Press Release: Looking ahead to English National Ballet's Autumn-Winter Season

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet 
Autumn - Winter Season
Lest We Forget / Manon / Swan Lake / Nutcracker
20 September 2018 – 20 January 2019

This Autumn-Winter Season, English National Ballet presents four critically acclaimed productions, Lest We Forget, Manon, Swan Lake, and Nutcracker.   

bG9uZyBsZWFkIGNvbXBvc2l0ZS5qcGc=

To commemorate the end of the First World War, English National Ballet’s acclaimed Lest We Forget programme returns to Sadler’s Wells, London, in September 2018, opening the company’s 2018/2019 Season. Featuring three poignant works, Lest We Forget reflects on the experiences of those who fought in the conflict, and those who stayed behind. Drawing on superb design and evocative scores, choreographers Liam Scarlett, Russell Maliphant and Akram Khan have created dance pieces full of unforgettable and haunting images.

Continuing its commitment to UK touring and presenting world-class ballet to the widest possible audience, Autumn 2018 sees English National Ballet present Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon outside London for only the second time in 30 years, touring to Manchester, Southampton, and Milton Keynes. Famous for its expressive choreography and dramatic challenge, Manon features some of the most demanding and fulfilling roles in ballet. Manon is accompanied by Jules Massenet’s haunting music performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. 

Also performed as part of English National Ballet’s Autumn tour is its hugely successful production of the timeless classic, Swan Lake, choregraphed by Derek Deane. Touring to Liverpool and Bristol, Swan Lake features some of the most iconic scenes in ballet performed to Tchaikovsky’s glorious score performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Following performances of Manon and Swan Lake on tour, English National Ballet will present both productions at the London Coliseum in January 2019.

Continuing its Christmas tradition of presenting a Nutcracker production each year since 1950, English National Ballet’s Nutcracker returns to the London Coliseum following sold out performances in 2016 and 2017. Over 100 dancers and musicians bring to life the popular Tchaikovsky score featuring the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Waltz of the Flowers, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Alongside performances, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events throughout the Autumn/ Winter Season, aimed to provide a gateway into the world of ballet. Activities include on-stage workshops for all ages, Live Drawing, Family Events, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more details, see www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/ 

Ends 

Notes to Editors

Listings:

Lest We Forget
Sadler’s Wells, London
Thursday 20 September – Saturday 29 September 2018
Press night: Thursday 20 September, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.ballet.org.uk/lestweforget 

Manon
Manchester Opera House
Wednesday 17 October – Saturday 20 October 2018
Press night: Wednesday 17 October, 7.30pm
Box Office: 0844 871 3018 or www.ballet.org.uk/manon 

Manon
Milton Keynes Theatre
Wednesday 24 October – Saturday 27 October 2018
Press night: Wednesday 24 October, 7.30pm
Box Office: 0844 871 7652 or www.ballet.org.uk/manon 

Manon
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton
Wednesday 31 October – Saturday 03 November 2018
Press night: Wednesday 31 October, 7.30pm
Box Office: 02380 711811 or www.ballet.org.uk/manon 

Swan Lake
Liverpool Empire
Wednesday 21 November – Saturday 24 November 2018
Press night: Wednesday 21 November, 7.30pm
Box Office: 0844 871 3017 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 

Swan Lake
Bristol Hippodrome
Tuesday 27 November – Saturday 01 December 2018
Press night: Tuesday 27 November, 7.30pm
Box Office: 0844 871 3012 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 

Nutcracker
London Coliseum
Thursday 13 December – Sunday 30 December 2018
Press night: Thursday 13 December, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker 

Swan Lake
London Coliseum
Thursday 03 January – Sunday 13 January 2019
Press night: Thursday 03 January, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 

Manon
London Coliseum
Wednesday 16 January – Sunday 20 January 2019
Press night: Wednesday 16 January, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/manon 

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.

Yes, I saw it last time around.  Assuming they are using the Dane's set and costumes again I can say that the costumes in the brothel are HIDEOUS!!!  But I thought they were OK apart from that.  IIRC there were no hanging mangroves in the final scene, which worked for me.  

When I saw the Danes do it, one of the performances I saw (Caroline Cavallo & Andrew Bowman) was one of the best I have ever seen of Manon.

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Has anyone seen their Manon? it looks as if sets and costumes are different to the RB version. is this the case? if so, how does it compare?

Yes, designs are vastly different - and far easier for touring.  I remember them being a bit on the monochrome side, but could be mis-remembering.  The harlots' costumes are indeed totally unsuitable, but apart from that I didn't have any problems with them.