Miyako Yoshida appointed National Ballet of Japan artistic director from 2020/21 season

Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida was announced to take over National Ballet of Japan from 2020/21 Season. (effective 2020/09)

Her contract will be until 2024/08. Great news.

http://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/release/detail/23_012652.html (Japanese) 

Currently National Ballet of Japan is lead by former Scottish Ballet principal Noriko Ohara.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Gosh! She was such a beautiful dancer. Does anyone know what she has been doing in recent years?

She is still dancing as a freelance dancer, she danced Flowers of the Forest by David Bintley in a gala this April which was broadcasted here. Also she will be dancing 3rd Act of Raymonda this August. She was still in top form when I saw her in Bintley in April. 

Also, she has been assistant to Peter Wright when Hungarian National Ballet danced his Sleeping Beauty. 

• Like 7

She clearly has a very strong relationship with Sir Peter Wright and he has had dealings with the Japanese ballet set up for some years.

I envy the National Ballet of Japan and salute their decision to make such an exceptional artist their director.

I had the privilege of seeing her in the school's graduation performance of Sleeping Beauty and she danced the Bluebird pas de deux with the late Errol Pickford.  I followed her career with SWRB and 5 years with BRB and saw many of her performances.  

My absolute favourite memory was her last performance as Aurora, partnered by her great friend Kevin O'Hare.  Right at the end as she bourred the length of the stage down to the front she was in floods of tears.  During the curtain calls she embraced Kevin as if she never wanted to let him go.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

She clearly has a very strong relationship with Sir Peter Wright and he has had dealings with the Japanese ballet set up for some years.

I envy the National Ballet of Japan and salute their decision to make such an exceptional artist their director.

I had the privilege of seeing her in the school's graduation performance of Sleeping Beauty and she danced the Bluebird pas de deux with the late Errol Pickford.  I followed her career with SWRB and 5 years with BRB and saw many of her performances.  

My absolute favourite memory was her last performance as Aurora, partnered by her great friend Kevin O'Hare.  Right at the end as she bourred the length of the stage down to the front she was in floods of tears.  During the curtain calls she embraced Kevin as if she never wanted to let him go.

What lovely memories of her and Errol Pickford & Kevin O! Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1