Northern ballet summer school (Manchester)

Balletnovice

Does anybody have any experience of this summer school? My 15 year old daughter is keen to go but I’m reluctant to sign her up as she won’t know anybody and she will need to stay in accommodation provided as we live too far away to commute. Classes finish at 4pm so I’m wondering what they do in the evening? The last day to register is tomorrow as I’m leaving it all to the very last minute........

Thank you in advance 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern ballet summer school (Manchester)

Can’t comment on this particular summer school but Dd attended a number of summer schools not knowing anyone both in UK and mainland Europe, she soon made friends. Is your Dd thinking of auditioning at Northern next year? If so attending the SS will give her a feel for the place but be aware classes may not be taught by regular staff. 

No she’s not auditioning for next year she’s just looking for good quality classes. She likes the idea of the different classes they offer-ballet (first love), musical theatre, jazz and contemporary. If anyone can recommend a different option then I’d be grateful.

I have read good things about Northern Ballet School’s summer school but have no experience of it so I can’t assist any further. If most of the students attending stay in the school’s accommodation then I’m sure that your DD would soon make friends with others and travel back and forth together, make evening plans etc. Manchester is a great city with lots happening. Perhaps a call to NBS to ask about accommodation and any evening plans and student safety might set your mind at rest?

If you would prefer a more sheltered environment then we can personally recommend York Scholars’ summer school, which is usually held in early August at Queen Margaret’s school, Escrick, North Yorkshire. The students stay on site in the school accommodation and the teaching was great when my DD attended, with Brenda Last and Olivia Pickford amongst others. - I have just Googled it and it is from 5th-8th August at Queen Margaret’s, offering ballet, jazz, contemporary and musical theatre classes. I don’t know if there are spaces available but can recommend it. 

• Like 1

My DD is a full time student but has fellow class friends that attended the SS prior to auditioning as well as friends from her old academic school that attended. 

They all appear to thoroughly enjoy the mix of genre classes. The staff take good care of the pupils and the accommodation is nearby. (Walking distance). Not sure if they use the same ‘halls’ as the full time pupils as that would be self catering and I know the pupils had meals provided. Easy transportation links to the school (Oxford Rd railway station) a few doors away. Public carparks also nearby which maybe helpful for the last day as I think there’s a performance of some kind. Plenty of food outlets literally under the school if needed as well as Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s express in case additional supplies are required.  The Palace Theatre just up the road and I believe pupils can go to a performance in the evening subject to whichever tour is in house. The Book of Mormon is showing at present which is absolutely fabulous (went last week) but maybe not quite suitable for the younger teens 😉.   Most pupils that attend any of the many SS’s are so tired at the end of the day, evening entertainment isn’t always needed. Just chillaxing and friendly banter. 

The teens who were either 14 or 15 at the time absolutely loved their week. Hard work but in a friendly supportive environment. 

Edited by balletbean

I can recommend Kings International Summer School in Rugby 4th August to 10th August. The children sleep in individual rooms in the very dorms of the Rugby School (think Tom Brown's Schooldays) with meals taken in the refectory and evening entertainment and activities, games, quizzes etc. so supervision is excellent . There is a non-residential option if outside accommodation suits others.The course is all on the campus of this beautiful school and there is a showcase of the work and choreographies in the Macready Theatre on the last afternoon for the parents and family members. The teachers are the directors of the school and members of the faculty and invited guests.  It is open to national and international students, of which there were several last year.  Last years show included contemporary repertory work, La Bayadere excerpts, jazz, commercial. All good standard and  my daughter danced her first pas-de deux in public. It brought a tear to my eye.... and her grandma who had never seen her dance.

My dd returns this year.

Can find details on the school site or Facebook page, but happy to give contacts if interested or any other details.