English youth ballet - dvd entry

dancertaxi

Hi

My dd was due to attend Buxton audition this week. Unfortunately this now clashes with something unavoidable and so cant attend. 

I emailed to inform them and Miss Lewis has just replied saying I can send in a DVD for assessment!  

Anyone else done this before? Any recommendations on what to send? DD could send her ballet solo from festivals which obviously shows her ability to perform or do I send polished grade 5 exercises??  

I have no experience of this and will be happy to be contradicted but I would send a bit of both so that your DD’s ballet solo performance can be seen alongside her polished technical expertise. Perhaps leaning more to the solo performance if a choice has to be made as of course EYB is a performance. 

Toi toi toi to your DD! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

I have no experience of this and will be happy to be contradicted but I would send a bit of both so that your DD’s ballet solo performance can be seen alongside her polished technical expertise. Perhaps leaning more to the solo performance if a choice has to be made as of course EYB is a performance. 

Toi toi toi to your DD! 

Thanks legseleven. I searched online for dvd entry and found nothing so any suggestions are most welcome.  

Dd hasnt done this audition before so its so hard to know what to send. 

Hi dancertaxi, my daughter auditioned by dvd a couple of years ago. She had to send a dvd of approximately 4 mins long. We included some set exercises from her current grade ( all centre work)  and a short solo that she had at the time . ... ( my dd got offered a place) good luck and smile 😀 . If you are worried what to include just give Miss Lewis a call, she would be very happy to help. 😀

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, abitwornout said:

Hi dancertaxi, my daughter auditioned by dvd a couple of years ago. She had to send a dvd of approximately 4 mins long. We included some set exercises from her current grade ( all centre work)  and a short solo that she had at the time . ... ( my dd got offered a place) good luck and smile 😀 . If you are worried what to include just give Miss Lewis a call, she would be very happy to help. 😀

Thanks thats really helpful.  

Can you remember, When you got told had got a place? 

All good advice.  Some years ago now that dd was on school journey at the time of her first EYB audition but yes, a mixture of exercises (one or two at the barre, the rest in centre) along with a short solo, with emphasis on a nice smile, pointed toes and obvious enjoyment.  

Oh and don't let dd wear deep purple; Miss Lewis HATES dark purple! ☺️

If you haven't heard anything a week or so after the date of the audition, drop Miss Lewis an email just checking that she received the dvd.  

31 minutes ago, Anna C said:

All good advice.  Some years ago now that dd was on school journey at the time of her first EYB audition but yes, a mixture of exercises (one or two at the barre, the rest in centre) along with a short solo, with emphasis on a nice smile, pointed toes and obvious enjoyment.  

If you haven't heard anything a week or so after the date of the audition, drop Miss Lewis an email just checking that she received the dvd.  

Aaaah yes , don’t wear purple. I’d forgotten about Miss Lewis’s strong dislike of the colour. 😁 

• Like 1

Dd1 auditioned (successfully) in her (favourite) deep purple leotard in Feb this year which I'd encouraged her to wear because I'd read elsewhere on this forum that it was lilac that Miss Lewis could not tolerate.

Think we'll avoid all shades of purple at casting 😱.

Good luck with the dvd!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Thanks All

Sent via Dropbox link so hopefully Miss Lewis will let me know if thats not an ok route. 

Dd in white festival tutu and standard black ballet uniform for exercises.  

• Like 1