Adult absolute beginners courses in Central London

RuthE

22 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Hi Ruth - not that I’m nagging or anything 😏 (yeah, right) but I’d be really interested in your experience of Ms Frost’s and Mr Kierce’s classes. I recommend Hannah Frost’s classes a lot (and really like them myself) - but I’m not a beginner, so I’m interested in other people’s views. 

Sorry! 😁

10 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Oh I feel your pain! I've been told probably every class I've taken. And ribs down. Hannah's most recent to me was "stop wriggling your hips." But isn't it lovely when she gives you a sideways nod as she walks past you in class? It makes me feel that all my hard work is paying off, to get that note of approval from her!

Yes, absolutely. On the basis of having attended a grand total of one of her classes (a Friday 7pm at Central), I concur with both parts of this. She caught me making a "concentrating face" and told me I looked like a turtle. And at one point during centre practice I let my turnout go on my standing leg, corrected it, and she immediately said "your foot read my mind". But the number of approving nods was pleasing.  Also, on the pastoral side, I liked that Hannah started by asking the names of everyone she hadn't taught before.

I found her combinations at the barre longer and less immediately memorable than some, but I am sure that was simply to do with not being used to her style. I don't doubt that after a few more of her classes it'll inherently come more naturally to me.  And her class felt like a physically-exerting workout more than any other class I've taken.  She set a changement exercise at the end of class and made us keep doing it until we got it right.  I came out of that class feeling like I'd run a 5km.

I will definitely be returning to this class (or the Saturday one at Danceworks) on a semi-regular basis, and it's feasible for me to do so - on most average weeks I am free either on Friday early evening or Saturday mid afternoon.  I've decided against signing up to that class I was considering at The Place on Mondays for practical reasons (can’t do 2 of the dates, both of which are in the same part of term as all the Bank Holidays, so I think continuity would be an issue), but will aim to attend one of Hannah's classes most weeks alongside my regular Tuesday class at City Lit, and to drop in at David's on the odd occasion when I'm free (of which more in a separate post).

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/04/2019 at 18:38, RuthE said:

But the number of approving nods was pleasing.  Also, on the pastoral side, I liked that Hannah started by asking the names of everyone she hadn't taught before.

Hurrah! congrats on the approving looks. They are hard work to earn. I've never thought about the length of her combinations, but I suppose I'm used to more advanced classes. Also, I think her centre is simpler than her barre - I don't know if you found this? THe allegro is pretty basic, and adage also - often her class is quite crowded so that also limits what she sets.

Thanks for reporting back - I often recommend Ms Frost as one of the best London teachers for adult students, so it's interesting to hear other people's views. 

One of these days, try Renato Paroni's class =- you might find you enjoy his teaching style. And I leave his classes sooooo turned out ... I'd be really interested to hear your views on his classes.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

I promised I'd post again to talk about David Kierce's classes so here we are.

As I said early in this thread, I first tried one of David's Sunday-morning Absolute Beginner classes at Central shortly before I started my regular classes at City Lit, when I hadn't set foot in a dance studio for over a decade.  (As it happened, that was the day he decided to refresh the photos on his website, so I am immortalized in one of the pictures in all my slightly-overweight, not-as-young-as-I-used-to-be glory.) I'm never going to be a regular at these classes - being a church musician, I'm rarely free on Sunday mornings, and Thursdays are one of the days I usually save for going to the theatre - but have got into the habit of going when I'm free, and a couple of weeks ago I finally achieved the distinction of having a total beginner placed next to me on the barre because I vaguely know what I'm doing :D

I really like the basic rigour of these classes. The fact that the exercises are so simple (no turning and barely any port de bras) that I can concentrate on getting my body placement right without having to THINK too much about it.  This is in contrast to every other class I have ever done, where there's more centre work, arms, and combinations, and I get a mental workout as well as a physical one.  I wouldn't want this to be my only regular class as I think I'd soon find it quite samey, but as a contribution to a more eclectic schedule I think it's really doing me good.

@Kate_N I think I might give myself the benefit of a few months more experience before I start attempting classes labeled "Beginner/General"...  But when I do, it's good to know I'd have the option of several different days a week.

I was hoping to give the Tuesday-evening Absolute Beginner class at LRBS a go last week, but ended up getting detained too late in the office.  And now I won't have an opportunity to do so for the foreseeable future, as Tuesday is my regular class day and term starts next week.  I'm considering trying the Sunday 1:30pm one this weekend, however, as it is literally the only class in town at an appropriate level which fits in with this week's insane schedule and logistics.  If I like it it could become a more frequent thing, as I often find myself passing through Clapham Junction around 12:30pm on a Sunday on my way back from a choir job.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I really like the basic rigour of these classes. The fact that the exercises are so simple (no turning and barely any port de bras) that I can concentrate on getting my body placement right without having to THINK too much about it.  This is in contrast to every other class I have ever done, where there's more centre work, arms, and combinations, and I get a mental workout as well as a physical one.  I wouldn't want this to be my only regular class as I think I'd soon find it quite samey, but as a contribution to a more eclectic schedule I think it's really doing me good.

And I forgot to say... I'm an introvert and would never have thought I'd get along with a teacher with as madcap a personality as David.  But the above paragraph is the key.  For all the silliness, the teaching's perfectly serious.

• Like 2

Agree Ruth with your last post. 

As an adult it's great to get different things ......and sometimes completely different things ....from teachers.

David is brilliant for basic technique in his way of teaching.

I have another teacher who is all about style ....and the carriage of the arms etc as being an integral part of early learning ...as its part of the Dance ...at the barre!! Not to be added on later once you've got the feet etc etc!! 

Both approaches have their valid points.....though personally am slightly more sympathetic to the second .....but in the end I think the most important thing for learning is the enthusiasm of the teacher for teaching whatever his/her approach.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 23/04/2019 at 12:14, RuthE said:

And I forgot to say... I'm an introvert and would never have thought I'd get along with a teacher with as madcap a personality as David.  But the above paragraph is the key.  For all the silliness, the teaching's perfectly serious.

DPK's  'teaching persona'  is  a bit of an act - the cap goes on   ...   It  very interesting  if you  ever get to be in a class he is taking as a student ( it's happened to me - at Dancewroks - AIUI  David was going to be providing holiday cover for the  classes regualr teacher  so took the class  a few times toget  calibrated  to it;s feel ) still david  , still a  beautiful dancer  but  perhaps more the real him  ... 

• Like 2