably french speaking as she is doing french A-level.   Being realistic she is going to have to leave ballet behind, as she doesn't have the strength for pointe work (after six years of trying to find pointe shoes that fit, we have to accept that they don't exist).  She's at Tring at the moment. I need help with any aspect of auditioning in Europe, and auditioning this year when travel is going to be so difficult! 

We are trying to look at P.A.R.T.S, but I can't work out the audition process if anyone has any insight?  Then the two Conservatoires National Superieur in Lyon and Paris, ACTS ecole de dance, Paris Marais, Pole National Superieur.  Obviously can't afford to audition for all of them, but also can't find out any information about which is better, what their focus is on.  Her teacher mentioned Canada, but I think I want her closer to hand than that so don't know if I'm going to invest much effort in that :) 

Thank you for anyone who can help, this forum has always been so helpful through my dance parent life, especially as I don't know what I'm doing even now!! xx

Hi Pieple

My daughter auditioned for P.A.R.T.S. last year and was lucky to make it to their finals. They only do an intake every 3 years so next intake is not for another 2 years. As far as the process goes, they chose about 180 kids for their finals week and then cut that in half for the last day, and from that 90 chose 45. Have you considered Codarts in Rotterdam? not French but a very good contemporary school. Also SEAD in Salzburg looks good. DD was invited to finals at SEAD but the timing didn't fit with the rest of our travels so she ended up at NSCD. 

Hope this helps and good luck to your DD!

Thanks for your replies, I know this isn't a big area for people from the UK. Yes, they are soooo much cheaper, it makes you wonder how we charge so much if they can do it for so much less!! We are going to start a spread sheet to work out which ones to apply for :) 

• Like 1

Hello all,

Codarts is very popular and super training with students from all over Europe and beyond.The course though I believe is 4 years someone was telling me

There is a new school in the Atlantic Pyranees, run by Elephant in the Black Box of Madrid. They opened this month, but the school and company , with both pre-prof and professional courses, has been well establishged in Madrid for some time. Jean Philippe Dury and his team are excellent.  Check out their website. I would be happy for my DD to go there, , and indeed she won a scholarship in a competition to the summer intensive but she has a friend in the first cohort, who went from a more contemporary with classical vocational school where my DD is classical with contemporary., so we are bound to hear all about it very soon.

There are schools in Toulouse, Marseilles, Cannes( Rosella Hightower). Will try and fish out some names.  

There is PERA in Cyprus.

The University of Malta.

There are some new pre-professional companies opening up in Portugal. So watch  those as well.

Italy is strong in contemporary, so worth looking there too.

Some courses are free, some much cheaper than the UK, and some on a par because of the name.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colman said:

What are the fees like for non-EU students? 

This crossed my mind as had child at university in mainland Europe when the Brexit vote happened. His fees were very low and he could apply for the same benefits as home students. The students from outside the EU paid a lot more for the course. 

On 23/09/2020 at 22:21, alison said:

I'm thinking there's definitely a benefit to be had in young hopefuls starting a European foreign language at secondary school, depending on where they might want to study in the future.

Smart idea Alison! Thinking suss out first choice school & country & it’s language then find back up plan schools with same language & definitely start learning to speak/read it to get a head start! 

• Like 1