Lena1234

Hello,

I am from Germany and my daughter (17) will be audition for Laine Theatre Arts in April. Coming from Germany and English not her first language it would be really great to know how the day works in more detail and any tips as she is already nervous!!

also she has less singing and acting training so any tips for that would help- 1) how do you mark on sheet music your chosen 16-24 bars 

2) what do they do in the acting workshop?

thanks so much for any help!

My daughter didn't audition at Laine but she did audition at similar colleges and my dh has been on the audition panel for MT colleges.

With the sheet music simply cross through the bars she doesn't want playing with straight lines and mark the start and end of the cut with clear brackets.  This website gives a decent explanation.  https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/mark-music-accompanist-1251/

Tape the music so that the accompanist doesn't have to page turn.  The best way to set the tempo is to go up to the pianist and hum or softly sing the first couple of bars.  So many people try to beat time and unless they are highly trained musicians they rarely get it right.  Never ever click your fingers at the pianist!

• Like 1

The acting  is a workshop, you will get a selection of scripts a couple of weeks before. They will be able to choose characters from it but make sure she knows all characters well and research them you tube etc.

I don't want to tell you what the scenes were from as it would be unfair to others  but it was good fun,my daughter really enjoyed her day.

Dance was tough in parts,ballet is very closely observed, more than the jazz. 

Choose the best part of the song to show her voice and remember to act.

Don't let other more confident appearing applicants put her off,remain focused and take lots of snacks! Not too much make up either,there definitely isn't a Laine look contrary to rumours, all shapes ,sizes,races ,sexes attend.

Mine was offered a place despite only dancing for 5 years which is a massive achievement. 

Edited by balletagogo

Hi my daughter is in her 2nd year at Laine and is loving every minute - the audition day is very inspiring and Miss Laine and the other Vice Principal’s do a really lovely parent question talk on the day so would be good if you could go with your daughter - ballet is looked at very carefully but so are all the other genres as they like a good mix of talent - it’s smaller than some of the other MT uk colleges so definitely has a more friendly family feel - try to tell your daughter to enjoy herself and show her love of performing ☘️💕

Edited by Belleballerina
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for your comments! They are very helpful to also here from a parent of a student there.

One of the reasons my daughter likes Laine is because the standard of ballet also seems good which is important for her as she is quite classically trained but has started to move into music theatre.

One of my concerns is the finance. I’ve heard that there are DADAS and scholarships available but although my daughter is a very strong technical dancer, her singing and acting is weaker so I’m guessing she probability wouldn’t be likely to get that?

Also for the singing does she have to bring sheet music for the whole song or just the 24 bars she’ll sing.

She needs to bring the whole song and know her character well. 

10 minutes ago, Lena1234 said:

Thanks so much for your comments! They are very helpful to also here from a parent of a student there.

One of the reasons my daughter likes Laine is because the standard of ballet also seems good which is important for her as she is quite classically trained but has started to move into music theatre.

One of my concerns is the finance. I’ve heard that there are DADAS and scholarships available but although my daughter is a very strong technical dancer, her singing and acting is weaker so I’m guessing she probability wouldn’t be likely to get that?

Also for the singing does she have to bring sheet music for the whole song or just the 24 bars she’ll sing.