Medial collateral ligament injury

w445403

Picked up a limping, in obvious pain, CAT student yesterday and took him, off to A&E to be told he had a medial colleteral ligament injury - a second degree sprain! No dancing, no sport for 4 - 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience of this and what was the recovery like? How has it affected your DS/DD since? I know everyone is different but just wanted to know a bit more about other peoples experience. I know no matter what I do I won't be able to get him to rest it as much as he should!! :(

Well, he has to rest. Ligaments are a soft tissue injury and subject to chronicity - it could happen again. Ligaments bind bone to bone and don't have much of a blood supply. So, there is a choice let it really heal - long after the pain is gone it is still healing or take the chance of it becoming chronic.

I wish him the best.

I'm really sorry to hear this. He's not had much luck in the last year with appendix and injuries :unsure: I hope he didn't have any auditions planned this term?

I'm no expert on spoirts injuries but I think he really shouldn't be stressing the joint (and hence the ligament) while it is healing. Can he get some advice from a physiotherapist?

Good Luck for his recovery. Hope he is fit to make the Hammond Associates in December :)

Good Luck for his recovery. Hope he is fit to make the Hammond Associates in December :)

Sorry to hear about the injury :(

Off topic tho, what's that about Hammond Associates? It's not the auditions for next year is it? I'm on the mailing list for that but not heard anything yet. It's probably not but I saw the mention and just wanted to double check!!

Ultrasound, ASAP! My DD damaged a ligament, we waited ages in A and E and " No dance for at least six weeks!". Ultrasound aids blood flow and encourages healing as a result. Chiropractors use it, so I would ring round to find one who does. My DD was back at lessons in a month and pain free to the amazement of her dance teacher. :)

Sorry to hear about the injury :(

Off topic tho, what's that about Hammond Associates? It's not the auditions for next year is it?

No Aurora don't panic it's nothing to do with auditions!

I hope he didn't have any auditions planned this term?

No, no auditions luckily.

. Hope he is fit to make the Hammond Associates in December :)

Is there not a session in November? I've still not had any info - I think they've forgotten about us although I'm sure they'll get in touch when they want money lol

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about his injury :(

Six weeks with no dancing sounds like a long time, but I vaguely remember reading that ligaments can take longer than broken bones to heal. Resting it might well end up the best option, otherwise it could flare up again, and become a chronic nuisance.

Go and get him an assessment from a good sports physiotherapist. MCLs are particularly vulnerable to chronic injury due to the stress on the ligament from turnout so it's really important it heals really well at this stage. Don't rush it.

While he needs to avoid weightbearing activities there are plenty of conditioning exercises that he can do in a week or so once the initial injury starts to heal - eg floor barre, abdominals, back extensions

My DS had ligament injury (not same one - his was ligaments around heel area caused by having his heel resting incorrectly on the barre). We did get some ultrasound which helped a lot although no miracle recovery- from my memory it was genuinely around 6 weeks before he was totally pain free. It is very frustrating but I was rigid about not letting him dance if there was any pain- what's 6 weeks against a possible chronic injury which could be career ending?

Btw it has never recurred in the 2 years subsequent- and his hours dancing have gone from pre vocational 3-4 hrs/wk to vocational 30 or so hrs/week so I guess any chronic damage would have shown up by now.

• Like 1