Open Air Cinema, Royal Ballet in Covent Garden

Covent Garden is teaming up with one of London’s leading art institutions, the Royal Opera House, to launch the capital’s only free open-air cinema this summer. 

Guests will be able to enjoy socially distanced evening screenings in the Covent Garden Piazza as part of a three-day programme, running from September 11-13.

Cinema on the Piazza, which is organised in partnership with Luna Cinemas, will feature evening screenings of ROH’s productions of Swan Lake, Alice in Wonderland and La Bohème. There will also be matinee showings of The Greatest Showman, Back to the Future and Mrs Doubtfire over the weekend. 

Fans attending the screenings can order food online from Covent Garden restaurants, including The Oystermen, Buns & Buns and Frenchie.

Tickets are complimentary, although a donation to the Royal Opera House is encouraged. They can be booked here.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/royal-opera-house-free-openair-cinema-covent-garden-a4539216.html

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1

I didn't check the tickets as I can't go but I hope they will be available soon. I can't find anymore about it on the net, maybe when someone does they can post so that those who want to go can get a ticket.

Edited by Janite

I wonder which casts it will be?  They do have multiple options, although I'm guessing that the Swan Lake will have to be the Nunez/Muntagirov version.  Bit of a shame Alice is on in the evening, given what a "family-friendly" ballet it is, though.

8 hours ago, alison said:

Bit of a shame Alice is on in the evening, given what a "family-friendly" ballet it is, though.

Now you say that I wonder if it is to do with space in Covent Garden not being as used in the evening?

Hope you enjoy it if you do go 😊
The thought of getting all the woollies out now ready for the winter ..even just the thought of wearing socks again lol ...not a happy prospect! I hate having to leave the summer behind in normal years anyway but this particular winter especially not looking forward to. 
I have this thing about delaying having to wear a jacket again until very last moment it’s surprising how often you can get to nearly October before giving in but it’s the evenings which usually are chilly by mid September( although Tuesday this week nearly did it for me already 😳

The ballets and opera being shown in this initiative are the ones being shown at the drive in cinemas so presumably a deal has already been struck about rights etc and can easily be extended to London. Seems a good idea and a boost for local cafes as well. I always used to like the Covent Garden screenings, more intimate than Trafalgar Square, though the cobbles are terrible to sit on! I used to bring a cushion and sit at the back and use the crash barriers as a back rest. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...