Hammond Lower school auditions

lotsofdancers

Hi, my 10 year old dd is thinking of auditioning for the dance course at Hammond. Am I right in thinking that she doesn't need to prepare a vocal/singing solo for the audition?

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting very confused with all the different criteria needed for different schools!

Thanks

You don't have to play an instrument. She doesn't have to prepare a song and if she has a problem singing a solo you can ask them for her not too. She will probably still have to sing in a group though. They say at Hammond that singing is not taken into account when deciding for the dance course, so maybe you should try anyway. Phone them and speak to them, they are very approachable about your concerns.

I have often said this but my DD auditioned at Hammond and could not sing a note! She went for the dance and got accepted.

I think in the end she sang a line from "Happy Birthday" with the music teacher. It did not affect her audition in any way as they realise all children have different strengths.

However...four years on and she is auditioning for the chamber choir.....they have boosted her confidenc with singinge so much that her "Can't sing, won't sing" attitude has changed into a "ok, I'll give it a try". She may not ever be able to sing a lead role or even do a solo but when they all sing together it is lovely to hear.

Good luck!

T

• Like 1

Thanks, think she'd be quite happy to sing as she hasn't got a bad little voice, just that as she doesn't have singing lessons she will have nothing prepared, Just had a thought as I've been typing, they sing at school wonder if they've done a song in class that would be suitable to sing on her own!

Thanks, think she'd be quite happy to sing as she hasn't got a bad little voice, just that as she doesn't have singing lessons she will have nothing prepared, Just had a thought as I've been typing, they sing at school wonder if they've done a song in class that would be suitable to sing on her own!

I've heard of children singing Happy Birthday or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star so I wouldn't worry about the song too much :)

Edited by Kitschqueen_1

Its usually a pretty full on audition day at the Hammond. Typically the day starts with a ballet class, followed by a modern class, followed by lunch, a dance solo (1.30mins) a drama solo (1.30mins) & a vocal solo (1.30 mins). If you elect not to perform a vocal solo (which you can do as its not compulsory) then you will participate in a group vocal class. If you have prepared a vocal piece then you get to sing solo with a pianist, if you haven't, you get to sing a simple lyric with a group but will be picked out to sing a solo line or two during the session. The whole day is watched by a panel and also filmed. If you express an interest in auditioning you will be sent an informative information pack explaining everything you need to know and prepare for!

Edited by Black Swan
  • Like 1

DD didn't have to prepare a drama piece when she auditioned for the year 7 dance course last year - otherwise as described ie ballet class, a more modern/jazz class dance solo in any style and vocal solo if prepared plus a physio assessment and some academic tests (other academic tests completed at own primary school if offered place) x

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the singing, when my ds auditioned he sang ' the monkey' version of happy birthday!

He said the two that went in before him for the singing part of the audition had amazing voices, he knew he didn't and besides he didn't have

anything prepared. So he improvised and even finished on a daaaadaaaaahhh!!

He was offered a place!

• Like 2

to answer the questions about 6th form auditions, you have to prepare a drama piece and a monologue as well as a dance solo. All the info is on their 6th form application form.

All the year 11 parents there were warned that this years 6th form auditions were tougher than previous years!

T

• Like 1