DADA tax year

Mamaderuby

Hi all. I understand that DADA funding is based on previous tax year records, for September 2021 entry, would be based on April 20/21 tax return. Is this correct? My question is, if you are tax resident in another European country whose tax year runs from January to December (in my case, Spain), do you use the 2020 tax year (Jan to Dec) or do you provide monthly records for April to April.

I know there are some Irish mums on the forum and that Ireland also have January to December tax year, maybe you can help. I do realise this question might be theoretical as with Brexit this may not be an option for us, but until there has been an announcement regarding DADAs and student loans for EU students for September 2021 entry, I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

For UK it is based on the last submitted tax return, so for September 2021 it would be the 2019 - 20 return, due to be submitted by Januaury 31st 2021.  It might depend on the last date that returns must be submitted if you have the tax year to 31st December.  

My DD was offered a DADA and as Irish tax residents that posed same issue for us, we work on calendar tax year here. Registrar of school in question suggested we get our Accountant to compile Apr 19 - Apr 20 summary of accounts (my husband is self-employed) for 2020 entry. In the end, she has accepted an offer at another school & as it is a degree, DADA funding not applicable. 

Best of luck with it all. There’s such a lot involved in the whole process but this forum really helps, I’d have been lost this past year or so without it!😊 

• 3 years later...

How is DaDa funding assessed for years 2 and 3? If a DaDa is awarded for year 1 but parental income fluctuates substantially either up or down is there a possibility that the DaDa awarded also changes in amount offered for the next years? 

My DD graduated last year and had a DADA for her upper school training, having had an MDS for lower school.  The DADA was assessed once at entry point into the upper school and not again.  I queried this having been used to annual reassessment with the MDS but was told that the DADA is only assessed the once for the full 3 year course.  So no, once you have your award figure it remains the same until your DC finishes their course.

1 hour ago, dancefanatic said:

My DD graduated last year and had a DADA for her upper school training, having had an MDS for lower school.  The DADA was assessed once at entry point into the upper school and not again.  I queried this having been used to annual reassessment with the MDS but was told that the DADA is only assessed the once for the full 3 year course.  So no, once you have your award figure it remains the same until your DC finishes their course.

So helpful- thank you!