Grade 5 adult exam

Farli

Hello. 

This is is my first post so not sure if I’m doing it right but here goes....

I am a mature adult taking my RAD Grade 5 exam very soon. I am worried about my facial expressions! I am used to performing on stage and also competing at another discipline, however, I asked my teacher if I am allowed to smile during the exam and she said yes but not a full smile or over the top.  Can anyone tell me what I should do. Am I allowed to smile with teeth showing or reign it in to more of a grin? It’s stressing me out as I don’t want to look miserable or worried but also don’t want to overdo things,  I absolutely love dancing and could smile all the way through but not if it’s going to cost me marks.  This is my first exam since I was little so I am really nervous but also so passionate, I really want to do my best. 

Sorry it this is a stupid question! But thank you in advance for any advice 

best wishes

Farli. 

Hi Jan

Thanks so much for replying and for the info. Where do I find the tags? Sorry, I haven't been on a forum before. Do I write my question again when I have the tags? Thank you re the exams! I'm so nervous! 

Thank you

Farli

Edited by Farli

10 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Farli and welcome to the Forum!

We've got quite a few adult ballet dancers who contribute so I hope you will join in with them too.  I've added a couple of tags to your thread that you can search on.

Good luck with the exam!

1 minute ago, Farli said:

Hi Jan

Thanks so much for replying and for the info. Where do I find the tags? Sorry, I haven't been on a forum before. Do I write my question again when I have the tags? Thank you re the exams! I'm so nervous! 

Thank you

Farli

Hi Farli,

If you look at the top of the page underneath the title you should see 2 little black boxes.  These are the tags.  You just click on either of them and they will give you a list of topics that also have the same tag.  For example, if you click on the Adult Ballet tag you get this list:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/tags/Adult Ballet/

You can then see if you are interested in any of the subject matter and just click on the one you are interested in to see that thread.

Happy searching!

Smile! If you love to dance, show it. I've always been told to show your love of dance in exams.

It is however worth thinking of the style of the dance. I'm not sure if it's RAD Grade 5 you're doing, but assuming so - the tarantella for example is a joyous dance, so it would be utterly appropriate to grin. The adage on the other hand is more delicate, so I'd settle for a serene but not wildly enthusiastic facial expression. Does that make sense at all? 

Hi Farli,

Welcome to the forum. I'm one of the other mature adult students here who take exams. About your question - well, you get marks for expression and communication, and smiling is definitely part of that. I think the important thing is that it should be natural and sincere, a genuine expression of your feeling for and about that movement. So if you love dancing and it makes you smile, show it! I agree with what Ballet Chick says above - appropriate to the style/music/feel of the exercise. So personally I always smile in tendus and allegros but would tend to look more serious and thoughtful for ports de bras.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hi Farli,

If you look at the top of the page underneath the title you should see 2 little black boxes.  These are the tags.  You just click on either of them and they will give you a list of topics that also have the same tag.  For example, if you click on the Adult Ballet tag you get this list:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/tags/Adult Ballet/

You can then see if you are interested in any of the subject matter and just click on the one you are interested in to see that thread.

Happy searching!

1 hour ago, Balletchick said:

Smile! If you love to dance, show it. I've always been told to show your love of dance in exams.

It is however worth thinking of the style of the dance. I'm not sure if it's RAD Grade 5 you're doing, but assuming so - the tarantella for example is a joyous dance, so it would be utterly appropriate to grin. The adage on the other hand is more delicate, so I'd settle for a serene but not wildly enthusiastic facial expression. Does that make sense at all? 

Hi Balletchick

Thank you so much! That's perfect. Yes it's grade 5 RAD. That makes a lot of sense so I can now factor that into my practice sessions. Thanks for replying. 

1 hour ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

Hi Farli,

Welcome to the forum. I'm one of the other mature adult students here who take exams. About your question - well, you get marks for expression and communication, and smiling is definitely part of that. I think the important thing is that it should be natural and sincere, a genuine expression of your feeling for and about that movement. So if you love dancing and it makes you smile, show it! I agree with what Ballet Chick says above - appropriate to the style/music/feel of the exercise. So personally I always smile in tendus and allegros but would tend to look more serious and thoughtful for ports de bras.

