Elmhurst summer school 2020

Dance*is*life

I would be very grateful for any info on the senior summer school at Elmhurst.  The website doesn't really give much info about the accommodation.  Does the course start with classes on the Sunday or is it just an introduction on the Sunday? In other words can you stay overnight from the Saturday or only from Sunday? If you decide not to take with accommodation, I know you have to pay extra for meals, but can you attend the activities in the evening? Are all participants in the summer school accommodated in the Elmhurst residences, which I believe are on site? Thank you very much!

My older d/d did it 3 years ago when she was 15 and from what I can remember they all arrived on the Sun afternoon and the timetable started on the Mon morning. They all stayed in Elmhurst accommodation, which is very safe, my daughter shared a room but I think older ones had single rooms. Not much happened in the evening tbh, they had a talk with members of BRB in the Elm theatre one evening and maybe a disco another evening? Mostly they seemed to be in bed early cos they were all tired much to her disappointment! 😂

But she thoroughly enjoyed the summer school and made friends from all over world.

Yes when I went (2 years ago), Sunday evening was getting to know our house-mates (I was in a twin room, you can choose who you want to room with beforehand but I didn't know  haha). And then classes were every day including Saturday, when there was a little show (you had to have a black/dark leotard for it).

The evenings were fairly relaxed, we had a cinema night where we watched RB Romeo and Juliet, we got to watch a pas de deux rehearsal from Brandon Lawrence and Celine Gittens, a disco and I think the younger of the seniors were meant to have a mime masterclass with Marion Tait. But all the classes throughout the day are taken by BRB dancers.

19 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

I would be very grateful for any info on the senior summer school at Elmhurst.  The website doesn't really give much info about the accommodation.  Does the course start with classes on the Sunday or is it just an introduction on the Sunday? In other words can you stay overnight from the Saturday or only from Sunday? If you decide not to take with accommodation, I know you have to pay extra for meals, but can you attend the activities in the evening? Are all participants in the summer school accommodated in the Elmhurst residences, which I believe are on site? Thank you very much!

My DD has just turned 15 when she attended Elmhurst SS back in 2017. When we applied we had no idea of anyone else also applying as it does appear to be a lottery. Much to our delight she was offered a place and subsequently we submitted all the residential paperwork. Not knowing (or so she thought) anyone else she just requested a room with another pupil that would be in her group/class. Just a couple of weeks before attendance my DD discovered a friend she had made at another SS from a different school was also going to be there they quickly requested a room share. We were delighted to hear that the school reallocated the rooms to allow the girls to share. 
We had checked with Elmhurst if my DD could checkin on the Saturday as we don’t live in the UK and were booking flights. Understandably they couldn’t offer that option as it is the one day off for the staff between courses. We stayed in a hotel overnight in the area. Registration day (Sunday) is busy but well organised and friendly. 
Staff showed us to the allocated rooms (small but perfect for the week) not en-suite. But as the boys and girls are on separate floors there’s no issues with the shared bathrooms. 

We were encouraged to leave them to shortly afterwards. The staff laid on a BBQ one evening (even though Birmingham summer evenings are not exactly the warmest!!) , a masterclass and presentation night incl a Q&A from the BRB. evenings fly by. Elmhurst is designed like a U on its side. The school/studios are at the front  with the residential block at the back. The two are linked by a covered walkway with a grass area in the middle. Very secure and well lit. Set well back from the road. The school is surrounded by a high wall and gated.  All doors are secure and opened with a swipe card of which the staff are available to help the pupils out when invariably they forget their cards!! 
my DD back then was rather ‘selective’ with her meal choices (we had packed for those ‘just in case’ moments but she was quite happy with the meals on offer. Classes were much larger than what she was used to but the studios are light and airy so can handle the bigger groups very well. 
She thoroughly enjoyed her week at Elmhurst which was only one week after her attendance at ENB SS. Happy to answer any further questions if you think it may help. 🙆‍♀️

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Elmhurst summer school 2020

I’d be interested to hear a comparison between the Elmhurst & ENBS courses....

which did your DD enjoy most? At which did she feel she gained most in terms of progress/learning new things/corrections?

Did either actually have main school dance faculty teaching? Did it make your DD want to attend either full time? Sorry for the interrogation! 

And a parent thing here.... which did you think was best value for money?

Also you say you are overseas.... any other SS you’d recommend around the World?!

On 07/01/2020 at 19:48, Peanut68 said:

I’d be interested to hear a comparison between the Elmhurst & ENBS courses....

which did your DD enjoy most? At which did she feel she gained most in terms of progress/learning new things/corrections?

Did either actually have main school dance faculty teaching? Did it make your DD want to attend either full time? Sorry for the interrogation! 

And a parent thing here.... which did you think was best value for money?

Also you say you are overseas.... any other SS you’d recommend around the World?!

I’ve sent you a pm as I thought that might be easier. ☺️