Research for a Novel - Part 2

glowlight

Thankyou to everyone who has responded to the thread about pointe work.  So much information, and some wonderful anecdotes.  

It hadn't occurred to me how stressful it must be for an 11 year old, away from home for the first time, being faced with pointe shoe ribbons to sew!

Now I have some questions about timetabling at vocational schools.

• How much ballet do students do in Year 7?  
  • Do boys and girls have separate classes?
  • What do they do in the way of other dance genres?
  • How does the dance timetable fit in with the school timetable - eg do they do school work in the morning and dance in the afternoon, or is dance mixed in amongst other lessons as PE would be at a regular school.
  • Do they do ballet exams?

I appreciate it is probably different at different schools.  I'm just keen to get an idea of how things work so that I can make my story as realistic as possible.

Hi, 

year 7 do a 2 hour ballet class in the morning and then another form of dance in the afternoon, could be character or national or something like that.

yes they have separate classes 

different schools timetable differently and so do different school years, but my experience, year 7s do ballet first thing, then academics then lunch then academics then dance again ( not necessarily ballet) no ballet exams 

14 hours ago, Mrs Brown said:

I have absolutely no idea at all BUT my 11 year old would love to read your book when it is done!

Let's hope its finished while she's still young enough to enjoy it!

At the moment it's progressing in fits and starts because of fitting it in around work.  

I also stalled big time at the start of the COVID epidemic - couldn't do anything creative at all!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, glowlight said:

Let's hope its finished while she's still young enough to enjoy it!

At the moment it's progressing in fits and starts because of fitting it in around work.  

I also stalled big time at the start of the COVID epidemic - couldn't do anything creative at all!

It sounds like an amazing book! I’m nearly entering upper school but I’d still love to read it 😂 (having never gone to lower school!).