Hiya

Oh this is great. Thank you so much. I seem to naturally know what to do for character dance I was just scared about overdoing it in the other areas. That makes perfect sense and I will go and practise with some facial expression.  My teacher keeps saying I look worried lol, well I am nervous, but I think the problem has been that I just don't know what to do with my face! This is very helpful. Thank you again ! 

I think the important thing is to look alive and not blank/total concentration/frightened rabbit. In the RAD summer intensive last year the teacher demonstrated a fondu exercise, beautifully but with an absolutely blank demeanour. And then he repeated it with attitude to show how it comes alive  - he favoured a James Bond villainess vibe, but the important thing was to show who you are and to say something. Is Grade 5 the one with the Kitri dance? That needs a bit of sass - a red tutu feel!

• Like 1

Hey Red Shoes

Wow! I bet that was amazing ??? Yes, I think that's what I look like! Petrified ! Now you have explained it too me I understand. I was just confused as the teacher had said not to overdo it and have a pleasant look about you but I didn't know what she meant or how to.achieve that. . Now I know I can smile and won't lose marks for showing my teeth, I think I will relax a bit and hopefully enjoy it! 

I don't know the dance name were doing in Grade 5 but it's kind of pretty and Twee, i would say. 

Thank you again for all your advice. Really means a lot. 

Best wishes

I don't know the official answer but the replies above seem to make perfect sense. My understanding is that as there are marks for musicality and performance, they like you to understand the mood of the piece and portray that as others have said above. I am another adult that does syllabus work - I did RAD grade 6 earlier this year at age 44 and like you, it was my first one since I was about 13! Good luck with your exam and I hope you enjoy it.

Hey! 

Ah that's great. Thank you. That's great advice! I will definitely put that into practice. I think I've been so caught up with trying to learn the syllabus I haven't really heard the music if that makes sense. Wow. Congratulations to you! I am 49 and been back to adult ballet for 4 years. Picked it up and down through out my life but never really stuck to it as I always felt too old. Plus, back then they didn't have adult classes. Altho the syllabus work is with young adults but I really don't mind. I think u hit a point in your life where you stop caring about what others think and focus on your life goals. It was the best thing I ever did and am hoping to do more if I pass grade 5. Thank you for sharing your story and thoughts. Very much appreciated. Oh, also, do you know how long before you get your results? I don't think you find out on the day do you? Thank you again ! 

• Like 1

Alas,it takes about 6 weeks for the results to come through so weeks of uncertainty. The official results date for each exam session is on the RAD website.

I came back to ballet three years ago after a 25 year break. I'm 66  and will be taking Grade 7 in March. I have taken Grade 6 and Inter in the last few years.

• Like 1

Yes the music is key. If you think how the music makes you feel then you'll be okay.

Most of us do it naturally when not under the pressure of an exam! 

A few few months back the teacher in our local Saturday class unexpectedly used this famous Scottish piece ....Scotland the Brave..I think for a grand battement plus retire exercise at the barre. You couldn't help but smile ...almost break into some Scottish dancing steps...but certainly did the exercise with more gusto than usual!! 

Oh wow! Yes that's makes so much sense and I agree, that without the pressure I don't think I would look as scared lol.  When I perform on stage I cant stop smiling but this is terrifying. I hope I will be able to relax and enjoy it.  We have some nice upbeat pieces of music so that should help. I might even smile too much !! Thank you so much for replying. Means a lot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

Alas,it takes about 6 weeks for the results to come through so weeks of uncertainty. The official results date for each exam session is on the RAD website.

I came back to ballet three years ago after a 25 year break. I'm 66  and will be taking Grade 7 in March. I have taken Grade 6 and Inter in the last few years.

Wow!! What an amazing achievement! I hope I can achieve as much as you.  Trouble is the mind wants to do things my body can't lol but I am absolutely loving it, infact I can't get enough of it.  It absolutely completes me.  

Thank you for sharing your incredible story and for re the results. So I will be nervous all over again in January lol. Thank u again and thanks for being so inspiring. 

Edited by Farli
  • Like 4